Transitioning from iPhone 4S to Galaxy Note 2?

PrisonedMuffin

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I have a few more questions, so I'm bumping it.

I'm probably going to pre order this at Verizon very soon. I've tried it 4 times in the last 3 days on the last three times on three different carriers( T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular), and all I can say is that I loved it. The phone seemed huge but reasonable at the same time. It fit fine in my sweatpants pocket the first time I tried it at T-Mobile, which left me in disbelief. Then I tried it at Is Cellular a few days later so I could try it in a jeans pocket, but since they didn't have one that wasn't on display, I had to fit it halfway in my jeans pocket, but I definitely knew it would fit nicely (I tried testing a large calculator in my pocket the day before, so while it was bizarre, I didn't feel it much, so I knew this could fit). I was, however, disapointed by the fact that there was no Multi-Window feature on any of the phones I tested; I also was disappointed that there is no 32 or 64 gb versions th pre order. I know I can put music an photos on a 64 gb SD Card, but I'm concerned that certain apps I have on my Tab 10.1 will eat a large chunk of the 16 gb of internal storage. I know the carrier logo on the home button is something you guys really dislike, but it doesn't really bother me. I mean, it does make the phone look a LITTLE worse, but not much at all (I mean, on my OG Droid, there was a Verizon logo on the front and it didn't bother me. I do, however, find it a bit funny how the fact that Motorola's line of Droid RAZR phones, which also had a Verizon logo on the middle of the bottom front of the phone, which didn't, if any at all, meet nearly as much backlash; then again, I've observed that you guys aren't typically as loyal to Motorola phones as to Samsung or Google Nexus phones). A locked bootloader doesn't concern me; I don't know much about rooting, but it's something I could consider doing when the developer community finds a way around it (kinda like the Jailbreak community, BTW). The only thing that really irritates me is that I'll have to wait for more than a month to get this monster till well into next month, and now I'll have to get that Share Everything plan so I don't have to pay $700 for the phone up front in order to keep my data plan, which won't make my dad very happy (keep in mind that I'm 16 and a junior in high school, so obviously I live with my parents; I actually have a life, you know). Also Verizon has the best service and the fastest and most available 4G LTE coverage out there.

A Bluetooth headset is out of questions for 2 reasons: I personally think a headset makes you look dumb wearing it on your ear all the time (plus it's a hassle having to keep track with it all the time), while at the same time, as a high schooler, I don't want any headset touching my ears at all. Also my stepmom also believes that a Bluetooth headset could cause brain tumors and/or cancer (which is crazy, but whatever), so she said no to that. But holding it against my ear is something I'm not sure how I feel about. It didn't really feel that bad to hold it against my face, and my dad said, unlike any site that has reviewed the Note 2, that I don't look that bad with a phone that big on my face. Part of me doesn't give a damn if I look stupid holding up to my ear (which is why my friend, who is also an Android fan, thinks phablets are ed because of this reason, but I didn't take much offense to that), but another part of me feels a bit insecure about it. I guess I could use earbuds with a mic on them (which is how my stepmom makes calls when she's in the car), but that seems like a hassle as well. I also could, while it did feel a bit weird (especially after spending a year with a 4S, which, I don't hate, but have gotten bored with it). I dunno; maybe I've been brainwashed by all the reviews of the phone, except for TechnoBuffalo or PhoneDog, which didn't really touch on it. Maybe they're just really insecure? Also, while I did love Google Now when I tried it, I wish it could, instead of just pulling up a Google Search, it could pull up a card with sports stats (not scores) like Siri. For example, you can ask Siri "who leads the American League in batting average," and it will say "Miguel Cabrera" and will also list his average with other stats by pulling up a card from Yahoo Sports. Google Now, on the other hand, only pulls up a Google search. Also, does it pull up cards for movie times and restaurants by rating when you ask what is the best reastaurant in [insert town here]?, just like Siri? Google Now also doesn't have any personality like Siri, but then again, I only ask it dumb/funny stuff when I'm not with my friends and I'm really bored anyway. But I was impressed with its speed and it's ability to pull up a card for flight statuses, just like when you search manually. This will come in handy when I leave for my trip to Phoenix during winter break. Also, if the Note isn't good for exercise like that one guy said, then I'll buy an iPod touch 5 that I can also put music on because I don't want to carry something that resembles a fanny pack around my waist. No, I'm not an "iSheep" (just like not all iPhone owners; some buy iPhones because it fits their needs/preferences and could care less if it's an iPhone/Apple product), I love Android as well. Windows Phone is something I don't know about at all, and I couldn't get the Lumia 920 anyway since it's an AT&T exclusive.

