Soft Keyboard disappears whenever a text comes in...

RemmyZero

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
i tried searching but unfortunately couldn't find anything here or on google.

i'm using 2.2.1 and handcent. basically whenever i am typing an email or text, if i get a new text (regardless of whether it's from a different person or the person i'm currently texting to) the soft keyboard goes away as if i hit the back button.

this happens whether im using swype, better keyboard or gingerbread keyboard. is this a handcent issue or does someone think i can fix this? as i said it also does it if im drafting an email and get a text. it's EXTREMELY annoying when you text 1000 texts or more a month lol.

thanks!

RemmyZero

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
bump....does this happen to no one else? what about the 47 people who read this? does this happen to you guys or is it just me?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
i tried searching but unfortunately couldn't find anything here or on google.

i'm using 2.2.1 and handcent. basically whenever i am typing an email or text, if i get a new text (regardless of whether it's from a different person or the person i'm currently texting to) the soft keyboard goes away as if i hit the back button.

this happens whether im using swype, better keyboard or gingerbread keyboard. is this a handcent issue or does someone think i can fix this? as i said it also does it if im drafting an email and get a text. it's EXTREMELY annoying when you text 1000 texts or more a month lol.

thanks!

Have you tried holding the menu button down?

I noticed that makes my swype keyboard force pop up or close

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

RemmyZero

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hustleman, do you mean to get the keyboard to come back on the screen? i have, and that works just fine but i dont believe it should be disappearing in the first place. i think this is a glitch. i have tried using the stock messaging app and it also happens. i'm debating on totally uninstalling handcent and seeing if that fixes it because i just don't remember this happening before which is why im curious as to what you stock people are seeing.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
It probably has something to do with Handcent. I use SMS Popup, which puts an incoming text message over anything else, including the lock screen. It's very convenient for me because I only text a few people and I can answer from the popup without having to unlock and go to the text folder.

However, if I am texting someone else and one comes in, it overlays whatever I am doing and knocks out the keyboard. So far, this doesn't happen often, simply because I don't get too many texts. But if I did, this would be a deal breaker.

So, this is why I'm thinking Handcent may be the culprit. Perhaps in the settings there is a way to control what's happening to you. Another alternative would be to uninstall and reinstall Handcent with a battery pull in between.

As a matter of fact, a battery pull should be tried first, if you haven't already done this. It will often clear weirdness. Hope this is of some help.

RemmyZero

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
well i have tried the battery pull and just now i uninstalled handcent and just tried using the stock app and the same thing happened. so its something within android i guess. ill try uninstalling my additional keyboard apk's too.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you have a notification that is causing the unit to minimize the pad because the other app is taking priority to the screen. Try turning off any notification app you have but Handcents and see what happens. I had a similar issue when I used sms popup app.

RemmyZero

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
well it appears that the issue was related to me using the "whoisit?" app for ringtone/sound profiles (a'la blackberry). since ive uninstalled it everything seems back to normal. although i had "whoisit?" before and didn't have this issue so maybe the update they recently issued broke something.

does anyone suggest another good ringtone profiler? lol

awjones

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
well it appears that the issue was related to me using the "whoisit?" app for ringtone/sound profiles (a'la blackberry). since ive uninstalled it everything seems back to normal. although i had "whoisit?" before and didn't have this issue so maybe the update they recently issued broke something.

does anyone suggest another good ringtone profiler? lol

This is fixed in the latest version. Sorry about that!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

hezzdown

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
well i have tried the battery pull and just now i uninstalled handcent and just tried using the stock app and the same thing happened. so its something within android i guess. ill try uninstalling my additional keyboard apk's too.

You may want to give ChompSMS a try. That is what I use and it has options to keep keyboard in focus. I can get incoming texts without the keyboard disappearing.