GPS telling me I am in a different state/country

G

GenericMessage

Yup, its been happening a lot the last week.

No new apps, not rooted. NOTHING.

Just started acting up. Truly a pity.

Its now sent in, and they gave me........

*gasp* A WM 6.0 phone. ACK!!!!!

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Weather? The other day it was a thick hazy rainy day.
I couldn't get GPS lock using Georg(a GPS program) but when I switched to Google Maps it locked instantly. I switched back and forth between the two, for forty minutes. Made me think that other apps can't tap into the cell tower assitance that Google maps uses.

G

GenericMessage

Everything, its all screwy!

Maps told me I was in Warsaw once.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
GPS telling me I am in a different state/country
That's because it's not using GPS to determine your location. The GPS receiver is unable to get a fix. I'd be willing to bet it's because GPS on the Droid is assisted (and, IIRC, can't fall back to standalone mode).

MRickrode

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
My wife uses the Motorola Droid, I'm an Eris guy, but today we were sitting side by side in the car and GPS had her somewhere across the Panama Canal while it had me in Virginia. She's running 2.1, I'm on the leaked version 3 of 2.1 for Eris and the weather was clear, not a cloud in the sky. We tried turning the GPS off and on and restarting the phone, all with no luck. Several hours later we checked again and it had cleared itself up. I'm hoping it was just a fluke and it won't happen again, she uses the gps pretty regularly.

G

GenericMessage

That's because it's not using GPS to determine your location. The GPS receiver is unable to get a fix. I'd be willing to bet it's because GPS on the Droid is assisted (and, IIRC, can't fall back to standalone mode).

But it is, I have network based location turned off.

G

GenericMessage

That's probably why it has you in a different state, if you had it on it'd at least put you in the right city most likely.

GPS is actually more accurate than network based location services.

The GPS in it is something I require for work. So......yeah