A couple of questions regarding r00t for MT4G

MyTouch 420G

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm writing this to ask a few questions regarding a root job I'm trying to learn. I have experience in computer science, but no Android experience.

My questions are:

1) When installing the perm root files to the sdk tool kit, is that pc or sd card? (I'm assuming SD, but I want to double check)

2) How do you open terminal emulator on your handset? I understand keeping instructions slightly technical to weed out the people who are most likely to brick their phones, but a bit more detail on the terms used in the standard MT4G perm root instructions would be nice, as they are slighly lacking for those who aren't developers.

I hope I found the right place for this question, but if I didn't, I'll gladly move my post.

MyTouch 420G

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, while I watched the video three times, it seemed to create more questions for me than answers.

Let me fire em off and see if you have a reference you can point me to.

When he finishes the root, he never says if you need to continue to use the three apps he installed to temp root. Are you able at that point to delete them off of your sd card, or do you need to continue to use them to stay rooted?

Sorry for the obvious newb questions, but I'm driven to uninstall Rock Band, Amazon MP3, and the other crap they installed.

Also, anyone have any recommendations on the perfect OC/Volt combo to extend battery life while increasing performance? I'm not looking to squeeze every drop of performance from my gear, I just want to make it as efficient as possible.

Thanks again for your help Arcadia.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
That video is a guide to get a permanent root meaning once you get it, it's rooted forever (unless you manually unroot it of course). You can uninstall visionary but the other programs you may need later in the future so why not keep them.

Reactions: MyTouch 420G

MyTouch 420G

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
So once you've seen your s=off and you reboot, can you restore the quick boot option, or does that need to stay off?

That, and I thought that rooting provided access to delete the bloatware from the handset. How to I uninstall the crap that I don't want or do I need clean roms for that? That was the only reason I rooted.

Last edited:

MyTouch 420G

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Funny thing, even though it continues to say S=Off whenever I check the bootscreen, when I reboot to the homepage and try to use Set Cpu, it says it doesn't have root access.

I continue to have to use visionary to gain superuser permissions. Somehow I feel that even though it says S=Off, I'm not exactly rooted.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'l admit, I'm not familiar with the root process with the MT4G. BUT.. as long as S is off and you're definitely permirooted you shouldn't have to keep going to visionary to gain superuser permission... Have you tried using the app Superuser? With Superuser once you give an app permission, that's it it'll always have permission.

MyTouch 420G

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I've tried that. Even though it says "s=off", and I followed the instructions to a T, I still have to use visionary's temproot in order for superuser to allow the other programs SU access.

Sounds fishy, but I don't this that just because it says S=Off, It is perm rooted.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... Have you looked at the XDA thread on how to permiroot? You might find an answer there. I wish I could help more but my gf still wont let me root her phone lol. So my experience with the rooting process for the already complicating MT4G is limited :\

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
You didn't do the process right. Make sure you follow the video correctly. After you have completed all of the steps you should have s-off with full root and can uninstall visionary.

MyTouch 420G

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to show you some screen shots, but I have yet to learn how to do that. My wife's G2 will be here in a day or three, and when that happens, I'll post some vids of what it is doing. The video was followed correctly, and the phone still says s-off, but no SU access without visionary. It's weird.

cstrausser

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to show you some screen shots, but I have yet to learn how to do that. My wife's G2 will be here in a day or three, and when that happens, I'll post some vids of what it is doing. The video was followed correctly, and the phone still says s-off, but no SU access without visionary. It's weird.

Same thing happened to me. Download Visionary r14 if you do not have it already and do the "attempt permaroot". That worked for me - I am now permarooted with s-off. Hope this helps.

cstrausser

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So R14 alone can get you a full perm root now?

I think so. It's hard to say for sure because I tried your method (not from the video, but from the XDA post) and it didn't stick. I gave up and went to bed. The next day, I tried the permaroot in Visionary and it worked, complete with S-OFF. I am new to all of this, MT4G being my first Android phone, so it is hard to say what actually did it. I just went back to XDA and it looks like the post has been updated using Visionary to do the permaroot.

[GUIDE] How to s= off with "su" and how to flash rom---[Noob's] - xda-developers

katx5h

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Totally Agree

Your best option is to follow the instructions posted over at XDA. I have a link in my sig. That's the best way to r00t your phone and get s=off.

Yes this link worked like a charm after a few days of frustrated head banging I found it and follow it it and it worked!

I did alternative using linux and SDK, since my version of VISIONary was temperamental.