Upgrade - Note 2 questions for Pre-paid Cellular

dhayes08

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello All:
Well, I am ready to take the red pill and dump my cellular contract with sprint and look at prepaid cellular. I have been researching phones like crazy and I am really a heavy user. I basically run my business from my phone and battery life is my biggest issue. I was considering the Nexus 4 but the battery life thing scares me since I have a rooted photon right now running AOKP and I am lucky to make it 4 hours. So I am looking for recommendations. I would like to use Straight talk with an AT&T SIM. I understand that I will not get LTE with straight talk but I was thinking it might be a good idea to get a phone that can be migrated to LTE later if it becomes available. I have checked amazon and such and see the international versions of the NOTE 2 and have read that LTE is not in that unit (7100) but the 7105 has LTE but with no guarantee of the proper LTE bands for US.

Anyway, I was thinking that my only option here to future proof my $700 purchase is to get the AT&T version and unlock it. Then perhaps later down the road if I decide ST is not good I could sign up month to month or postpaid with AT&T and have an LTE phone to use on their network. What do you think?

I am considering the same thing for a galaxy S3 for my wife.

Bummer on the Nexus 4. It looked like a nice phone but the battery issue would kill me.

Thanks much
Dave

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I just did exactly what you're talking about. I have an att note 2 on straight talk, the only difference is I'm trying to move away from Verizon unlimited. Data usage may be a deal breaker for me. My use is extremely heavy. I'm one of the 1% of the 1%. I've honestly had months with over 400gb of mobile data use.
That said, I'm ready to attempt to change some of my usage habits to cut my bill, and straight talk would save me $40/mo per line. There are four lines on my plan. I am the heaviest data user, so if I can make it work out would be great.
Don't cut Sprint out until you're sure this will work for you. Get the phone and a sim card. Try att for a month, then unlock it and try tmobile the next. Whichever works out better stay with that sim. Two months should be enough to see if you can cope with the coverage and data restriction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

rexxcastle

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I am on straight talk with mine. I am also a heavy data user however 90% of the places i am at has wifi which im on. I have no issues with ST, i have the ATT Note 2 so im on the ATT network with same coverage area and service as a normal ATT user.

Speeds will vary

9yme4e4e.jpg

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II on Straight Talk

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
That's better than in getting. I will have to fool around with the APN settings.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
400gb? That shouldnt even be possible. att by there own admission throttle all those that go over 3.5gb. I havent gone over 2gb in over 3 years. Yes I watch alot of video but only on wifi.

rexxcastle

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
400gb? That shouldnt even be possible. att by there own admission throttle all those that go over 3.5gb. I havent gone over 2gb in over 3 years. Yes I watch alot of video but only on wifi.

I dindt even notice that, what the hell do you do to get 400gb?

I Dl and seed torrents like mad at home on my PC and get nothing close to that

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I was away on business. My employer put me up in a hotel with no wifi, but there was newly launched Verizon LTE. I had my phone tethered to my laptop, tablet, and streaming to a roku box for most of the month. No one really had LTE phones at the time so it was mega fast. I really did abuse it. Some of my coworkers were on the same floor a couple of does down so I shared the connection with them as well.
Verizon never throttled me on LTE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87