Someone please help? Cannot forward calls

scmagee

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Call Forwarding?

Ok, I have a theory that I want to run past some of you Android wizards out there. I got my GS5 to work, ie not throw up and error when I try to enter the "additional settings" menu.
1) It seems like the error was associated with the fact that HD Voice did not work on my phone.
2) Speaking with AT&T, I was told that there was something was "stopping" them from be able to provision my account for HD Voice.
3) HD voice is a feature that was available on the GS5 after the 4.4.4 (OA1) update.
So I was thinking, what if just updating to 4.4.4 from 4.4.2 was not enough for the "switch" to detect that not only am I using a GS5 but it
also was running 4.4.4 and HD Voice capable? And what if 4.4.4 has a new control channel protocol for things like Call forwarding?
What if I try to figure out a way to MAKE the switch really interrogate my GS5 and see the 4.4.4?
Well here is what I did.
I took my SIM card out of my GS5 and put it into an old GS3. Then I logged onto my AT&T account where I could see that the switch now sees that I
have a GS3. Great I now know the switch see the change. NOW switch the SIM card back to the GS5 and see if that forces a more thorough interrogation of my GS5. Well IT WORKED!!! Now HD Voice works and so does Call forwarding.
I am not sure if my logic was correct but it seems to have done the trick.
Any comments are welcome.
Thanks

Last edited:

phnman390

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

When going into the settings to forward calls I keep getting a network/sim error and it won't let me change any of the forwarding options. Is there something I am missing here?
I had this problem after the lollipop update and it was with my Galaxy Note edge I cannot forward any calls and I keep getting SIM card error when I try to I tried to change my sim card that did not help AT&T support says they're aware of it and there will be an update soon

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

I had this problem after the lollipop update and it was with my Galaxy Note edge I cannot forward any calls and I keep getting SIM card error when I try to I tried to change my sim card that did not help AT&T support says they're aware of it and there will be an update soon

I had this problem on KK. After updating to Lollipop I can now forward calls :)

djljr1

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Samsung Note Edge not forwarding calls to my Gear S. I couldn't forward directly from my phone either, with the same network or SIM error.

It now clearly appears that it was the update to lollipop that has caused this issue. Here is how I resolved the issue:

- I downloaded Samsung Kies 3

- Under Tools, I performed a "Firmware Upgrade & Initialization"

- It will ask for the exact model number and serial number found under the battery of your phone

****WARNING: As far as my Samsung Edge was concerned, it reverted BACK to Kitkat 4.4.4, but I was never thrilled with Lollipop 5.0, and it successfully resolved my forwarding call issue & network SIM error****

****2nd WARNING: This will initiate a complete reset of your phone. Make sure to back it up before performing this process****

Good luck!!!!

DMarie04

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site

Are you all on AT&T? Might be a bug on their ROM or their network (again, Call Forwarding options are mostly read off the network, not the phone). I have a T-Mobile one and can set up Call Forwarding without issues.

I'm also on T Mobile & tried it to see if I had any problems, it worked just fine.

Posted By MY Next Big Thing, The Galaxy Note 4!

YourBuddy2

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Guys! Calm down. You don't need to flash your phone or return it. All features are available via GSM codes. Follow the instructions in the link below to setup all forwarding types. You do this from your phone. FYI - I have the same error but used these instructions successfully on my AT&T note 4:

GSM Feature Codes

dafuse

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem for a while, with two different SIM cards (work and personal). After multiple chats with AT&T second level tech support, they told me that Samsung had acknowledged the problem, and that the fix should be in Lollipop. It wasn't. I still have the issue. The one workaround that I have (I just tried it again, and it still works) is to restart the phone with WiFi off. Immediately after, I can read forwarding settings and also change them. Before restarting the phone, I would get the usual "Network or SIM card error". And BTW, the *72 method usually fails for me, unless I do this restart.

Hope this helps.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
To address the Network or SIM card error, you first have to roll back to 4.4.4 N910AUCU1ANIE, make sure call forwarding works after rolling back. Then take the N910ACU1COC4 OTA update. If you're still having Network or SIM card error, call AT&T Customer Care 1-800-331-0500 from your phone and wait till it prompts you to Technical Support. Have them re provisioned the IMEI/ICCID/SM-N910A on the network. Let us know your result.

