Nexus 6P: My First Android Phone Ever

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I've had an iPhone since 2007. I've been one of the biggest Apple/iOS evangelists I know. Most of my friends that have iPhone's have them because I talked them into. I don't know anything about Android. I've never used it. I've never even touched an Android phone. I wouldn't know what to do with it.

But that all changed the other day when I received my new Nexus 6P. You see, I'm doing some work that requires me to have an Android phone. I figured, since I have to get one, I want to get the best one I can. I understand that Android lovers won't all agree that the Nexus 6P is the best and that's okay but I had to pick the best one for me and that meant a phone with pure Android, no bloatware, a good fingerprint scanner, was always fast, had a screen size comparable to an iPhone 6S Plus and had a decent camera. The only phone with those options was the Nexus 6P.

Here's my video showing off my very first experience with my new Nexus 6P. BTW, I will be using Google Fi with this phone.

This video is all about me setting up for the first time. It's kind of lame but some of you will enjoy it.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android... there's definitely going to be a learning curve for you coming in from iOS to Android which i think is harder than going from Android to iOS.

One of the big differences between iOS and Android is the difference between the app drawer and the home screens... on iOS all your applications get automatically dropped onto your home screens, there is no separate place for all of your apps... Whereas with Android there's a separate app drawer where all your apps are stored and then you drag the apps you frequently use or want onto the home screens, kind of like the desktop on a PC.

The thing I noticed in your video is the settings menu you found was just for Google Now... The overall phone settings icon is located in the app drawer or you can access it by swiping down from the top of the screen with two fingers, in this pull down menu you'll see a gear icon in the upper right corner, this icon is also the Settings icon.

A tip... if you swipe down from the top of the screen with one finger you you'll see notifications... Whereas if you swipe down from the top of the screen with two fingers you'll see features you can toggle on and off, screen brightness, and the Settings icon.

Last edited:

anon(8662820)

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I hope you enjoy your time on Android. It's a fun experience, and it's easier now than it's ever been to move over from ios. If you have any questions, there are lots of very knowledgeable and friendly people here too. Welcome!

Posted via the Android Central App

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you're all in on the Google Experience . . . . which means you'll be just fine . . . great even . . .

I've been with Android several years now, but this is my first Nexus experience. Wow, night and day. Can't believe I did the carrier thing so many years.

Enjoy . . .

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the wonderful world of Android! It's mostly intuitive, but it's quite different from iOS. If you have any questions or issues, we're here to help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress