Absolutely, do not buy Xoom!

tlincoln

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I am an absolute Android fan, loved the OG Droid, the DInc and DInc II, but I bought the Xoom for my Dad for Fathers Day. Nothing but reboots and freezes. I went through 2 returns (Best Buy) and they all did the same. At first, I thought is was my Dad or Nieces playing with it but I had it for a week trying to get it to work right. Nothing but freezes and reboots, eventually it just stopped completely and that was on the third one with no one touching it but me. Now it won't even turn on. What a JOKE!! I love this platform but the Xoom is putting a bad taste to it. I will try out the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for him next but if that doesn't work "As Advertised" then I hate to admit it, but he will be getting an iPad 2. He's in his sixties and just wants something the he can browse and email from. Anybody else have these problems? Reboots and freezes on the honey comb screen?

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Did you buy open boxed xooms? Just curious...I had two of them and no issues. Landed on a Galaxy Tab 10.1...better for me but your mileage may vary

tlincoln

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Did you buy open boxed xooms? Just curious...I had two of them and no issues. Landed on a Galaxy Tab 10.1...better for me but your mileage may vary
First & second were Boxed New, third was refurbed (thought I'd give it a shot), same story. Why would Moto or Best Buy allow this type of product to be sold? It's gotta be costing them both a Boat Load on returns!!

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Makes me wonder what apps you are running. Had my Xoom since day one and I don't have that issue. Of course that would not explain why it won't turn on.

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
So many tablets? Possible user error? No problems here so far. Anybody having as serious of problems as this guy is?

tlincoln

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Makes me wonder what apps you are running. Had my Xoom since day one and I don't have that issue. Of course that would not explain why it won't turn on.
No Apps, what so ever. The only thing I did on the first was connect to wifi and set up my Dad's gmail and made sure it was working properly. It rebooted after i set up his device and didn't think anything of it. he called me two days later and explained what was happening (to myself I laughed and thought user error). I couldn't get over to see him for a few days and my nieces and nephews had played with it ages 12 & 13. nothing downloaded but they said the same thing. It rebooted or froze every minute or two. Took it back, got another NIB, roughly the same issues which shocked me, I fired it up, did the update myself and BAMN running good for about 5-6min, they reboot, honeycomb freeze, reboot. i couldn't even get it to reset. Tried one more refurbed and will be taking it back tomorrow. I'm sad because it has everything I want for my Dad with the ports and MicroSD but come on the Instability of this thing is ridiculous!!!

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Day one 3G here absolutely no issues. Really strange to get 2 xooms in a row with same issue. Sorry to hear you had this experience. Honeycomb is really awesome when its running properly...don't give up on android.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
No issues here either, bought the wifi on launch day.

And I hate to say it, but if your dad is 60 and not that tech savvy, you may want to get him the iPad. They are much easier for tech novices.

Sent from my DROIDX

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Never a issue day one 3g. Unlocked rooted and kernels changed and still nothing. Get the ipad I'm sure it would be better for him anyway.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any such problems with my wifi Xoom. Either you have the worst luck, or there is something else going on here.

fevetbeing

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Xoom is truly awesome. Esp. the Honeycomb is available to upgrade timely, and it's so nice to experience new features that just launch by Google.

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
The browser crashes quite a bit for me and there is serious typing lag and copy/paste issues within the browser, but other than that I'm happy with the device.

I'm hoping some/all of browser issues get resolved in the next update. FYI- I have the Verizon 3/4G version.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I've never had those issues. Had my 3G Xoom since launch day. I do get the occasional force close, but those are mostly on apps not optimized for the Xoom. I can live with that.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Day 1 3G here. I have not had a unexpected power down, unable to power up or any of the issues I read here. I think an iPad it probably better for him anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87