Rant: Absolutely unacceptable that the 3.1 update doesn't fix lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Lets see you claim to have a Evo and a Xoom but you can't do this simple thing?

images

You are out of line and you are on ignore mode. I don't have to prove squat to you. Mods/Admins may ask, but certainly not you.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
no clue who you're talking about...but mods/admins can do any IP check they want on me. I have been a longer user than you on here. You are the troll as it seems.

Liberati0n

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
no clue who you're talking about...but mods/admins can do any IP check they want on me. I have been a longer user than you on here. You are the troll as it seems.

Yeah I'm absolutely trolling, I'm going around saying Android is bad and puffing up the iPad 2... oh wait thats you.

Oh yeah in case you need help its, View Profile > Add to user list > Add to ignore list.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm absolutely trolling, I'm going around saying Android is bad and puffing up the iPad 2... oh wait thats you.

Oh yeah in case you need help its, View Profile > Add to user list > Add to ignore list.

don't you feel like a turd? :-$

A troll by definition is someone who posts flagrant stuff in order to get an emotional rise out of people....go re-learn the term and then accuse someone :p

Also try doing a post history check next time...you'll see plenty of post asking for a good case, etc...why else would I be asking for a case if I didn't have the item to stick it in? You would also see posts talking bout my Evo over a year ago.....Logic 101....duh!

Are you going to accuse me of photo-shopping this picture next?

Last edited:

Liberati0n

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
don't you feel like a turd? :-$

A troll by definition is someone who posts flagrant stuff in order to get an emotional rise out of people....go re-learn the term and then accuse someone :p

Also try doing a post history check next time...you'll see plenty of post asking for a good case, etc...why else would I be asking for a case if I didn't have the item to stick it in? You would also see posts talking bout my Evo over a year ago.....Logic 101....duh!

Are you going to accuse me of photo-shopping this picture next?

Nope just trying to figure out what the silver strip is... and why the top edges aren't rounded.

Looks legit... but than again still don't understand why you didn't take a picture of the Xoom on your profile like I asked...

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Nope just trying to figure out what the silver strip is... and why the top edges aren't rounded.

Looks legit... but than again still don't understand why you didn't take a picture of the Xoom on your profile like I asked...

I honestly do not understand what that even means? picture of the xoom on my profile? It's late...if you can explain what you mean maybe I can help

currentweb

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There is little to no lag with the xoom. The fact that you say yours is laggy means one of three things:
1. You don't use it correctly
2. Your xoom has something wrong, be it a bad app or a true software issue
3. You're lying.
The only time I have seen my xoom (wifi only, on 3.1) lag is in portrait on the homescreen. Plus, that is a known complaint, and google is most likely working on it.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Clearly this device isn't for everyone. I love mine because it does what I need it to do for me: surf web, watch videos and act as a notepad on occasion. The battery life is amazing for me but its a little heavy. Is it the best available device for my needs? Maybe not but its good enough for me to keep coming back.

petemichigan

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I purchased my Xoom less than a week after it arrived. Although there was some noticeable lag, I didn't perceive it as off putting. Each subsequent update seems to make it a bit faster and with 3.1, my Xoom seems almost spritely. I have two complaints about the Xoom. The first is that it is just too heavy to be a serious reader. So much so, I gave thought to taking it back. The second is that there are lots of great ipod/ipad apps that are not available for android and even less for android honeycomb. That will likely work itself out over time. I think I am going to stick it out with Android as I am inclined to think that Google?s vision of the computing future will prevail. Open source, in the long run, will almost certainly win. The bigger pool of developers means more competition with better and broader product offerings. It will be interesting to see if a post Jobs Apple will adjust.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
There is little to no lag with the xoom. The fact that you say yours is laggy means one of three things:
1. You don't use it correctly
2. Your xoom has something wrong, be it a bad app or a true software issue
3. You're lying.
The only time I have seen my xoom (wifi only, on 3.1) lag is in portrait on the homescreen. Plus, that is a known complaint, and google is most likely working on it.

1. Am I supposed to whisper sweet things in my xoom's ear before I turn it on? Rub it's belly clockwise? ;)

2. I have accepted this fact in other posts....that I may have a defective xoom....but others seem to be experiencing my issue as well...so it leads me away from that thought.

3. yea..others in here and myself are lying....yes...that must be the reason :confused:

I am still not sure why this post is still open as it has nothing constructive in it.

My hopes is that Google will stumble upon this thread and hopefully fix the issues. I believe talking about issues that still need improvement is pretty constructive....

