Metal Cases for the Droid

mscalero

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

Anyone seen any nice metal cases out there for our Droids? I have the Seidio Innocase surface right now, and it's okay, but I'm looking for something even stronger, and something that protects the top of the touch screen where the LED and Motorola logo are.

I saw this metal case, which looks good:
Armor Case - Droid Metal Case / Motorola Droid Metal Case / Droid Aluminum Case / Motorola Droid Aluminum Case

Problem is that it seems to prevent the Droid from sliding open, which doesn't fly for me.

I really like the iFrogz design cases for the iphone. You can check them out here:
Custom Colors and Wheels for Your iPod |ifrogz

These are nice since they are metal on one end and rubberized on the other. Too bad they don't (and probably wouldn't) make a case like this for the Droid.

Anyone seen anything good out there, I'm looking for a sturdy metal case that still allows for sliding.

Mike

Chillout

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I seem to have bad luck with cases anyways, LOL..every time I've tried to use one either straight from the VZ store or buying it online, the part that fits onto the screen seems to catch on my keyboard so I have just resigned myself to the fact that I'll need to use my leather case and screen protector and just call it a day.

Those metal cases do look pretty sick though!

CPatt44

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I just received the aluminum case for my Droid and it fits great. Yeah you have to open it to get to the physical keyboard but I really don't use it so no issue for me.

Anyway, it is protected on the inside by a neoprene liner and fits snug. All access points are good to go. Hardly adds any weight too.

The one question I have is if anyone has already used these cases, does the aluminum hinder call quality and reception for you. I seem to be having some issues with signal strength with the case on. I have done a PRL update and have only seen a slight increase in reception.

Please comment if you have experienced any problems like this.
Thanks in advance.

PRNmeds

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Pass... nothing personal.. but I think the sena ultraslim with a screen protector is very attractive, metal gives it a cold look, I want my droid to be warm and inviting!

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I skip the cases and just take make up some bogus reason for my phone not working and get a warranty replacement if it gets to scratched or dented. VZW's loose with the warranty replacements.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I skip the cases and just take make up some bogus reason for my phone not working and get a warranty replacement if it gets to scratched or dented. VZW's loose with the warranty replacements.

of course they're loose with replacements. The buzz on the forums lately is that the replacements are worse than the crap turned in.

kpageisgreat

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
of course they're loose with replacements. The buzz on the forums lately is that the replacements are worse than the crap turned in.

Hey, I just got a replacement and so far its better than my first one.(touchscreen died on that one). Keyboard not sticky either.

That metal case is nice. The lack of it slidding open is a deal breaker for me though.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I just got a replacement and so far its better than my first one.(touchscreen died on that one). Keyboard not sticky either.

That metal case is nice. The lack of it slidding open is a deal breaker for me though.

sweet, glad it worked out. I guess a lot of people have had some real junk trying to be presented as "like new" -- one guy even had one with hair all over it *yuck*

that1bb

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I am curious about that metal case also. When the case is closed, do the borders of the screen hinder typing on the on-screen keyboard?

I had a case like this for my Treo and loved it. It did not affect the reception on that phone. I don't think it will for the Droid either.

CPatt44

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
The metal case does not hinder typing on the virtual keyboards at all. The only hinderince I have encountered is with the notification bar on top. Getting your finger just right to swipe down is difficult with large fingers.

gamehunter

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I too have the metal case. Yes, it is almost impossible to pull down the notificatin screen. The case itself does note interfere with typing on the virtual screen.
It fits very snug and seems quite safe. It is enclosed so yeah, no physical keyboard.
The dealbreaker for me, was that I could not get decent satellite reception for the gps. It would find 2 or 3 satellites, but would stay greyed out. Then when I took it out, tada, full satellites. I have great call reception so I couldn't tell if it had a significant impact.
That being said, I still like it. I may use it when I am doing activities when I am more likely to drop it or hit it, but it isn't my primary case.
That's my 2 cents :)
GH

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
They look very cool but I dunno.. My droid gets pretty hot at times and right now I have a plastic clear case. I would think the Metal one might burn me or my luck the my phone might blow up :/ very cool concept though!

Jose from Clifton

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
The Case from Verizon Sucks

I had purchased one of those Snap On Covers when I purchased the phone in November and the grips on the case did not do its job. The phone can easily fall off the cover which it did the other day in my Kitchen with hard ceramic floors and all I heard was *CRACK*.... I paused for a moment and when I picked up the phone there was a hairline crack about an inch long! I am so upset, does anyone think Verizon would replace this since after all it was the fault of the stupid Verizon Case which clearly did no do its job?

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I had purchased one of those Snap On Covers when I purchased the phone in November and the grips on the case did not do its job. The phone can easily fall off the cover which it did the other day in my Kitchen with hard ceramic floors and all I heard was *CRACK*.... I paused for a moment and when I picked up the phone there was a hairline crack about an inch long! I am so upset, does anyone think Verizon would replace this since after all it was the fault of the stupid Verizon Case which clearly did no do its job?

Don't bet on it. I just had my Droid replaced. It shut off and would not turn back on no matter what I did. Verizon WOULD have replaced it for free, except there was a crack in the screen. That crack allowed them to call it an insurance matter and I had to shell out $89 for the replacement. ANY physical damage at all and they will direct you to your insurance.

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site

Yup, its VZW's fault you dropped it. Absolutely. I heard if you lie though, they'll give you a new one. :rolleyes: