Restarting phone and says custom??

cmcfarland

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
When i restart and it flashes the Samsung screen is says custom and a unlock symbol?? It just starting doing this? What is it???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No. Nothing!

Did you buy the phone brand new from a carrier store or a major retailer? or did you buy it online?
If it's showing as unlocked it means that someone has or has tried to flash something to the phone

Posted via Android Central App

cmcfarland

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Bought it new from best buy months ago.. It never did this b4. I have never attempted dp do any of that bc i have no clue how

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Bought it new from best buy months ago.. It never did this b4. I have never attempted dp do any of that bc i have no clue how

So it just started happening out of nowhere? That's weird...maybe a friend/family member did it without you being aware

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like a rooted device. Someone might have done it behind your back? Have you let anyone borrow it recently?

Check in your apps to see if you have SuperSU. If you do then it has been rooted for sure.

Sent by my lady friend, Note 3

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a rooted device. Someone might have done it behind your back? Have you let anyone borrow it recently?

Check in your apps to see if you have SuperSU. If you do then it has been rooted for sure.

Even an attempt at rooting would do this, doesn't necessarily need SU installed

Crxssroad

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Even an attempt at rooting would do this, doesn't necessarily need SU installed

If is a custom ROM doesn't that mean it's been rooted?

I'm not all up to date on rooting, I've only done it once ever but the concept seems simple enough.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If is a custom ROM doesn't that mean it's been rooted?

I'm not all up to date on rooting, I've only done it once ever but the concept seems simple enough.

Yeah, but I don't think he has a custom ROM. It just says the binary is custom, which means the flash counter (Knox) was tripped. This happens if you try to flash anything that isn't official firmware

grinchy1

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if you ever found out why your phone did that? I have a Samung galaxy, I bought new from verizon, I have not had it a year yet. Never had any problems. Great phone. On 4/19/14 I was having trouble with the 4G and restarted my phone a few times. Did not really help. So I took the battery out, (did not turn off the phone first) and place it back in. Still not much help with 4G. I guess I did this about 3x in a hours time. and I guess it was one time to many, the last time my phone came on it said Samsung, custome unlock. An from there on, I had NO use of my phone. I never returned to turning on, just would go to the white Verizon screen and never turn on.

I have NEVER tried to root my phone and always thought I was careful as to what I downloaded. I called verzion and spoke to one of the tech's who said he had never heard of that before. He suggested I do a factory reset, which I had already tried with no luck. He said I had to go to my local Verizon store, which I did the next day and they guy there had no idea what was wrong or why it did this.

I had to be sent a new phone. I am still confused as to what happened and why. I don't what it to happen again an as I have no idea why, I can't say it will not. So I was wondering if you knew what casued your to do that and did you have to get a new one?
Thanks
Robin

justking100

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have figured out a way to get rid of the custom logo from boot up
All you have to do is go into recovery mode and select reboot (don't do anything except reboot) then you are done the logo is gone. to go into recovery mode all you need to do is turn off your phone. once the phone is completely off then press the home button+power+volume up.

Metups

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, justking100. That worked for me. My S5 is rooted without a custom bootloader, but I do have xposed framework installed - I mention that because some persons were getting the custom unlocked bootscreen after they installed xposed. Anyway, after going into recovery and then restarting, the custom unlocked screen no longer appears.

ThaDaedalus82

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
My note 3 started showing the same custom open padlock icon at startup and I cant connect to my mobile network to use my data. I definitely did not try rooting it or anything of sort. I tried the reboot in recovery mode and.have had no luck. this is getting frustrating.

ThaDaedalus82

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I've had the same problem and no one rooted my phone. I can't use my media or make phone calls. I even factory restored my phone and that stupid custom screen with the open padlock is still on there. What a nightmare!

shanbhai

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
When i restart and it flashes the Samsung screen is says custom and a unlock symbol?? It just starting doing this? What is it???

Keith Grech

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone have a fix for this issue. I have an S 7 edge and I am with T Mobile and I have been having this "Custom" status issue for approximately 2months and Ive call Samsung T Mobile and even went to BestBuy and had absolutely no luck. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this issue please post I will be forever grateful Thank you... Keith G