How do I enable "Okay Google" voice command system wide?

NJRonbo

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the Galaxy Note 3, AT&T version 4.4.2

I don't think 4.4.3 has reached us yet.

In any event, I thought there was a Google Search update coming that would allow users to say "Okay Google" from any screen to do a search.

Just got a Google Search update this morning, but it doesn't seem to enable that command system wide.

Is this something exclusive to 4.4.3, or just some phones, or is there something in settings I have to enable?

Thank You

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Open google, go to settings/voice/OK Google hotword detection/ turn it to ON. That is if these settings are on your phone.

I have the Galaxy Note 3, AT&T version 4.4.2

I don't think 4.4.3 has reached us yet.

In any event, I thought there was a Google Search update coming that would allow users to say "Okay Google" from any screen to do a search.

Just got a Google Search update this morning, but it doesn't seem to enable that command system wide.

Is this something exclusive to 4.4.3, or just some phones, or is there something in settings I have to enable?

Thank You

NJRonbo

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Open google, go to settings/voice/OK Google hotword detection/ turn it to ON. That is if these settings are on your phone.

Yeah, at the moment, it only allows you to search from the app (only option available)

I suppose the original reply stands that it is being enabled in stages. This grasshopper will have to wait a bit longer.

Thanks for the reply.

dc5_k20z1

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I just got the OK Google hotword detection system wide and audio history enabled. Must be in full roll out now as I'm always last in roll outs!

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Holy hell dude! Thank you for the link... I disbelievingly tried it, and am absolutely amazed: there were the new settings. Genius! Thanks again

Posted via Android Central App

Quasar

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I got Google Play Services 5 and the update to Google Search and still wasn't seeing the feature. On my nexus 10, I just happened to do a search for "OK Google everywhere" to see if there were any new insights about it. After doing the search, I went to the Google Now settings to look again. To my surprise, they were there. I then went to my Nexus 5 and found nothing. Wondering if it was the search, I tried it again and they appeared. That is an unusual way to get a new feature :p

NJRonbo

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
So odd...

Those options were not there the first time, but magically, after going to the reference page, the settings were there.

Works perfectly. Thanks.

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was odd as well, but I imagine since Google has to enable it on the back end. What better way to sort of beta test a new feature on older devices, then making it only available to those who are looking up the feature on the Google Support pages?

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
My God, you're awesome!

Best thing about it is that I can say it even when the phone screen is off and charging. Works flawlessly.

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Btw this OK Google everywhere thing works even with Nova Launcher. If you're experiencing any jank like I was, go in to the Google Hotword setting in Nova and uncheck the OK, Google Hotword box.

The Hotword detection will be covered by the Google search app and the delay goes away. I'm sure Nova will fix this sometime soon.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

Jeff Smith13

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I have the lgg2 phone. I've been waiting since I bought this phone for the ok Google thing to work but it had only worked from the Google screen. I went to the Google now settings and was able to switch the settings so I now can use it from any screen. It really is well. However, I can't get it work from the black screen. Does anyone know if that feature is coming or not?

Really wierd but it didn't work before I posted my question but it works now. I love it.

Last edited:

coreyacole

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Added that if you're the type of person to use your voice recorder feature, turning this on will kill that.

My voice recorder tells me that another app is using the mic and won't work.

Doesn't mess with voice typing though.

LR7

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I am having this issue with my Galaxy S6. I cannot get the feature to listen on any screen. I don;t have the option in the Google Search App settings to (re)train my voice. Under OK Google detection settings all I have is, Say "OK Google" to start a voice search from the Google app or any Home screen in the Google Now Launcher.

FWIW I also have the Google Now Launcher installed on my S6. This was not an issue on my S5. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I use this feature many times a day and it will be a BIG loss not to have it on the S6.

Wayne Brawner

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
i have the galaxy note 3, at&t version 4.4.2

i don't think 4.4.3 has reached us yet.

In any event, i thought there was a google search update coming that would allow users to say "okay google" from any screen to do a search.

Just got a google search update this morning, but it doesn't seem to enable that command system wide.

Is this something exclusive to 4.4.3, or just some phones, or is there something in settings i have to enable?

Thank you

bring okay google back if people new how to use their smart phone and turn off okay google. We could still be using it!!!!!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty