Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FBA
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Galaxy Note 3 - Max Charging Current

    Will the Note 3 charge any faster than 1200maH? I've tried multiple chargers / cable combo's including 2.1 amp versions and the max charging rate I can get according to my Galaxy Charging Current app is 1200maH, that's the same as 1.2 amp right? So a 2.1 amp charger or above is pointless correct?
  2. #2  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,007 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,050 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Max Charging Current

    I'm under the impression that the max speed is 2000 mAH for this device. I've seen several people say they average around 1800 mAH for the full cycle, but phones don't charge at a constant rate, but increase/decrease power draw dynamically throughout the charge and the max speed is governed by the lesser of the maximum the circuit inside the device and the throughput of the charging cable and the output of the actual charger (if separate).

    Edit: Found out that the device governs itself at 1200mA while the screen is on (of power pushed into the battery storage).
    Last edited by NothingIsTrue; 12-27-2013 at 06:42 AM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Max Charging Current

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    I'm under the impression that the max speed is 2000 mAH for this device. I've seen several people say they average around 1800 mAH for the full cycle, but phones don't charge at a constant rate, but increase/decrease power draw dynamically throughout the charge and the max speed is governed by the lesser of the maximum the circuit inside the device and the throughput of the charging cable and the output of the actual charger (if separate).
    Well, how are they measuring it? The only way I know how is through that app I mentioned, and I never see anything higher than 1200maH even using my Ventev 2.1 amp charger & cable, how can you tell if it's charging at 1800mah?
  4. #4  
    FBA
    FBA is offline
    FBA's Avatar

    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,337 Global Posts

    Default Re: Max Charging Current

    You can do a hand calculation --

    If the wall charger has a 2.1 amp hour charge capacity...add a 25% loss on that and it means it would deliver 2.1 amps less 25% (per hour); in other words, 1.575 amps per hour. The phone battery is 3.2 amps. It will charge a battery from 0-100% in a hair over 2 hours...and it does exactly that. Effectively, you would see it charge between 1.25-1.8 amps at any time, which is what I see.

    If you use a 1.2 amp charger, it will just take longer. You need a 2.1 amp charger to get full charging speed.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.
    boudicca00 likes this.
  5. #5  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,007 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,050 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Max Charging Current

    If you're using this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ent.free&hl=en it says:

    Compatibility list:

    - Most Galaxy S4 models.
    - International Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300 and GT-I9305).
    - South Korean Samsung Galaxy S3 (SHV-E210K/L/S).
    - International Samsung Galaxy Note II (GT-N7105).
    - Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II (SCH-i605).

    It may also work on other devices, but such is not guaranteed.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cc71.bmw&hl=en (Battery Monitor Widget) is one I have used before and it does list the Note 3, however Samsung devices have notoriously been difficult to measure voltage on because of something they and I think Moto do differently in kernel integration.

    More info from XDA: The stock charger (2A) will charge 1800 mA while in standby (the screen is off) and 1200 mA while the screen is on. In addition, the phone is drawing another 200 mA while in standby to power the device while it charges at 1800 mA and 800 while on (just the delta from 2A). So your battery monitor is probably right, that aside from what it allocates to device power (800mA), it's netting 1200mA. Devices also charge faster up to 50% than they do when above 50%. Anything above 2A (2.1A, 10A, etc) will still be governed at the 2A that the device supports.

    If these numbers are correct, you should be able to take your (100% - battery level %)*battery capacity/(1.8A or 1.2A, depending on if on or off) = theoretical charge time in hours. Divide that by roughly 80% and that should be your total charge time, give or take a reasonable margin.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Max Charging Current

    Wow. Never have I seen a thread get so technical about max charging amps and etc.
    Note 4/ Note 3 / Note 2 / hTc One E8 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G3
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note 3 - Max Charging Current


    OEM Note 3 charger


    Old OEM LG Charger using Note 3 white charging cable.

    Guess there's a big difference in these chargers.

    from "Ms Note 3"
  8. #8  
    beh
    beh is offline
    beh's Avatar

    Posts
    484 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

    Default Re: Galaxy Note 3 - Max Charging Current

    Samsung supplies a 2 Amp output charger. So using a charger with an output of 2.0 to 2.4 amps would seem to be suitable. While I have charged my Note 3 using a 1 amp charger it definitely took longer than on the OEM 2 amp charger. A 700 mAmp charger couldn't even hold Note 3 battery level when the phone was on and idle.
    If you are running an app and have the screen on to read it then you can't be seeing the max charge capacity as you are using battery to power those items.
    Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900V
    Galaxy Note 8 SGH-1467
    Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note 3 - Max Charging Current

    Yeah, that's why I only use LG Charger when I need to borrow Samsung charger to power my tablet.

    from "Ms Note 3"
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note 3 - Max Charging Current

    Seems people won't believe me but both my 0.7A Samsung car snd spare one piece wall charger from my sold GS2 charge/top up my Note 3 just fine. Same speed as on my GS2 it seems. Whem I get home the 2.0 A feels supercharged and turbo charged by comparison. But those 20-30 minute mid top ups make a huge difference. I will have to time the 0.7A soon.
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Max Charging Current

    Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    You can do a hand calculation --

    If the wall charger has a 2.1 amp hour charge capacity...add a 25% loss on that and it means it would deliver 2.1 amps less 25% (per hour); in other words, 1.575 amps per hour. The phone battery is 3.2 amps. It will charge a battery from 0-100% in a hair over 2 hours...and it does exactly that. Effectively, you would see it charge between 1.25-1.8 amps at any time, which is what I see.

    If you use a 1.2 amp charger, it will just take longer. You need a 2.1 amp charger to get full charging speed.
    The charger is 5v/2.1a. But the battery is 3.8v/3.2a or 12.16w-h. The battery will charge quickly up to about 85% then the charging will slow

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note 3 - Max Charging Current

    Quote Originally Posted by Madd54 View Post
    Seems people won't believe me but both my 0.7A Samsung car snd spare one piece wall charger from my sold GS2 charge/top up my Note 3 just fine. Same speed as on my GS2 it seems. Whem I get home the 2.0 A feels supercharged and turbo charged by comparison. But those 20-30 minute mid top ups make a huge difference. I will have to time the 0.7A soon.
    0.7a would be slow. I use an 8 amp charger and can get about 60% charge in an hour. Also keep in mind that I am running hotspot.





    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note 3 - Max Charging Current

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    0.7a would be slow. I use an 8 amp charger and can get about 60% charge in an hour. Also keep in mind that I am running hotspot.

    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/ve6y3yna.jpg

    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/ymube4u7.jpg

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Hi, what is the brand and make of the 8 amp charger you use? As well as the charging cable? Can you send me a link if possible? Thanks

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note 3 - Max Charging Current

    Quote Originally Posted by popengchan View Post
    Hi, what is the brand and make of the 8 amp charger you use? As well as the charging cable? Can you send me a link if possible? Thanks

    Posted via Android Central App

    I have the Anker 8a/40w charger, I picked one up when it was $21. Note that it is a max 2.4a per port.
    http://www.amazon.com/Family-Sized-D...0-20&m1k=vb_ac


    Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note 3 - Max Charging Current

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    I have the Anker 8a/40w charger, I picked one up when it was $21. Note that it is a max 2.4a per port.
    http://www.amazon.com/Family-Sized-D...0-20&m1k=vb_ac


    Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3
    How about the cable that you use? Seems to me that it's consistent based on tests that the cable affects how much current is delivered to the device, so the cable is a factor.

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note 3 - Max Charging Current

    Quote Originally Posted by popengchan View Post
    How about the cable that you use? Seems to me that it's consistent based on tests that the cable affects how much current is delivered to the device, so the cable is a factor.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Stock cable, I have some older lg and TouchPad microusb, all charge at a high rate. I also have an Amazon basics usb 3 cable which works well too.

    Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Similar Threads

  1. Battery Has Gone Crazy on my Galaxy S3
    By Bebusy in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-29-2014, 11:48 AM
  2. Sprint Galaxy Note 2 - Which app is accessing my GPS?
    By ForTheGlory in forum Sprint Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-01-2014, 07:15 AM
  3. Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) Message always says Refreshing
    By spasell in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2013, 12:30 PM
  4. A new observation/discovery about Samsung Link, sending media to TV from Note
    By dianehelen in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2013, 08:24 AM
  5. Llama not recognising wireless charging event
    By itm in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2013, 05:59 AM

Posting Permissions