Concerned about the Speakers... What's your thoughts

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I want to get your thoughts and comments about the speakers. The one thing that I like about the 10.1 Galaxy Note was the front facing speakers. The 2014 Edition has them on the side as you may have noticed.

Has anyone heard of there being an issue with the speakers in the front, as opposed to the side? I'm concerned how the quality is going to be...

What are your thoughts?

... Sent from my tablet, please excuse any typos...

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, having them on the front was nice, but also a fugly design. I will reserve judgement until I play with one in person, but I know I am getting it anyways.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's 'fugly' at all. In fact I think that's what helped differentiate it from every other tablet on the market. I absolutely love the front facing speakers. It's not a mystery as to which design is better. When the original Note 10.1 came out and then the Nexus 10, EVERYONE praised the front facing speakers. That was everybody's favorite part of the tablet. I was massively disappointed that they went away from them with the new Note series.

Either way, this is still a huge huge overall upgrade and the speakers can't be a deal breaker when you're talking about such an awesome device as the 2014 Note 10.1. The speaker quality will obviously take a hit, but the quality of everything else is vastly improved so it's a decent tradeoff.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was odd -- and there was a real improvement on the concept going from the original 10.1 to the Nexus 10 (the latter being a Samsung executed idea or no). But ultimately, tablet speakers are no better than a pair of crappy transistor radio speakers. Many times (outdoors, even on my relatively quiet patio) they are simply not loud enough. Anytime I want to listen seriously to something on a tab, I use headphones. Other than that, they're simply a convenience, so the fact that they are side instead of front facing is hardly a deal breaker. At least it's not a crummy iPad mono speaker.

replayed

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I was a tad disappointed when I found out it doesn't have front-facing speakers. I wasn't much of a person who cares about sound quality because I use earphones 24/7, but after I got my hands on the HTC One and discover the crispy clear sound quality from the BoomSound, I was awed. Even though so, don't let this become an obstacle of buying a device. If you're afraid of your hands covering the speakers and blocking the sound, try buying a dock or buy a cheap pair of wireless earphone/headphone. And yes, I agree with JasW. It'll be horrible if it's a mono speaker. In the meanwhile, let's hope Samsung will improve on their speaker on where they are located and the sound quality because everyone's craving for good speakers these days.

sorry for grammar mistakes. English isn't my native language.

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
For me, I don't necessarily need to have high quality sound coming from my tablet. I was more interested in the direct sound quality coming from the front as opposed to the back of the tablet.

There are many times when I'm sitting out by my pool and do not have speakers or headphones with me and want to hear hey youtube video for whatever reason. Again, I don't necessarily need the quality sound for a YouTube video, but when the audio is being directed behind the tablet with ambient noise from my surroundings, is very difficult to hear sometimes. I currently have a Asus transformer 700.

To be honest, is still not clear to me why they discontinued the front facing speakers.

DuStU

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
After some searching on youtube I found a video of someone playing the speakers (they are stereo on the side) they are loud as hell and also the same speakers that are on the tab 3 10.1. My assumption is that given the success of the tab 3, that must have been the deciding factor to put them on the side.

Page Not Found: Computer Shopper you can see them in this review. Youtube "galaxy tab 3 10.1 speakers" and you should get a sample of how the note will sound. Second a new trend of phone cases redirecting the sound to the front is getting popular. I wouldn't be surprised if tablets start getting them too.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
For me, I don't necessarily need to have high quality sound coming from my tablet. I was more interested in the direct sound quality coming from the front as opposed to the back of the tablet.

There are many times when I'm sitting out by my pool and do not have speakers or headphones with me and want to hear hey youtube video for whatever reason. Again, I don't necessarily need the quality sound for a YouTube video, but when the audio is being directed behind the tablet with ambient noise from my surroundings, is very difficult to hear sometimes. I currently have a Asus transformer 700.

To be honest, is still not clear to me why they discontinued the front facing speakers.

That was my thought as well. No one was expecting Bose Stereo Surround Sound. But when you're dealing with tablet or smartphone speakers, they need all the help they can get generally. And having them pointing directly at you is very helpful to get as much out of them as you can. When speakers are on the sides or back of a device, I find myself cupping my hand around them to try to channel the sound toward me. It helps, but it was nice with my Original Note 10.1 to not have to do that. Often I listen to Pandora while I clean my house, cook meals, or exercise. So it was awesome to be able to have those dual front facing speakers facing my general direction and getting as much clarity as I possibly could from them. With the new Note 10.1, i'd probably just buy a decent set of external speakers.

Again though, this is the ONLY thing about this tablet that was any sort of a letdown for me. I absolutely love everything else about it and there's absolutely no possible way i'd let the speakers make or break a device.

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I concur with LegalAmerican on this...!! and its funny that you mentioned "cupping" your hand around the back of the tablet to deflect the sound towards you.. I do the very same thing on my TF700.

Honestly, I am still on the fence about getting a new one because of the speaker placement. I would almost venture to say that I would forgo the processor enhancements to be able to hear "direct sound" when I want to. Again, I really dont listen to music or watch movies on the tablet, but I do alot of research and video conferencing on the tablet and its ALWAYS been an issue hearing, especially if I have the tablet in a case... which muffles it even more..

I would be interested to hear from anyone that has a Galaxy Tab3 and what they think of the speaker sound being on the sides...?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget apple gets away with the poorest of speaker placement and sound quality and no one cares, odd I know but from the video's online I think we will be quite happy with Samsung's design choice.

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
No... I hear yeah..! I would just love to know why they discontinued it... from what I see, everyone love the speakers facing forward.

Raptor... you mentioned "from the videos online".. what videos are you referencing..? I have not seen any that have addressed the speakers on the side. If you have the time, could you please forward me a few links... I'd love to check them out...

Thanks...

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I will have to search around, I know I read about some video's from hands on saying the stereo speakers on the top sides were still solid. When I find them I will post it up. I was looking at youtube.com to on the IFA hands on experiences and the device is solid. I do wish they took the new speaker designs and embedded them on the front, but the new look is very nice still.

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey guy's... I just wanted to give you a quick update on my findings with the speaker issue that I'm concerned about.

I went to my local BB store today and pulled up a YouTube video on the galaxy note 10.1 with a front facing speakers, and I have to be honest, they really did sound great being projected at you directly. I also had a chance to pull up the same YouTube video on the Samsung Tab 3 with the side facing speakers as we are expecting to have on the 2014 edition of the 10.1.

Even though they sounded good, they were still being projected outwards away from the user and I found myself cupping my hand on the side to redirect it towards the front. Again, I'm looking for anyone's feedback that may have the Tab3 and want their thought is with the speakers. I am really on the fence about this and if I had to make a decision today I would probably go with 10.1 with a front facing speakers rather than wait for the 2014 only to be disappointed and have to return it.

Again any thoughts, videos, would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks...

BobJones19

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Most likely the speakers were out on the side for design aesthetics, most people prefer pretty looking things over things that work better but don't look pretty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty