extended battery and fast charge question

zadam123

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
has anyone bought a extended battery that fits without an new back door? which one?
also if you use the fast charge with it will it charge quick or blow up lol

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The size of the battery will have no impact on whether or not it will fast charge. It will just take longer to charge a larger battery.

I am not aware of any larger batteries that do not require a new back door.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you charge a lithium battery at faster than 1C (IOW, if it's a 7,000 mAh [7 AmpHour] battery and you charge it at more than 7,000 mA), you'll make sure it has a short life. (Which is why a 5 minute full charge may be great marketing, but it's lousy engineering.) Charging a lithium battery too fast can cause it to explode (from gas pressure build-up) or catch fire (from overheating).

I prefer carrying a spare battery or two, and have a charger to charge them outside the phone. They charge at the normal rate, I can swap batteries at 40-50% (which gives the longest life) and it's cheap. (For most phones, 2 good batteries and a charger run around $25.)

@LaTuFu:
Charging a larger battery at a faster rate than a smaller one (IOW, if the battery has twice the capacity and you charge it at twice the current), the charge time is the same. A 1C charge will fully charge the battery in a little over an hour (it's not 100% efficient - nothing is).

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
If you charge a lithium battery at faster than 1C (IOW, if it's a 7,000 mAh [7 AmpHour] battery and you charge it at more than 7,000 mA), you'll make sure it has a short life. (Which is why a 5 minute full charge may be great marketing, but it's lousy engineering.) Charging a lithium battery too fast can cause it to explode (from gas pressure build-up) or catch fire (from overheating).

I prefer carrying a spare battery or two, and have a charger to charge them outside the phone. They charge at the normal rate, I can swap batteries at 40-50% (which gives the longest life) and it's cheap. (For most phones, 2 good batteries and a charger run around $25.)

Fortunately, none of that is possible with the chargers they make available for cell phones.

You'd have to get hobby level charging equipment to get 1C charge rates.

zadam123

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I saw a 4500 mAh battery on eBay that claims to be the same size as ours. Anybody ever try it it's only $7 so I'm worried if it's any good

Posted via the Android Central App

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I saw a 4500 mAh battery on eBay that claims to be the same size as ours. Anybody ever try it it's only $7 so I'm worried if it's any good

Posted via the Android Central App

The typical answer is that if it is the same size, and same weight, it is hard to understand how it can be bigger in capacity with current tech. Only $7. You know, there's that old saw: if it sounds too good to be true...

Games played with batteries are particularly easy because most won't or can't measure capacity. And then there is the problem that cheaply made batteries might go "boom." I wouldn't go near this, personally.

pizza5

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Throwing wisdom to the wind I bought 2 Extended batteries. One was 3800 mah and the other 4500 mah. I have not been able charge them, either fast or regular, much past 65%. Admittedly they were cheap but I did use a similar one on my N2 and it worked great. BTW, they both fit within the original back cover. Either they are not as rated, or they won't take a full charge or the N4 is incapable of measuring an Extended battery, or something else. Am in the process of "calibrating" them. I would prefer not getting a bulkier battery as this puppy is big enough now. Have seem some advertised on eBay and Amazon.

TCD

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

pizza5

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Haven't seen an extended battery that fits inside the original case yet. I ordered ZeroLemon » Zerolemon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 10000mah Extended Battery + NFC + Rugged Black Zero Shock Hybrid Protection Case – Black for myself based on past experience with S3 and S5 kits from them. They include a quality case with the battery, BUT be warned that the phone will be nearly 21mm thick with this setup and as such is not for everybody. Full NFC support for S-Beam, Google Wallet, etc.
If you haven't seen an extended battery that fits within the original case - you'll have to get out more. By "extended" I mean a higher mah level than stock which is 3220. I used a 4200 mah on my N2 to great advantage. I now own 2 extended batteries one rated at 4500. I am trying to avoid those thick heavy batteries as good as they are. Unless you're going on a long expedition with no access to electric, or solar power I don't see a widespread need for 10,000 mah. Those within the case extended batteries are widely available on Amazon and EBay , although I've had some bad experiences with vendors from our friends in China.

TCD

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
For me the point is mostly to prevent being tied to a charger, the stock battery lasts me about 34 hours on average so far before going critical. Hoping to get the 4-5 days out of the ZeroLemon for the N4 that I get with the S3 and S5 versions. Size obviously doesn't bother me since the dang thing doesn't fit in my pockets anyhow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38