Is there no gallery app in Marshmallow?

kcoan3

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Im trying to figure out where to find the gallery app on the 6p. I know that google wants you to use the Photos app and for the most part that is fine. I was taking some screen shots lately and I couldn't find where they were saved. I have since went to the google photos app and chose the screenshots folder to back up and now they show up in my google photos app. But I don't want to make this an end solution.

Screenshot_20151106-105342.jpg

I know there is a gallery app on the phone. It can be seen by going under my profile and changing the picture associated with your profile. It asks if you would like to pick a photo from gallery.

Screenshot_20151106-105406.jpgScreenshot_20151106-105430.jpgScreenshot_20151106-105443.jpg

Does anyone know if there is a way to get a shortcut for this gallery? (Aside from downloading some extra app from the app store)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
re:

Well, as far as an app is concerned, Google Photos is your only option that's built-in. You don't need to back up photos to see them in Photos, you just need to go to the "Device Folders" option in the slide out menu.

Though, you kind of make a good point. There IS a gallery in there, but it's buried as a control in the doc picker (that "Open From" UI). That "Images" item is basically all the images that the media server has detected in your internal storage. You can get there via the Storage & USB option in Settings and select 'Images'. Granted, that isn't the most convienent method to get there. There are some apps in the play store that can make custom shortcuts (and some 3rd party launchers can make them as well). But those are all addon solutions.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
re:

I might be in the minority but I do not like the Google Photo App that is on the 6P. I installed QuickPic and it works perfect and also gives you the option to exclude pictures or folders from showing up in the app. My issue was that all of my album covers were showing up in the gallery creating a mess, I just excluded the music folder where the album covers were located from QuikPic and now all I have are my photos. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.alensw.PicFolder&hl=en&token=o7rT_92t

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
re:

Is there a way to have Google Photos organize your photos by source like the gallery app used to (eg. WhatsApp, Screen Shots, Camera, Download, etc.) instead of simply chronologically by date? That's the only thing I don't like about it. I use an app called Gallery For Kit Kat and it does what I want (albeit with ads...), but I have to keep Google Photos around too for the backup of course.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
re:

Is there a way to have Google Photos organize your photos by source like the gallery app used to (eg. WhatsApp, Screen Shots, Camera, Download, etc.) instead of simply chronologically by date? That's the only thing I don't like about it. I use an app called Gallery For Kit Kat and it does what I want (albeit with ads...), but I have to keep Google Photos around too for the backup of course.

The backed up versions, no... but if you look in 'Device Folders' that I mentioned above, it lists them by folder.

krabby

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
re:

Yep, quickpic all the way. Works better in pretty much every way and you can still let photos cloud your pictures. It's been my preferred gallery app for years.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
re:

Since this is Android from Google you get Google photos. If you want something else you get to download that from the play store or another store of your choice.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
re:

So have you found a good replacement?

I mainly use Google Photos.... but if I don't use that, I use Focus. Good app done by a very well known and respected developer.

I wouldn't install Quickpic now if you paid me. The company that bought it is as sketchy a developer as they come. They are the company responsible for things like those pop ups that warn you that your phone is infected by a virus and needs to be fixed NOW!!! No thanks.

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
re:

Im trying to figure out where to find the gallery app on the 6p. I know that google wants you to use the Photos app and for the most part that is fine. I was taking some screen shots lately and I couldn't find where they were saved. I have since went to the google photos app and chose the screenshots folder to back up and now they show up in my google photos app. But I don't want to make this an end solution.

View attachment 204788

I know there is a gallery app on the phone. It can be seen by going under my profile and changing the picture associated with your profile. It asks if you would like to pick a photo from gallery.

View attachment 204789View attachment 204790View attachment 204791

Does anyone know if there is a way to get a shortcut for this gallery? (Aside from downloading some extra app from the app store)

under Device folders in Photos is where all the photos are for your device.
That's where you can find the screencaps as well.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
re:

View attachment 204790

I think "Choose photo from Gallery" is just holdover language from a much earlier OS version. Now that you've pointed it out, expect to see "Choose photo from Photos" in an upcoming patch.

Or, maybe someone recognized that that phrasing looks silly and went instead with the implied "Choose photo from (Photos) Gallery." :)

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Re:

The "Photos" app is the gallery app.

Beat me to it.

When you first open the Photos app it gives you the option of backing up or not. I chose not to back up for now, and it acts just like a gallery app, letting you see the photos, albums and collections on the phone; plus, in the menu it has a "device folder" option that gives you direct access to your camera folder, pictures folder and screenshots folder.

Now if I could just find a full function "file manager" for internal storage on the device ....

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re:

I mainly use Google Photos.... but if I don't use that, I use Focus. Good app done by a very well known and respected developer.

I wouldn't install Quickpic now if you paid me. The company that bought it is as sketchy a developer as they come. They are the company responsible for things like those pop ups that warn you that your phone is infected by a virus and needs to be fixed NOW!!! No thanks.
Wow thanks...I will NEVER update my Quickpic. I have an older version that doesn't do that. No popups on my phone.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Wow thanks...I will NEVER update my Quickpic. I have an older version that doesn't do that. No popups on my phone.

Well, the newer versions don't pop that window.... Cheetah Mobile is just one of the companies that designed those kinds of pop ups on mobile web pages. That being said, a leopard (or in this case a cheetah) never changes his spots. Any company that pulls those kinds of dirty tricks is bound to do something weasel-y with that app.