Droid or Touch Pro 2?

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I recently just broke my BB storm. (slipped on ice and cracked the screen). I'm rather bored with blackberries and want to try something new. Do you guys have any recommendations for recent smartphones from verizon? i am currently looking at the Droid and HTC TP2. What are your opinions on both of them and which is better?

Im looking for:
a solid ui

facebook, i/m, and email address accounts. (facebook chat would be great also)

No more battery pulls when the memory gets low. Wtf is the point of a phone when its slower than you can use it.

decent battery life since most of my time is on the browser.

I understand that both phones don't have flash but what are the chances of a future update? And how hard is it to hack it to use tethering? Btw, i would be syncing the phone to a mac computer. Is itunes integration decent and overall acceptable for a mac? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Droid is getting Flash in a future update. Touch Pro 2 is Windows Mobile, and on the 528mhz Qualcomm chip, the Droid is a more powerful phone, by far. I'd never go Windows Mobile unless Windows Phone 7 Series is epic, but it won't run on a Touch Pro 2 anyways, hardware is too weak.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I would have to say get the Droid. but I'm biased the Droid is a better phone minus the keyboard and I don't think the touch pro 2 can be updated to phone 7 processor isn't good enough

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
As a former Touch Pro 2 owner, I will say that they are both great phones for their own reasons. The Touch Pro 2 has an awesome keyboard, is a global phone, has a great phone/speakerphone combo and interface, and benefits from Touch Flo covering up most of WM. It is also a solid device, feels good in the hands, and is great for messaging and texting.

Having said that, I switched to the Droid because I'm tired of Windows Mobile, and I love the community here at Android Central. I enjoy the flexibility in the Android OS, and the possibilites of what it can do are very exciting to me. The Motorola Droids glass, capacitive screen is much moe durable than that of the TP2 (much less resistant to scratching) and is much easier to use. Also, at the time I owned my Touch Pro 2, the Verizon version had an issue where it would get stuck on a 1x connection in strong 3G areas. That has since been fixed with a ROM update.

The battery life on the Droid is better, and let's face it, the forum members on AC are off the hook friendly.

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
The only reason you should get a TP2 over a Droid is if you can afford having both phones. And yes Cory is absolutely correct about the AC community, Jeremy the Admin is always up on the latest news and the moderators are always helping him help everyone here...then theres Gbhil the mad genius who helps us all with rooting and what not. Though some of us are part of other forums AC is home.

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I would have to say get the Droid. but I'm biased the Droid is a better phone minus the keyboard and I don't think the touch pro 2 can be updated to phone 7 processor isn't good enough

Yes. No existing phones except the HD2 will be getting Windows Phone Series 7. Go android.

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for all of the info on the phones. I am leaning owards the HTC. It may have windws 6.5 but I love the keyboard (avid txter) and i have always heard htc to make amazing phones.

Im going to the verizon store tomorrow and will mess with both phones. is their a date as to when windows 7 will come out? I usually go thru a new phone every year. If it's coming out soon, I will hold off but if not I will get either the droid or htc.

Battery life isnt to important and flash would just be an extra. Like i said, i justneed to txt and would love aim chat, facebook chat, etc.

Do either phones support viigo like on the blackberry?

*edit* the droid is looking better and better. lol, what to do...

Last edited:

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I'd get the DROID. Why? Because as soon as Windows Phone 7 Series comes out (later this year) you have an obsolete piece of technology in your hand.

Go DROID, it'll be updated for a long time still, as it is currently Motorola and Verizons flagship model.

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Im gonna get the droid tomorrow. Just far better capabilities as opposed to the htc even tho the htc has a better keyboard and a better aesthetic design. haha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87