First Verizon Bill: $64?

hypocaffeinemia#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
So I just received an email notification of my bill from Verizon, and it's for $63.91. I can't yet access my account to see where this magic number comes from as I've yet to receive my snail-mailed password I requested them to send, but all the same, I'm a bit irked by the fact the $20/monthly data plan I purchased's first bill is over triple that.

This happen to anyone else?

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
unfortunately you have to add a bit more to it. So $20 for first month + 2 days prorated data used (at least for me the month starts on Feb 26) + $35 activation fee + taxes.

hypocaffeinemia#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I totally forgot about the activation fee. They never even mentioned it during the purchase. At least that adds up, though, what with tax and all. Thanks!

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
That's one issue I have with the Xoom. They charge a stupid activation fee every time you activate data. The way people use tablets, using data one month and not the next, Verizon needs to move beyond treating it as a phone.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
The activation fee does seem to be arbitrary and completely unnecessary. Consider:

-- Costco charges the $35 activation fee but then rebates it

-- Best Buy says they will charge the $35 activation fee, but may choose to waive it.

In my case, I purchased my Xoom at Best Buy without a data plan, and a week later decided I wanted the $20/month 1GB plan. I went back to Best Buy and asked if I would earn Reward Points on the activation fee or if it was a Verizon charge would I not be eligible, and the guy said he wasn't even going to charge me the fee. I didn't question why, as he just saved me $35.

Yes, he had to access my existing Verizon Wireless account and obtain a new phone number to assign to the Xoom, but if Best Buy can access the Verizon network and do it for no cost, why can't Verizon itself???

haggard891

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
That's one issue I have with the Xoom. They charge a stupid activation fee every time you activate data. The way people use tablets, using data one month and not the next, Verizon needs to move beyond treating it as a phone.

thats actually not true.. the activation fee is only a one time charge. the verizon guy explained to me very clearly that once you pay the fee once, you dont have to pay it again whenever you decide to start, stop and restart your monthly data plan again.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
thats actually not true.. the activation fee is only a one time charge. the verizon guy explained to me very clearly that once you pay the fee once, you dont have to pay it again whenever you decide to start, stop and restart your monthly data plan again.

Then there seems to be some confusion among Verizon store employees because they told me that if I start and stop and then restart a data plan that I'll be charged $35 for each re-activation. I spoke with a Motorola rep at Best Buy and he said the same thing.

It doesn't make any sense though, so perhaps they have eliminated this stupid fee and word hasn't made it to every store.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Then there seems to be some confusion among Verizon store employees because they told me that if I start and stop and then restart a data plan that I'll be charged $35 for each re-activation. I spoke with a Motorola rep at Best Buy and he said the same thing.

It doesn't make any sense though, so perhaps they have eliminated this stupid fee and word hasn't made it to every store.
I just posted something similar int he "Do you have a data plan" thread. There's a game of "CSR Roulette" out there, with lots of agents giving lots of different information. I searched the Verizon Wireless site but couldn't find their policy on this. I sure hope it's updated on their site by the time LTE is active!

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I just posted something similar int he "Do you have a data plan" thread. There's a game of "CSR Roulette" out there, with lots of agents giving lots of different information. I searched the Verizon Wireless site but couldn't find their policy on this. I sure hope it's updated on their site by the time LTE is active!

If you cancel the data plan then re-activate it, there will be another activation fee charged. If you suspend the data plan then restart it, there is no re-activation fee charged. There is an option on the VZW site for suspending service.

Reactions: Drew2u

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
If you cancel the data plan then re-activate it, there will be another activation fee charged. If you suspend the data plan then restart it, there is no re-activation fee charged. There is an option on the VZW site for suspending service.
Cool ... I'll look for the suspend link on Verizon's site. Before you're post I'd never heard "suspend" was even an option!

habanero

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
MyVerizon Texted Password

So I just received an email notification of my bill from Verizon, and it's for $63.91. I can't yet access my account to see where this magic number comes from as I've yet to receive my snail-mailed password I requested them to send, but all the same, I'm a bit irked by the fact the $20/monthly data plan I purchased's first bill is over triple that.

Yes, I posted in another thread. I could not get logged onto the MyVerizon site because the the text issue. I got tired of calling Verizon and going through the labyrinth to get my data usage. I had it for five days, couldn't wait to see if another mailed password would work. I took it back to Costco before the 14 day limit passed.

aliziaee

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Once you get the bill, take it to the nearest Verizon store. They will waive the 35$ fee.

Also, if you purchase accessories, you may get a pretty sweet deal (i did).

angermeans

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

35 activation fee 1 month in advance at the 20 rate and a prorated bill for this month whatever that may be plus tax. Sounds bout right if ya ask me.

angermeans

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Cool ... I'll look for the suspend link on Verizon's site. Before you're post I'd never heard "suspend" was even an option!

Be careful as I know if you suspend your phone with verizon then their is a 15 dollar reco fee but I am not 100 percent sure about how they handle the Xoom,.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11