I know this post is long as hell (y'all probably think "tl;dr" lol), but I just needed to get my thoughts out anyway. I just need a little insight by you guys. So can you at least attempt to read it? I'd really appriciate your opinion so I can officialy finalize my decision regarding this Goliath of a smartphone. All I can say is that, just like Tim Tebow joining the Jets, I'm really excited about this phablet.

mike dent

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
i use icloud to sync all my devices but love the new galaxy notes 2. i found an app to sync callender and contacts with icloud but the galaxy forgets all these entries every time I power it down
can anyone help me get my galaxy synched wwith my ipad and macbook pro

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
i use icloud to sync all my devices but love the new galaxy notes 2. i found an app to sync callender and contacts with icloud but the galaxy forgets all these entries every time I power it down
can anyone help me get my galaxy synched wwith my ipad and macbook pro

If it is the caldav/cardav app you found readthe app description for the fsix. There is some other component that needs to be installed .

WG4169

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I have just purchased the Galaxy note 2 and want to transfer my contacts and calendars from my old Apple 4s.... is there any way to get my Note 2 to sync with Icloud? If not can you sugget the easiest way to to transfer my contacts and calendars and tehn get them to sync with outlook on my main computers?...... also I use office 2010, what is teh best application to use office documents on the note 2?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Just use samsung kies. It will recognize your backups from itunes and import everything it can including contacts and calenders

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Just came across this thread and I am also coming from an iPhone 4. Tomorrow I'm planning on picking up the Note 2 and switching back to Android. I had the nexus one and still have it but Gingerbread got old and I decided to try something new and went iPhone. After a couple of years, it's boring as hell now. Yes it works fine but I dread picking up the phone now daily. Sad I know, it was such a nice polished premium phone compare to the nexus one at the time.

I tried a Nokia 610 to see what windows phone was about but omg that is simpler than iOS. Not for me. After watching YouTube videos of the note 2, I can't imagine not switching to this phone. I'm getting older too so the larger screen will be a bonus for the eyes.

Does anyone use this for navigation and are there car accessories? I can't find any. I use the iPhone and waze for navigation but miss google maps when I used the nexus one years ago.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
2 years changes everything. I don't like iOS now because it treats you like a ret^rd.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a 4s and would LOVE to get this phone. Unfortunately I don't have an upgrade available for quite some time. I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist but most people are wanting almost full retail price. Also there just aren't a ton of them out there right now. I guess people just like these phones too much!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I agree on Craigslist they sell for quite a bit, even locked carrier models. Two years a lot has changed and I'm looking forward to an upgrade soon.

cpuken

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
After owning 3 different iPhones, I'm thinking about making the switch. My current phone is the 4S.
1. Is it safe to assume that any apps purchased for IOS will need to be either abandoned or re-purchased?
2. Are there any critical things (features) that I'm giving up if I make the move from iPhone 4S to Galaxy Note II?
(I don't one to have one of those moments where you make the switch, get everything setup then all of a sudden it hits you... I can't do xyz or I'm missing xyz, I forgot to take that into consideration).

I really like the screen on the Note II, large, bright and sharp.
I recently purchased a 7 inch Android Tablet, that was my 1st android device... a part of me says having a Note II and a 7 inch table is sort of redundant! Not wanting to spend money needlessly. I wonder now if one owns the Note II wheather a 9-10 inch tablet then makes more sense.
Thanks
Ken

susan mccathern

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
What kind of virus protection can u get that doesn't charge a monthly fee of at least $30 subject to change without warning!! For what I paid for the note virus protection should be included!

susan mccathern

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes there are serious things you'll give up, I just made that switch kinda regretting it. Virus protection bein huge on the list! At least $30 a month for that second is battery life.....IT SUX BEYOND BELIEF!! While sitting on my nightstand not bein used battery went from 100% to almost dead in a matter of a few hrs. Think long and hard before u switch!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty