Note 3 or nexus 5

ryanjma

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone actually planning on getting both devices to use at the same time? Not sure if people have stick to one phone for work and one phone for personal use.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sold my HTC One... Got the Note 3... Loving it! :D.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone actually planning on getting both devices to use at the same time? Not sure if people have stick to one phone for work and one phone for personal use.

I am planning on it. I had the Nexus 4/Note II and the Galaxy Nexus/original Note; I don't plan to stop now! I like each device for its strengths. However, what's missing on one device doesn't fall into a weakness category for me. They are just different and I like both.

I'm a multi-device person and they are all for personal use, primarily.

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Nexus devices are very good bang for the buck. But the lack of the SD card and swappable battery killed them for me. I need the extra versatility. The bonus of the Note3 feature set is worth the price imho.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
gonna go for the black one should i get screen protector and case for it?

I got a case but decided not to get the screen protector. It wouldn't have fit on my phone with the case anyway. I got the Tech21 case and it is awesome. The best case that I have had thus far on a phone. Got it at T-Mobile.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, my Galaxy Note 3.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Is the Google keyboard available as the default on the note 3? It's the only one I like to use on my nexus

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Is the Google keyboard available as the default on the note 3? It's the only one I like to use on my nexus

I think the default is the Samsung Keyboard but you can also use Swype or install your own keyboard with an app

duoFurious

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same situation, been contemplating the note 3 and nexus 5. Haven't cared for any of the Samsung phone until the note 3. It caught my eye and can't stop looking at it

Posted via Android Central App

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I grabbed the note 3 today in hopes I can sell my moto x and get a nexus 5 with the 14 day return period should I still want that. My biggest concern is battery life with the nexus 5. The nexus 4 was nothing to brag about with battery life and it was without LTE. The nexus 5 comes with a 2300mah battery (100mah bigger than the 4) with a twice as dense pixel display that's also bigger with an LTE radio. To bring the nexus 5 hype down, in doubting the battery life will be very impressive, of not worse that the nexus 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

You can download the Google keyboard, but I assure you that the Samsung keyboard is better. It's weird to say that, because their keyboards have been horrible in the past, but not now.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, my Galaxy Note 3.

Artyom Romanov

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Guys,

I have been thinking about the same thing for a couple of weeks now, following every news about the N5 prospective release, leaks, etc. I was veeeeeeeeeery close to purchase a Note3 last week, but then decided to wait until the N5 would be released. And here are my thoughts I would like to share with you that will (hopefully) help me to make a correct decision (just my opinion, feel free to disagree):

If you have doubts about the software (vanilla Kit-Kat VS TouchWiz+Stylus):
As many said, both devices provide different experience software-wise. People like me who never had a Note are wondering "Is S-Pen really that useful?", "What if I'm gonna hate TouchWiz?", etc. Well, worry not, the solution is simple: If you purchase a Note3 and then at any point will decide that "TouchWiz+Stylus = gimmick" and "Gimme my vanilla android back!" - just flash a custom ROM, I'm sure there's gonna be plenty of them. As a result you will get a super-flagship with vanilla Android and a barely working S-Pen, but who cares about the latter?
==> if your worries are mostly caused by Software, get a Note3. I personally do not see any issues as I will be installing my own ROMs/launchers/keyboards on any of them anyway.

If you have doubts about the hardware (removable battery, SD-slot, 3Gb RAM, 3200 mAh battery in N3, etc):
- RAM should not be an issue. 2Gb on a stock Android is mooooore than enough.
- SD-slot isn't really THAT advantageous if you have a 32Gb N5 (but if 32Gb is still not enough for you - read no further, just get a Note3)
- Fact of being able to remove the battery - doesn't really bother me much. If I ever will think of carrying an extra item (battery) with me, I will rather carry a powerbank instead.
- Optical Image Stabilization (but just 8 MPix) camera on N5 VS 12 MPix and no OIS in Note3: There's no difference for me. It's a phone. It takes decent photos. When I want GOOD photos I carry my DSLR with me (yes, it is bulky, expensive, heavy and I love it!).
- screen size: if you absolutely "don't like phablets" or vice versa "want nothing less than 6"", then why are you still reading this? This being said, let's assume you're like me - will like both 5" and 6" screen, as long as it's FullHD.
==> for me personally these devices are quite similar hardware-wise, meaning that I will not regret about anything if I get either of them, except for just one last thing

Battery capacity: now THIS is the most important factor of all, which is why I'd like to look at it separately.
- Both devices have Snap800 processors clocked at same(ish) speeds
- Screens will have same FullHD resolution
- N5 will have a 5" and Note3 has a 6" display
- N5 will have an IPS and Note3 has %AMOLED display (or whatever it is called now).
- N5 will have Android 4.4 KitKat which will be more battery-friendly
- forget about "power saving modes". Let's assume we will actually USE both phones.
- Note3 has 3200mAh battery which is 40% more capacity than in a 2300 mAh rumored in N5.
- **** N5 32Gb version is rumored (!) to appear with a bigger battery (3000 mAh)

Will a 40% less battery capacity (N5) be able to provide same battery life as on a Note3? I very much doubt it. Even if we assume that Google will do a very nice job optimizing the battery life in KitKat, even if a 20% smaller screen (still with with same resolution) will drain less juice, even if IPS will be much more battery-friendly than %AMOLED - I still think that Note3 will beat N5 on the battery life. Big time.
==> get a Note3

But.
If the rumors about the 3000 mAh battery in a 32Gb N5 version are true, then N5 will kick Note3's ar$e on battery life, easily. Let's just hope that a larger battery won't make the device twice as thick...
==>
if (3000mAh) and not (much_thicker) then begin
buy(N5);
sorry(Note3);
end else begin
buy(Note3);
shut.up;
end;

Last edited:

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
- Fact of being able to remove the battery - doesn't really bother me much. If I ever will think of carrying an extra item (battery) with me, I will rather carry a powerbank instead.
2 points:

1. a GN3 battery is much much much smaller than a powerpack (and the wire comes with it).
2. resell values, battery capacity decreases just by sitting on the shelf. Assuming abuse habit (charging overnight every day), capacity would be 70% at the best in two years. It would be much more attractive when you can tell buyers that its battery is brand new.

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I owned a nexus 4 and loved the experience, but cannot say the note 3 software is bad. It's easy to work around the stuff you don't like with a launcher and apps, but the stuff that really is worth it, like the camera software, the stylus apps, etc., I can't see letting go.

You can make a note 3 get quite close to pure Android, I believe even more so after kit kat is released, but it's more difficult get close to a note 3 from a nexus, impossible in many ways.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Guys,

I have been thinking about the same thing for a couple of weeks now, following every news about the N5 prospective release, leaks, etc. I was veeeeeeeeeery close to purchase a Note3 last week, but then decided to wait until the N5 would be released. And here are my thoughts I would like to share with you that will (hopefully) help me to make a correct decision (just my opinion, feel free to disagree):

If you have doubts about the software (vanilla Kit-Kat VS TouchWiz+Stylus):
As many said, both devices provide different experience software-wise. People like me who never had a Note are wondering "Is S-Pen really that useful?", "What if I'm gonna hate TouchWiz?", etc. Well, worry not, the solution is simple: If you purchase a Note3 and then at any point will decide that "TouchWiz+Stylus = gimmick" and "Gimme my vanilla android back!" - just flash a custom ROM, I'm sure there's gonna be plenty of them. As a result you will get a super-flagship with vanilla Android and a barely working S-Pen, but who cares about the latter?
==> if your worries are mostly caused by Software, get a Note3. I personally do not see any issues as I will be installing my own ROMs/launchers/keyboards on any of them anyway.

If you have doubts about the hardware (removable battery, SD-slot, 3Gb RAM, 3200 mAh battery in N3, etc):
- RAM should not be an issue. 2Gb on a stock Android is mooooore than enough.
- SD-slot isn't really THAT advantageous if you have a 32Gb N5 (but if 32Gb is still not enough for you - read no further, just get a Note3)
- Optical Image Stabilization (but just 8 MPix) camera on N5 VS 12 MPix and no OIS in Note3: There's no difference for me. It's a phone. It takes decent photos. When I want GOOD photos I carry my DSLR with me (yes, it is bulky, expensive, heavy and I love it!).
- screen size: if you absolutely "don't like phablets" or vice versa "want nothing less than 6"", then why are you still reading this? This being said, let's assume you're like me - will like both 5" and 6" screen, as long as it's FullHD.
==> for me personally these devices are quite similar hardware-wise, meaning that I will not regret about anything if I get either of them, except for just one last thing

Battery capacity: now THIS is the most important factor of all, which is why I'd like to look at it separately.
- Both devices have Snap800 processors clocked at same(ish) speeds
- Screens will have same FullHD resolution
- N5 will have a 5" and Note3 has a 6" display
- N5 will have an IPS and Note3 has %AMOLED display (or whatever it is called now).
- N5 will have Android 4.4 KitKat which will be more battery-friendly
- forget about "power saving modes". Let's assume we will actually USE both phones.
- Note3 has 3200mAh battery which is 40% more capacity than in a 2300 mAh rumored in N5.
- **** N5 32Gb version is rumored (!) to appear with a bigger battery (3000 mAh)

Will a 40% less battery capacity (N5) be able to provide same battery life as on a Note3? I very much doubt it. Even if we assume that Google will do a very nice job optimizing the battery life in KitKat, even if a 20% smaller screen (still with with same resolution) will drain less juice, even if IPS will be much more battery-friendly than %AMOLED - I still think that Note3 will beat N5 on the battery life. Big time.
==> get a Note3

But.
If the rumors about the 3000 mAh battery in a 32Gb N5 version are true, then N5 will kick Note3's ar$e on battery life, easily. Let's just hope that a larger battery won't make the device twice as thick...
==>
if (3000mAh) and not (much_thicker) then begin
buy(N5);
sorry(Note3);
end else begin
buy(Note3);
shut.up;
end;

Pretty sure AMOLED uses less battery than IPS since it has less pixels (Pentile display) and also isn't as bright.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think I would trade my Note 3 if I had any hope for the Nexus 5 coming to Verizon. I miss stock Android. There's nothing better than a Nexus experience to me.

Sent from my Verizon Note 3 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I honestly think I would trade my Note 3 if I had any hope for the Nexus 5 coming to Verizon. I miss stock Android. There's nothing better than a Nexus experience to me.

Wait for a CyanogenMod ROM and keep your Note 3 :cool:

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

What about stock Android do you like?

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, it's for real.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa