battery life on the note 10.1 2014 edition

zeraworld

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
What is the average battery life you guys are getting? Im always worried about the battery life and it is draining really quickly. Especially Netflix. The max I've gotten was probably about 7 hrs. That's pretty little compared to the iPad. I don't like the iPad but the great battery life on it just makes me want to switch . do you think that a software update can fix this

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
What is the average battery life you guys are getting? Im always worried about the battery life and it is draining really quickly. Especially Netflix. The max I've gotten was probably about 7 hrs. That's pretty little compared to the iPad. I don't like the iPad but the great battery life on it just makes me want to switch . do you think that a software update can fix this

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Depends on your brightness and what you're doing on it. I have an iPad 2 and while the idle time is insane, the screen time isn't all that impressive. Obviously I can't see exactly how long it will last because iOS doesn't have a battery stats monitor but 7 hours isn't bad if you're streaming a lot of movies with a high brightness

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I got 5.5 hours of screen time down to 23%. This was my initial startup, so that included the installation of 40 or so apps. This is slightly under what I got from my 2 year old Transformer Prime, so it's a little disappointing (it's even worse compared to what I got when the TP was new).

However, it's about par with other Android tablets with the same resolution. Also, it uses a standard micro USB port, so I can recharge it in almost any home or office. My TP had a proprietary 30 pin connector and I only have the one it came with. I'm fortunate it never went bad.

If battery life is really important to you, the iPad Air is a much better option. Instead of 7 hours screen time, it gets upwards of 11.

Last edited:

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I find that the best rule of thumb for battery life is display time. Most of your battery is used by the display, so all things being equal app wise, the display time in the battery stats is more important than any other metric. That's why I look at the battery run down tests with the looped video. First, they're pretty consistent (varying only by what brightness level is selected for playback) and it's a great measure of how long the battery can power the screen.

I find statements like, "it should last a day and a half with normal use" to be useless. Everyone uses their tablets differently. The only consistent measure is screen time. This is especially true for wifi only devices like the Note, which is consistently a 7 hour screen device and pales in comparison to the iPad Air. This 7 hours might last you two days or one day, or... 7 hours. It depends on how you use it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I find that the best rule of thumb for battery life is display time. Most of your battery is used by the display, so all things being equal app wise, the display time in the battery stats is more important than any other metric. That's why I look at the battery run down tests with the looped video. First, they're pretty consistent (varying only by what brightness level is selected for playback) and it's a great measure of how long the battery can power the screen.

I find statements like, "it should last a day and a half with normal use" to be useless. Everyone uses their tablets differently. The only consistent measure is screen time. This is especially true for wifi only devices like the Note, which is consistently a 7 hour screen device and pales in comparison to the iPad Air. This 7 hours might last you two days or one day, or... 7 hours. It depends on how you use it.
7 days is a lot for one day if you ask me, even though there are a lot of people who do use it that much. Either way 7 hours should be enough for one day regardless of usage (unless you're gaming) and then you can just charge it overnight