Car Audio with a Galaxy Note 3

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
After 10 years, I am looking into getting a new car. The car I am looking at has bluetooth, AUX in and a USB in.

I know I can plug the phone into the AUX in, but that is probably the least attractive option since I will also have to plug in a second cord to charge it.

My questions are:

1) Do most cars support bluetooth A2DP streaming?
2) While I know iPods can be controlled via the USB port, is there some way to do the same thing with an android phone.
3) Is there a more appropriate place on AndroidCentral for me to post these questions?

Thanks.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
So I purchased a Toyota Prius C about 6 months ago. it has a navigation screen. once i paired my phone with the car, everytime i get in the car (as long as i keep the bluetooth toggled on the phone) my phone automatically connects and i can make voice activated calls, listen to music, or any other phone function will be piped through the speakers. there is a button on the steering wheel to initialize the call and then you just speak "call home", etc, and it will dial. if i have navigation going on my phone the directions will come through the cars speakers, if i have pandora going, it will come through the cars speakers, etc. just as if it is connected with the aux jack. i don't tend to use the aux jack anymore or the usb connection. the bluetooth just automatically connects and i love it. i know other models had bluetooth without the nav. screen and i'm assuming you would just select "aux" on the stereo and everything would be piped through the same. i tend to not use the navigation system with the car as you can only set it when the car if in park. i know its a safety thing so that the driver isn't driving distracted buy the passenger cant set it either, so i find myself using my phones nav. more.

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site
If the car you are looking at has Blue tooth connectivity for a phone, then you should have no trouble streaming music that way. Once you switch over to the blue tooth audio source, your music should play fine. Of course, this is assuming that the car you are buying is compatible with the phone. I have never been able to get the ipod controls to work over USB in any of the cars I have owned when using an android phone. Blue tooth always works much better especially if you have steering wheel mounted audio controls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 4

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Last April I got a 2013 Equinox with the my link system. I paired it and that was all I had to do. Sounds pretty good that way and the stearing wheel controls control the phone perfectly. I just change to the bluetooth audio source and start listening. I can just forward and back and pause from the steering wheel. If i want to change the radio station in play music i have to get the phone though.

The music player starts automatically as well when selected as the source

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
All depends what you are wanting out of it, and what car you are looking to get. I run lots of rental cars for work, and have had good luck with pairing the cars and my phones. Normally I only use it to make calls though, as its been through the iphone and not as much music was on it, or I used the acc to headphone plug and streamed music via Pandora. In my personal car, I replaced the head unit in the car, with a screen that would pair with the phone. It plugs in and charges the iphone and moves all the controls to the screen. Works great as it also will put the phones navigation app on the screen. I love it, but will find out how it works with the GN3. I know there are several out there that are already set up to run with Droids. I may have to make that change.

An aftermarket unit will most likely give you better sound quality, and options. But that is if you go the used route. Hard to go the new route and want to change the radio right away. They can be had for around the $400 dollar mark, as you don't have to buy the more expensive ones with navigation and all the options. I can even drive and my wife watch netflix as long as there is enough service.

Blackintuit

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to have it built in; you can get the same functionality with the Jarba Freeway for $70. It clips to your visor, and can sync with two phones in the car at the same time. You can use your car's built in speakers over an unused FM radio channel, or the Freeway's built in speakers. Can verify that it not only answers calls with the GN3 (It attempts to pronounce the name you have in your contact list. You say "answer" or "ignore".), but also lets you use GN3's Google Now by entering voice commands after the "OK Google" verbal prompt.

Amazon.com: Jabra FREEWAY Bluetooth Speakerphone (Black, Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories

I've also used it to hear Waze's verbal prompts when navigating, but I haven't tried activating Waze's Voice Commands mode yet. https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Voice_Commands

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I have one of these now, and it works fine, but I think I will be happier with the better sound quality through the stereo.

most people can't even tell i'm in the car as i'm talking. like someone else said having the controls on the steering wheel is awesome.....

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I drive a 2013 Honda Pilot and my phone connects via bluetooth. As far as I know, that is all you need. I get everything through the vehicle's sound system, from phone calls music. I am rocking the original galaxy note lte. :cool:

Sent from my SGH-I717M using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty