Republic Wireless?

jeremmar

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Anybody tried out Republic Wireless? What are you thoughts? Worth it?? Happy?? Etc...

Posted via Android Central App

skippy126

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Anybody tried out Republic Wireless? What are you thoughts? Worth it?? Happy?? Etc...

I have them and I have to say, I am extremely pleased both with their phone service and their customer service. I'm switching over both my wife and I over to them (I've been trying them out first before I port our numbers). If you are interested in them below is my referral link that will get you a $19 credit off your service plan.

http://rwshar.es/O2Jj

Sent from my Moto X on Republic Wireless

Last edited:

jeremmar

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
When the phone is not using WiFi, is it on Sprint towers? And does it ever run or roam off Verizon towers?

skippy126

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
When the phone is not using WiFi, is it on Sprint towers? And does it ever run or roam off Verizon towers?

Yeah, it uses Sprint's towers. If no Sprint towers are available, it'll roam on Verizon (and maybe other CDMA carriers too such as US cellular but I'm not sure).

I'm coming from virgin mobile which is also on Sprint's towers but doesn't allow roaming an I've noticed a stronger signal compared to my galaxy s3 on virgin as well as faster 3g speeds. Just tonight, I was able to watch YouTube videos over 3g with no problems whereas with my galaxy s3 on virgin, it would constantly buffer and time out.

Last edited:

jeremmar

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Wow, if it does roam on Verizon's towers that could be a game changer for me. I looked at republic wireless before, but wasn't crazy about the Motorola defy....

Thanks for your help.

skippy126

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow, if it does roam on Verizon's towers that could be a game changer for me. I looked at republic wireless before, but wasn't crazy about the Motorola defy....

Thanks for your help.

No problem... Best of luck!

jeremmar

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Are you able to send and receive picture text messages ? Or are they run through email?

skippy126

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Yup, you can send picture (MMS) messages. Republic recently announced compatibility with all of the 4 major carriers (which I would also assume means all of the smaller carriers that use the 4 main networks' towers). I don't picture message a lot, but so far I've sent picture messages to both people on Virgin Mobile (Sprint) and AT&T and have had no problems.

jeremmar

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying out the moto x on RW for a few days now. I have noticed that not all of my pic messages have been going through so good. After trial and error, I noticed that if I sent a MMS to someone on sprint, then they pic quality was great, but if to someone on at&t it was grainy and looked awful. This is a problem for me because I send a lot of MMS's.

Also, my data speed while not on WiFi is horrible. I have 4/6 bars or so of 3g but can only download .66 and .25 Mbps!!!! That is horrible! It is like I am being throttled! Its hard to do much of anything online with those speeds.

I enjoy the phone in WiFi. It works flawlessly (other than the pic text issue).

Has anyone else noticed these two issues with RW?

skippy126

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying out the moto x on RW for a few days now. I have noticed that not all of my pic messages have been going through so good. After trial and error, I noticed that if I sent a MMS to someone on sprint, then they pic quality was great, but if to someone on at&t it was grainy and looked awful. This is a problem for me because I send a lot of MMS's.

Also, my data speed while not on WiFi is horrible. I have 4/6 bars or so of 3g but can only download .66 and .25 Mbps!!!! That is horrible! It is like I am being throttled! Its hard to do much of anything online with those speeds.

I enjoy the phone in WiFi. It works flawlessly (other than the pic text issue).

Has anyone else noticed these two issues with RW?

I'm not entirely sure about the MMS issues you're having. I haven't noticed some MMS messages showing up clear and others grainy depending on the network it was sent to/from. Honestly, I don't send too many MMS messages but I'll keep an eye out an let you know if I notice anything going forward. In the mean time, I'd suggest contacting republic wireless to see if they are aware of this type of issue.

As for your 3g speeds...well, that's an issue with the network more than the phone. Sprint has notoriously slow 3g speeds (usually), but for me personally, I've seen the speeds and network signal strength improve over the past few months. I know Sprint is working to upgrade and enhance their network...they just might not have started in your area.

kaiser10123

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Been using moto x for almost a months works great waiting on 4.4 for fitbit sync and google wallet touch to pay no real complaints its more if you you have good sprint coverage. 3g speed is veryyy slow for me lte not even available here

achiquitachaser

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much the same here, 3g speeds are dirt slow, and we probably still have another month togo before we see kitkat. But its not bad, I just wish their community forum was better laid out. Right now in my opinion its pretty much garbage, but some of the content is good when you finally find what you're looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress