Gingerbreak Root

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
So now that a custom recovery has been created for the Triumph, I'm eager to root my phone. However, I'm a bit hesitant to root via the Gingerbreak apk from XDA, mainly because I've never used it. Have any of you used it, and it is a good solution for root? Will it be suitable for installing custom Roms when they become available? Thanks for all of your help!

Sent from my Moto Triumph

bryanjbenn

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
So now that a custom recovery has been created for the Triumph, I'm eager to root my phone. However, I'm a bit hesitant to root via the Gingerbreak apk from XDA, mainly because I've never used it. Have any of you used it, and it is a good solution for root? Will it be suitable for installing custom Roms when they become available? Thanks for all of your help!

Gingerbreak works. It's very simple to use and many of us here including myself have used it already to root the MT. As for suitability to install ROMS.......rooting won't be as important for installing ROMS as getting a stable bootloader (clockwork mod) for our phones.....and this is being worked on as we speak. They have a version that was working, but not all navigation functions were working yet.

482123#AC

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted my brand new Triumph. It's dead simple. It took 2 min tops, and that's including googling Gingerbreak to find where to download from.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I've owned a few android phones, and I've never done a simpler root than gingerbreak. Just install an apk, and run it, and that's it. And its a permanent root, too. Once you root, you can get rid of some of Moto's bloatware as well.

db_geek

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys normally take a backup of your Triumph before rooting? If so, what's the best backup app?

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

ceejay83

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys normally take a backup of your Triumph before rooting? If so, what's the best backup app?

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

you don't really need to backup before rooting, it's a very simple process by just running an apk, and you can unroot in the program also.but once you're rooted, titanium backup is good

doctadunk

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
gingerbreak apk yea i rooted took about 30 seconds, root checker apk confirms its rooted.

very easy, you can also unroot easy as well.

MarkMcCoskey

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my Triumph several days ago using Gingerbreak 1.2. Effortless. Last night I swapped to Sprints 01115 PRL.Now I'm waiting patiently for isaacj87 to finish his CM7 ROM. Its Alpha at this point.

keh4808

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello. I am NEW to Android. I just purchased the Triump a few weeks ago, although the screen keeps flashing white/black stripes when I push the power button to turn the screen on.. so I plan on swapping phones once I get a chance! But, that isn't my reason for posting...

I am completely dumb when it comes to rooting, roms, etc... but I am curious.. I have apps I would like to get off the phone as I don't use them and I have been searching the net reading a ton of posts about gingerbreak, etc. from this page as well as XDA developers but I dont understand a thing!

Can someome please explain what rooting is? How its done? Is it necessary to back-up my phone BEFORE rooting and how that is done? What are custom ROMS? Are those something else that need to be installed?

I would appreciate any help :D

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello. I am NEW to Android. I just purchased the Triump a few weeks ago, although the screen keeps flashing white/black stripes when I push the power button to turn the screen on.. so I plan on swapping phones once I get a chance! But, that isn't my reason for posting...

I am completely dumb when it comes to rooting, roms, etc... but I am curious.. I have apps I would like to get off the phone as I don't use them and I have been searching the net reading a ton of posts about gingerbreak, etc. from this page as well as XDA developers but I dont understand a thing!

Can someome please explain what rooting is? How its done? Is it necessary to back-up my phone BEFORE rooting and how that is done? What are custom ROMS? Are those something else that need to be installed?

I would appreciate any help :D

Rooting on the MT is very easy, and allows uninstalling crapware that VM includes. Using Gingerbreak is easist, but the MT isn't even locked like most phones, so a simple 'ln -s sudo su' cmd can give root access. But once you have root, it's easier to mess things up. Which is where a custom recovery comes in, if you install it (easy too, just plug into PC, reboot into download mode, then rename old recovery on phone for backup and place new recovery over it.) Once that's done you can use custom recovery to make complete backups of the ROM, so if you accidentally mess up there's a backup ROM to restore too.

Also in order to get a Cyanogenmod7 Gingerbread 2.3.7 ROM loaded, it's flashed through custom recovery. And believe me you want to use it, because it provides way better experience on the MT than stock ROM.

Here are some guides for new MT users:

Motorola Triumph Root Guide (11/27/2011) - Android Forums

gringoespana

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Hiya all. I also am having problems with gingerbreak working. I have a motorola fire. I do not even have a data plan yet. I have yet to upgrade my plan but will soon.

The prog installs just fine but when I run it it just says

"Rooting......Running exploit... This may take a few minutes! Device will reboot when done!"

I had a whole day to kill so I just let it sit. Sadly I came back 3 hours later and it is still showing the same thing on the screen. I have tried it about 5 times since and the same thing still happens.

I also tried the z4 app and it just said "error, please try again" over and over after the second I hit the root option. Temp or Perm it does not matter.

I am using gingerbreak v 1.2 and of course my gingerbread version is compatable with the break.

Any suggestions of wtf I need to root this phone? another easy prog to run perhaps?

Last edited:

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi keh4808... Welcome if you are new to Android phones. I have a great place you can look to start learning about rooting, ROMS, and a whole lot more. It's right "next door" on Optimus V Rooting,ROMS & Hacks. Check out some of the postings at the top by Leslie Ann. Her list of apks (pre-installed apps that your phone can and can NOT live without) is a great help to somebody just starting out in the Droid world. Read thru what is there then come back to do research on the Triumph to see what works and doesn't for your phone. YouTube now has a vast video library on DIY stuff too. Check it all out BEFORE you start removing anything. And, as always, backup your phone. you can find out all the How To's right here. To answer your question about rooting...it's actually gaining access to system apps and files that are normally locked away by the manufacturer. This has to be done before any "customization" work can begin on the operating system. (such as in-installing apps that were pre-installed by the manufacturer/ or network supplier as xtras but are not used by you.) Remember...what works for the Optimus V will NOT work for the Triumph. But that forum is a great place to start learning about Hacks & ROMS. It's the most popular & well supported forum out there. Good luck & Enjoy being a Droid!

420kid

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Stop useing GINGERBREAK PPL!!!not necassary, plus it can put a glitchy line tgru ur screen! Install android emulator enter two line very simple command!!!sudo enter blablabla go aee xda developers guide! Soooo ez ppl! I bricked one already!!! ;/ not worth it.see.mt comes 1/2 rooted 'STOCK'!! out of the box!!! No phone out there does this!!! Alllll thanx to bandon14 u r the man!!!!