How many people are going to upgrade

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the fence this year and am uncertain about going with a sealed battery and no SD card like a lot of people are..

I am certain that I have bought my last carrier branded phone though.

So for all of you here just how many of you are holding out to get the new Google phones? Are they going to be actually better to have than the 6p?

I've been going over all of the upcoming devices that are slated to be dropping this fall and now and I am real hesitant to purchase anything.

I'm not a fan of any one brand because they all have some serious faults and I would have to compromise on something... So if I have to compromise it will be with a phone that has plenty of development with it to offset what it doesn't have out of the box, if this makes sense to you all. I would rather just change the software than buying a new phone.

So ..is the 6p that good that it will last a year + to maybe the spring of 2018? I'm talking about the sealed battery and components..? Is it a worthwhile investment and do you all think development will continue on it that long?

I know that I can just get a new one when they come out in a month or two, but looking at the available renders I'm not really liking what I am seeing on the looks of them so far... I really want a Nexus phone not a glass backed Samsung wannabe irregardless of the rest of the world desires.

I've seen a ton of the 6p out in the wild and more and more of them in the hands of the different stores I have been in looking at the new phones.. and this tells me that they are better than what is being offered to the employees... Lol

How much do you think the price will drop on the 64/128 gig 6p's when the new phones come out? I'm thinking around Thanksgiving time?

Posted via the Android Central App

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have no interest in upgrading. I'll probably upgrade next year when the 2017 Nexus comes out, but until then my 6P is absolutely fine. I have no buyer's remorse nor device envy. The new Nexus will definitely be an upgrade, but I don't think it will be as big an upgrade as the 6P was over the Nexus 6. That was a huge upgrade. I can't imagine Google will be able to match that kind of upgrade again - though of course I could be 100% wrong. Google has a tendency to surprise me.

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not seeing anything yet that makes me fill that pit in my stomach need to upgrade. Aside from size, the 6P is the nexus phone that does everything right.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I have no interest in upgrading. I'll probably upgrade next year when the 2017 Nexus comes out, but until then my 6P is absolutely fine. I have no buyer's remorse nor device envy. The new Nexus will definitely be an upgrade, but I don't think it will be as big an upgrade as the 6P was over the Nexus 6. That was a huge upgrade. I can't imagine Google will be able to match that kind of upgrade again - though of course I could be 100% wrong. Google has a tendency to surprise me.

That's what I figured folks would be saying..

Any guessing on how much they are going to drop in price?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Def not upgrading. Smaller screen, one speaker, basic downgrade in most things except for SOC and RAM. Just does not look too be worth it.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll wait and see reviews to see if it's worth the upgrade. My 6P has no issues, so the new Nexus would need to be more than just a new design and upgraded processor to be worth the cost. I probably will upgrade my wife's Nexus 5x for the smaller of the two Nexus devices.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Already sold 6p in preparation. But note 7 is a serious threat hehehehe. I upgrade to a new phone every year no matter what. Just for the thrill of a new toy.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a Moto Z Force, but am going to seriously look at the new nexus when it comes out. Since we don't actually know what sort of features it'll have, or what it will look like, I'm keeping an open mind and eagerly waiting for the announcement. If I bought one it probably wouldn't be until like February or March or whenever they throw a discount on it.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Already sold 6p in preparation. But note 7 is a serious threat hehehehe. I upgrade to a new phone every year no matter what. Just for the thrill of a new toy.
That's how I felt about the Motorola Z and Note 7. Then I thought, it's Samsung, so it's locked down and waiting for carrier to release updates. With VZW, they are usually 2-3 months behind if your lucky.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Love the phone but been using an S7 as my daily just because I like the size better. The 6P is just too big.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Well the size of it doesn't bother me, heck I had the Lumina 1520 and it had a 6" screen and was a nice phone to handle and watch.... Lol

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
If you are looking to switch to a Nexus I'd wait for the new ones because they will get one more OS version than the current phones. As a 6P owner I have no plans to upgrade until the 2017 phones come out. The 2016 have two downgrades from the 6P, the 6P has stereo front facing speakers, the Marlin has a single downfacing speaker, I expect that will be much worse. The screen on the Marlin is also smaller than the 6P. The CPU in the 6P is slower than the Marlin but it's fast enough. The only reason that would make me change my mind is if the performance on Verizon is significantly better. Verizon will be selling the new phones, they don't sell the current phones, so there is reason to believe that they will do a better job of provisioning the Marlin on their network. There are Verizon bands that don't work on the 6P even though they are supported by the hardware because Verizon failed to provision their network to handle the 6P on those bands, if they are selling the new phones they might do a better job.

Last edited:

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
If you are looking to switch to a Nexus I'd wait for the new ones because they will get one more OS version than the current version. As a 6P owner I have no plans to upgrade until the 2017 phones come out. The 2016 have two downgrades from the 6P, the 6P has stereo front facing speakers, the Marlin has a single downfacing speaker, I expect that will be much worse. The screen on the Marlin is also smaller than the 6P. The CPU in the 6P is slower than the Marlin but it's fast enough. The only reason that would make me change my mind is if the performance on Verizon is significantly better. Verizon will be selling the new phones, they don't sell the current phones, so there is reason to believe that they will do a better job of provisioning the Marlin on their network. There are Verizon bands that don't work on the 6P even though they are supported by the hardware because Verizon failed to provision their network to handle the 6P on those bands, if they are selling the new phones they might do a better job.

The 6p might see an upgrade after 2017 too though.

flipbeats

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if that minor update had anything to do with it. But I feel like my DAC works a lot better now then it used to. Phone works perfectly, won't be upgrading anytime soon. I do know though that HTC DAC have been really really good.

terminator y2k

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I won't be upgrading. My previous phone was an LG Optimus G Pro, an awesome underrated phone. Had that phone for close to 3 years and it stil works (have it as a backup), it was just running slower. I just got this 6P in March and I see myself keeping it at least 2 years. Great screen, front stereo speakers, good battery, bloatware free and 64 GB of storage (which works for me) with all the great features this phone has, I honestly see myself keeping this phone for 2 years or so. Unless ... There's an upgraded 6P - bigger screen, processor, battery ??? Then I *may* upgrade, otherwise I'm happy with my device. My $0.02.

*6P 64 gb Graphite (AT&T)*
*iPad Air 2 64 gb Space Gray (AT&T)*

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm upgrading, but not to the new Nexuses. I'll be getting a Note 7. I'll also be keeping my 6P. I sold my Note 5.