Note 8 in 2017

SOMEONE2212

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: Note 8

Notate, note 8.0, ... it was due for a change.

My suspect on the "battery" fires has more to do with a charging flaw with the snapdragon 820 motherboards. I know mine fell between the couch cushions one time while still on and plugged in. When I found it several hrs later it was hot as fk and still on. This was a "green icon" replaced once note 7.

My note 3 when overheated goes into power down mode and stops trying to charge the battery. Why didn't the note 7 stop charging or go into power saving mode to reduce the temperature?

Only time my note 3 has gotten that hot was locked in a car with the windows up. Even at that when I turned the screen on it displayed it was overheating and in power save mode with charging disabled.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

Can't say I agree with a single thing in this post.

- You want a Tizen phone? With no gmail, no Chrome, no Maps, no Photos, no YouTube, Allo, Duo, Hangouts, the Google play Store, etc? I don't, and I bet most wont either.
- The brand is not dead. At worst they may choose to rename the Note to something else, but their large phones with an sPen will continue IMO

You do know it's all Linux under the hood right? All of those apps can be side loaded and run in an emulator. But then again it's all IMOP and you're welcome to not agree with a single thing in my post. Long live Android.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

You do know it's all Linux under the hood right? All of those apps can be side loaded and run in an emulator. But then again it's all IMOP and you're welcome to not agree with a single thing in my post. Long live Android.

So because it's all Linux, people are going to buy Samsung Tizen phones? I guess your point is lost on me still ..

Mustaffa q

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site

Considering how big a company samsung is and the amount of market share they make every i believe the note 8 will be a major success if they pull it off nicely without any exploding batteries.

Shanda5303

Banned
Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

Notate, note 8.0, ... it was due for a change.

My suspect on the "battery" fires has more to do with a charging flaw with the snapdragon 820 motherboards. I know mine fell between the couch cushions one time while still on and plugged in. When I found it several hrs later it was hot as fk and still on. This was a "green icon" replaced once note 7.

My note 3 when overheated goes into power down mode and stops trying to charge the battery. Why didn't the note 7 stop charging or go into power saving mode to reduce the temperature?

Only time my note 3 has gotten that hot was locked in a car with the windows up. Even at that when I turned the screen on it displayed it was overheating and in power save mode with charging disabled.
My note 4 did that once or twice (where it would shut down because the phone was too hot) I also wondered why the Note 7's didn't have that feature. I'm guessing that the one's that had issues (meaning the Notes that actually went up in flames) happened too quickly for that sort of safety measure to prevent the damage from occurring. But that's my guess, unfortunately we'll never know...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

My suspect on the "battery" fires has more to do with a charging flaw with the snapdragon 820 motherboards. I know mine fell between the couch cushions one time while still on and plugged in.

The Note 7 was an Exynos... only the US-spec S7s were SD820s.

But most every recent phone will start to heat up under those conditions... dangerously so. There are plenty of stories of people who plugged their phone in to charge than stuffed it under their pillow.... after the initial "Why would you do that?!?", its usually a cautionary tale to avoid wrapping your phone in insulation when you are charging it.

There are a bunch of theories out there currently, and many of them are plausible... from a too-compact battery pack design, to an issue with pack stress due to tight tolerances... all the way to Samsung possibly modifying the charging circuits to allow them to speed up charging time. But without official word from Samsung, it's all speculation.

Remember that these phones are mostly passive cooled. They have some heat pump whiz-bangs to help push the heat around to help dissipate, but there's no fan, like on a laptop or desktop. They only have radiational cooling off the chassis... so if body or air around it gets hot.... whether it be in the sun, in a hot car, squished under a couch cushion, temps can really start to spike.

dreamwever

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site

I think they're going have to release a replacement for the Note 7. It has such a bad rap now that it's affecting the sales of the galaxy 7.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I said this in another thread. I think Samsung ought to make the S Pen an accessory, and make it available for ANY of their high end (or perhaps any) phones. They could make it come with a case, and the case is the holder, OR have it somehow clip on with some sort of adhesive and clip. I trust their ID people can figure something out. Also software would be easy enough to make downloadable. :)

Adrien 485

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: So what's the new 2017 Note gonna be called?

I think "Nova" is quite unlikely as Huawei just released its Nova smartphones.

