migrated from blackberry q10 to note 4... missing the ease of email management and the blackberry hu

theravindra

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Like the title says...

I used the android device as my secondary device and the BB Q10 as my primary (mails, calls and everything else work related)... I am really liking the note 4 (and more importantly, my Q10 is ready to retire).. I need to move my work stuff to the note 4 now, I really don't like the native mail management system in Gmail and "EMAIL"... is there any email app out there which resembles the blackberry UI for emails???

Posted via the Android Central App

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
It's been a while since I had any hands on with the BB email clients. As in, way back in the days before the Storm, even. It was a painful withdrawal experience for me moving over to Android as well. One thing BB did an excellent job of doing was managing emails.

That being said, I think Android has come a long way.

What are you looking for the email app to do? I am not familiar enough with BB today to know.

Apps I would suggest looking at:
Inbox (Gmail app)
AquaMail (Never used it, but people who do swear by it)

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
It's been a while since I had any hands on with the BB email clients. As in, way back in the days before the Storm, even. It was a painful withdrawal experience for me moving over to Android as well. One thing BB did an excellent job of doing was managing emails.

That being said, I think Android has come a long way.

What are you looking for the email app to do? I am not familiar enough with BB today to know.

Apps I would suggest looking at:
Inbox (Gmail app)
AquaMail (Never used it, but people who do swear by it)

Aquamail is a really good email app for multiple email accounts with lots of customization options.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Another mail option if it's exchange mail you're wanting to set up is Nine Mail. I've used several but none as good. It's not cheap but it's worth the money.
I also came from the BB world (it's been about 3 years) and email was a BIG concern for me, it is my life line to about 250 employees.

Posted via the Android Central App from the beast A.K.A. Note 4.

theravindra

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
where do i even begin.... i am so lost with regards to the email and message/whatsapp access.. i have been a blackberry user since the last 12 years... transitioned through BB OS5 thru OS10.3... never had any problems with mail and message communications... i started using android around 2 years ago when i bought the nexus5.. loved it... but since i had my BB Q10 i never had to use the android email apps... and frankly stock android mails apps don't come anywhere near the functional BB email management system...

the user interface of the BB HUB from BB OS10.. ease of access to all message and mail related items through a simple left swipe from the bottom of the screen from anywhere or any app... listing of all email accounts one below the other and each account opening by default into the all items folder... the quick reply/reply all/forward options... please help me find something which comes close to the BB hub way of mail and message management...

thanks

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I had to stop comparing everything about my BB to how it is done in Android. I think you're going to have to do the same. My BB was so efficient as a communication device it seemed as if I'd never be happy with anything else.

I know it's not easy but you have to just jump in with both feet. Try as many different apps as you have to until you've found the one that works best for you. You will be disappointed with several as you go, but keep going and you will find something that works. I think the biggest advantage of Android is the number of apps available. You're bound to find the one that works for you, if you keep looking.

Keep in mind you're not going to find apps that work the same, but you should find apps that work just as well.

You just have to embrace the dark side, welcome to AC and the Android world. Just think, you could be using an iPhone, in which case you'd be doing things Apples way or not at all.

Posted via the Android Central App from the beast A.K.A. Note 4.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you even tried any of the app suggestions above??
Android is different than BB. If you are looking for an exact BB Hub app then you should just continue to use BB. If you're open to change then you should try a few of the apps that Android offers for email. I was an avid BB user for many years and there is nothing that BB does that you cannot do better (or at least as good as) with Android.

As mentioned, Aquamail has a Smart Folder where you can have all of your email accounts merged in one place. And you can configure it in many different ways that work for your needs.

Last edited:

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I would like to add that I was a BB user for a long time and was active in their forums on Crackberry.... and it is refreshing to see that at AC people can talk about the pros and cons of an OS without resorting to insults..... On the Crackberry side of things, if you mention switching to Android or God forbid Apple... They jump on you like a shark to a slab of meat.....There are phones and OS's for everyone and it is refreshing to see people talking about them. Crackberry could learn a lot from AC.......

I am a phone NUT and have had them all... and currently am playing with a Droid Turbo which is only a few days old but seems AMAZING...But I still have my Iphone 6+ as my daily driver. I put my Z30 in my desk and I am sure I will pull it out again at some point....

BDBDBD

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Many of us are former and current BlackBerry users and I'm afraid to say it, but Android cannot duplicate the ease and speed of BlackBerry in regards to e-mail. On Android, I've tried all the apps (K9, Mailwise, Bluemail, etc.) The BlackBerry hub along with it's physical keyboard is the way to go for speed.

Although discussing keyboards (physical vs virtual) is another holy war, I've gone back to physical keyboards as they are more accurate (but maybe not as fast) compared to a virtual keyboard. More importantly, a physical keyboard allows me to focus on the message/e-mail rather than the Swipe/Swiftkey suggestions. Here is a quick test if you don't believe me. Close your eyes and see how fast and accurately you can type on each keyboard.

Going back to your original post, the solution I found for now (which is not very elegant) is to use both devices. I have a BlackBerry Passport which I use for my messaging, calls and calendar. The Android is used for navigation/maps, OneNote, and any other apps I may need. I usually carry a briefcase or am in a car, so carrying both is not a problem.

Mel Calixtro

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I would like to add that I was a BB user for a long time and was active in their forums on Crackberry.... and it is refreshing to see that at AC people can talk about the pros and cons of an OS without resorting to insults..... On the Crackberry side of things, if you mention switching to Android or God forbid Apple... They jump on you like a shark to a slab of meat.....There are phones and OS's for everyone and it is refreshing to see people talking about them. Crackberry could learn a lot from AC....

Lol seriously.

They are so defensive on cb. You wouldn't think people would act the way they do since they are all "grown, professional, important, business people" who get things done.

theravindra

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone great insight and a lot of passion even... yeah I guess change is hard... passport just didn't appeal enough to me that's why I went ahead with the note 4... I guess nothing on the shelves right now can match up to the physical keyboard and the BB hub, AND YES, I must focus more on what's gained rather than what's lost...

Coming back to the main issue, if we take a vote right now, aqua mail is the flavour of the month?

P.S. : PLZ don't be so hard on the CB guys... I'm still extremely attached to them... BB boys isnt just a cult... it's a way of life...

Moacirusa

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
There's a new beta app called HUB (with a yellow circle) on play store now. It works just like BB hub. Not just for email, but for Facebook notification, twitter, whatsup, etc. It still have some bugs , but I'll eventually gets better. E-MSI is the developer. Tell me if you tried, and what you think please

Moacirusa

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I came from a Z10. I bought a note 3 a few weeks ago. Almost everything changes when you come from a BB to android. I have to admit that hub made my life really better when talking about speed. I could do anything faster with my Z10 then my note 3 when talking about notifications, but cell fone is not only about email. Note 3 is a great cell, I do not repent.

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I also had a Q10 and frankly I don't miss it at all. I hated having to deal with anything other than mail in the hub. I want mail to be mail. I prefer FB, Twitter, and WhatsApp to be separate.
Never saw the big deal with the hub. Glad to be free of it

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

Last edited:

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Do give maildroid email app a try as well. For me the fixed option to bcc all emails to my pc using maildroid is quite important. With the other options mentioned, you have to enter a cc or bcc address everytime.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38