I purchased my Xoom less than a week after it arrived. Although there was some noticeable lag, I didn't perceive it as off putting. Each subsequent update seems to make it a bit faster and with 3.1, my Xoom seems almost spritely. I have two complaints about the Xoom. The first is that it is just too heavy to be a serious reader. So much so, I gave thought to taking it back. The second is that there are lots of great ipod/ipad apps that are not available for android and even less for android honeycomb. That will likely work itself out over time. I think I am going to stick it out with Android as I am inclined to think that Google?s vision of the computing future will prevail. Open source, in the long run, will almost certainly win. The bigger pool of developers means more competition with better and broader product offerings. It will be interesting to see if a post Jobs Apple will adjust.

the weight doesn't bother me as much. This xoom is STURDY!! There is no flexing of panels when torquing the screen unlinke the new samsung tab, which is really cheap feeling and torques with the slightest twist of your hand. I hope the consumer model will be more sturdier, but the Google i/o model is pretty cheap feeling after you have toyed around with a xoom

mikedj72

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
If having a device helps, I've attached a photo from my desk.(Hope I did that correct, and I can put my hand in the next picture if you think this is not my photo) You'll see a Sprint Evo, Mileston X, Milestone, Samsung Galaxy on ATT, Windows 7 on ATT and Blackberry. Picture taken with Iphone 4. You'll also see a Xoom and iPad 2.

I have my own business and I'm a gadget freak. I'm the first in line for any and all devices. The original iPad was attached to my hip. Many often say tablets are attached to my hip and my heart would not pump blood without one. I carry them into meetings with CEO's no matter the size company, often with a PICO projector hanging out, and I'm always getting the wow factor that I want.

Laying all that groundwork, I've found the Xoom to have some of these "you pick the word" glitches/hangs that eyecon mentioned. I only run apps that are on the sticky here at this board. This thread helped in the fact I did get some relief when I deleted many of my widgets. Thanks to the mods for allowing the issues to be discussed.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
If having a device helps, I've attached a photo from my desk.(Hope I did that correct, and I can put my hand in the next picture if you think this is not my photo) You'll see a Sprint Evo, Mileston X, Milestone, Samsung Galaxy on ATT, Windows 7 on ATT and Blackberry. Picture taken with Iphone 4. You'll also see a Xoom and iPad 2.

I have my own business and I'm a gadget freak. I'm the first in line for any and all devices. The original iPad was attached to my hip. Many often say tablets are attached to my hip and my heart would not pump blood without one. I carry them into meetings with CEO's no matter the size company, often with a PICO projector hanging out, and I'm always getting the wow factor that I want.

Laying all that groundwork, I've found the Xoom to have some of these "you pick the word" glitches/hangs that eyecon mentioned. I only run apps that are on the sticky here at this board. This thread helped in the fact I did get some relief when I deleted many of my widgets. Thanks to the mods for allowing the issues to be discussed.

You're just like me...im also a gadget freak and get the latest product out on the market....I can't wait for the Evo 3d!

NeuTypeCat

May 18, 2011
Visit site
is my usage similar to OP's ?

i have a wifi xoom, that i use for almost everything including comics, books, pdfs, music, video, web browsing, emailing and adding things to my calendar.
when I'm at work, it works well in landscape and portrait mode. flicking through PDF's and using email, tweeting and google docs. I do not notice any transition lag/un-smoothness.

when im at home, i like to use the tablet laying down on my sofa and i do notice that it throws the gyroscope a curveball. I use it in mix portrait and landscape mode. it's a godsend that DEV's built in auto-rotation options into certain apps.

tip1) i don't notice the laggy transitions, since i don't swipe the screens. Instead I tap the sides of the screen and it shifts between home-screens really fast.

tip2) i've noticed that each PDF app renders differently. repligo is pretty nice because it indexes it before hand. I use acrobat reader that I got from my n1, and it works simply enough.

tip3) I've replaced the stock keyboard with a thumb keyboard and have not any input issues.

I have other irks about honeycomb and android in general, but no device is perfect.
So far, this iteration of tablet is pretty close though.

Russcausier

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Eyecon you are right my xoom seems even more laggy with the new 3.1 which is totally un acceptable my desire HD is faster than this!!!keyboards lagging as I post this,love my xoom but this needs serious update and fast,thought it would be smooth like I pad, my phone is better and faster,home screens lag and no livewallpaper on and 3 Widgets in total,more like them who says its never lagged are lying

mikedj72

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the keyboard delay issue.

There are several things that 3.1 did improve on my unit so far. I've yet to need a reboot for anything bogging me down, email lock or an app seeming to lock. That happened every other day as a 2 hour per day user.

I've also not seen an force close popup. I would see that about every 2nd day trying Pulse and CNN.

deejayd

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the keyboard delay issue.

There are several things that 3.1 did improve on my unit so far. I've yet to need a reboot for anything bogging me down, email lock or an app seeming to lock. That happened every other day as a 2 hour per day user.

I've also not seen an force close popup. I would see that about every 2nd day trying Pulse and CNN.

Besides the keyboard lag (which is absolutely brutal on some websites) I've seen some very odd browser problems. Some force closes and four or five instances where I open it and the screen just flickers loads until I press home. Has to be solved by manually force closing it.

Still seeing occasional force closes in other apps but nothing frequent enough to be troublesome.

mikedj72

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
^Have you seen issues with multiple tabs? The only browser crash I've seen is when multiple tabs are open. I would then go back and try, it would repeat. I've not tested since 3.1, but then I don't remember all the exact tabs/sites.

The force close thing popup I mentioned. There is an option there to report the issue. I really wish the device would record everything you do for 30 seconds and allow that to be sent. When I've had those browser hiccups, I'd love to send that to Google and say, "Watch what I did the last 30 seconds and where I was at," now tell me what I did wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.