I guess they could go for something basic like Galaxy S8 Pro or create a new line and call it the Galaxy Pro, though I think that sounds kinda weird.

neutron

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I heard on the internet-sphere the Galaxy S8 Plus

I said this in another thread. I think Samsung ought to make the S Pen an accessory, and make it available for ANY of their high end (or perhaps any) phones. They could make it come with a case, and the case is the holder, OR have it somehow clip on with some sort of adhesive and clip. I trust their ID people can figure something out. Also software would be easy enough to make downloadable. :)

I heard the same thing. The current S Fleet would need to have the digitizer replaced at a minimum. Another consideration would be a S8 model equipped with an S pen silo.

Last edited by a moderator:

startac7868

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

There is a huge fan base with pent up demand that has been yanked away from them by the discontinuation of Note 7. Thus when the Galaxy S8 Note (or whatever it will be called) arrives, there will be lineups the likes of even Apple has not seen.

My guess is the Note 8 will launch in spring along with the S8, so as to get the Note 8 to market sooner to fulfill said pent up demand and make up for market lost sooner. The fall launch will be of the new exotic foldables that will dampen new iPhones. Thus Samsung will again go on the same semi-annual launch schedule, just different phones.

Shanda5303

Banned
Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

There is a huge fan base with pent up demand that has been yanked away from them by the discontinuation of Note 7. Thus when the Galaxy S8 Note (or whatever it will be called) arrives, there will be lineups the likes of even Apple has not seen.

My guess is the Note 8 will launch in spring along with the S8, so as to get the Note 8 to market sooner to fulfill said pent up demand and make up for market lost sooner. The fall launch will be of the new exotic foldables that will dampen new iPhones. Thus Samsung will again go on the same semi-annual launch schedule, just different phones.
That would be awesome if they could pull it off, but I think they might be under too much of a time crunch if they do that especially if new features are added to the latest version of the Note or whatever they end up calling it.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Reports are that Samsung is considering on cancelling the entire Note Line? WTH? Note is a great brand, yes marred by issues with the 7, but should not be given up on.

No doubt the 'Note' brand is great, but unfortunately it's gotten some really bad press. IF and that's a big IF. Samsung decide to change the name and have a new line, it will give Samsung a fresh start.

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

I think the Note line is dead. However, I think it will survive as a part of the "S" line of phones. In fact, I think that when the S8 comes out there will be the S8 with the flat screen and an S8 Edge with a curved screen and a stylus. It will be the Note resurrected as a part of the S line. They may call it the S8 Stylus or the S8 Note or something similar.

However, it may be too soon to see this in the S8 line and my slip into the S9 line but I think this is the way the Note will transform in the future.

What are your thoughts?

I would almost suggest having a Galaxy S8 and a Samsung Galaxy S8 Deluxe. Which would include a S-Pen slot. This people would initially link it to the failed 'note 7' and might give Samsung a fresh start.

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

Last edited by a moderator:

allen476

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site

They won't release Tizen on a phone. Developers aren't going to want to write apps for a third OS and Samsung won't want to invest millions into writing apps. Microsoft Windows phone was a reminder that the market really will only support two operating systems and Samsung took what was learned from that fiasco and scrapped plans for Tizen. It doesn't matter if it is Linux based, people want to be able to download "Flappy Bird" or "Pokemon Go" whenever they want.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: I believe the Note line is dead but could this be the future of the Note?

My thought is that they should try to find a way to make the stylus an option for ALL their high end phones. Some sort of case or clip on option. This way ANY Samsung user who wanted could get the S Pen. I often thought it wasn't really needed on the Note either, BUT that is just my taste. I KNOW some love it. I bought my Notes (the 2 and the 4) because of the size and feature set, I hardly EVER used the pen!

This is a very good idea, pkcable! Make the S Pen compatible with all Samsung devices, so everyone can experience the S Pen if they so choose. And I'm sure those cases/Pens would just fly off the shelves! :)

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: do you think it's possible the Note and S# Edge lines will converge?

Yeah next year is going to bring the first 4 k displays, and therefore bigger performance boosts might even see the first 6 gb + smartphones.

I think after seeing the Note 7 it's really possible they mighz just call it the Edge Plus or Edge Note.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: I believe the Note line is dead but could this be the future of the Note?

Saw reports that Samsung has basically doubled their forecast for flexible smartphone displays over last year. Bye bye flat screened S8? Maybe the S8 will have a subtle edge like the Note7 and the edge model will be more pronounced or all variants will have subtle curves and only come in size variants.
Seeing as they made a concerted effort to align the Note and S series numbers, I would guess they would go with either N8 or S8 Pro or S8 Pen.
Samsung seems to like the letters, so what's another one?