Abogado Malakoff

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Glad to hear I am not alone on this issue.ATT told me to call Samsung --glad I came here 1st-replacing the phone will not do the trick replacing the SIM will not fix the problem....so when is the update designed to fix the glitch...wherever it lies.

jjdubs1

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
A big thank you to everyone who wrote about their travails with AT&T support. Clearly, they don't know what they are doing, and ended up being a big waste of time (that I got to skip, God bless you all!!!! :-D

NOTE: I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POSTS TO POST LINKS. GAH! Sorry!

It is NOT limited to the Samsung phones. I have an LG-G3, with AT&T, with the same problem. AND, I'm updated to Lollipop (5.0.1).

Sooooo, it's not Samsung's fault, and Lollipop hasn't fixed it in all cases :-/

In my case, I found out there was a problem when I tried to get Google Voice to work (for vm only, for my existing, AT&T number). Ironically, I've not had this problem in any of the previous 4 LG-G3 phones I've had while using Google Voice. (Yup. I'm on my 6th [dang] LG-G3, plus multiple factory resets and SIM card replacements.....)

I've meandered around various forums trying to figure out why I couldn't get Google Voice vm to work for me. One issue I have is that it tries to sign me in to the wrong gmail account. However, I've worked around that (don't remember how) and the phone indicates that the proper gmail account is associated with my Google Voice app.

My phone is set to GV for "Service" so it's not that. (Settings then Phone then Service then GV)

One of the workarounds mentioned (here and elsewhere) was to turn on Call Forwarding. Unfortunately, this is where I get the SIM card network error message. I also get error messages when trying to activate the GV number. I.e., when trying to send *004*15555555# through my keypad (where 555555 is in place of my GV phone number). Following the number given to deactivate likewise didn't work, and resulted in the same error.

I've not been able to figure out how to add time to before the built-in service answers the phone (to fix the SIM card error notice), as it didn't work due to the SIM card error. (I coulda had a cool lin.k here. Sorry!!!)

There was another solution (to the GV problem), which was to set the phone to have a delay in answering (in order to give GV enough time to answer, instead of the built-in vm). Alas, I still got the MMI error, so it didn't work for me.

I did, however, achieve success (though with a feature I'd NOT wanted), using the workaround of screening calls through GV. (Perhaps it serves the same function of the delay, i.e., answering the phone before the built-in one does??) Unfortunately, this means callers are told to give their name before I answer --not exactly client-friendly!

PS I also tried using codes mentioned in this thread, I think?, to give a delay in the phone automatically answering. However, I got the same [dang]MMI error code.

[It had to do w/61. Evidently I can't post that either.)

I hope this helps (at least a little!).

All the best

Kiserhardt

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I've had this problem for a while, with two different SIM cards (work and personal). After multiple chats with AT&T second level tech support, they told me that Samsung had acknowledged the problem, and that the fix should be in Lollipop. It wasn't. I still have the issue. The one workaround that I have (I just tried it again, and it still works) is to restart the phone with WiFi off. Immediately after, I can read forwarding settings and also change them. Before restarting the phone, I would get the usual "Network or SIM card error". And BTW, the *72 method usually fails for me, unless I do this restart.

Hope this helps.

THANX! You're a ROCK STAR! I restarted my LG G3 with WiFi off & I was able to get to my call forwarding settings & change them. Again, thank you SO much for the post!

Sherry Malinchak

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Okay, apparently I am now part of the "Note 4 nightmare club"! I recently bought another Note 4 (I still have the last one), because I was not happy with Galaxy's NEW release. I wanted to KEEP my SD card and my power to replace the battery whenever I needed. However that's another story. With that being said let me continue with the problem I am having.

I too am having the forward issue. 3 SIM cards later and a FACTORY REBOOT (all within 3 hrs), I still have the same problem?! This doesn't make sense, as my "other" Note 4 has the SAME software updates and it is the SAME phone.

Why is the newest one (14 days new) having this issue? I'm also noticing on this board that some of you have had this problem since earlier in the year. Any updates? Just FYI my other one I purchased Dec 2014. Which makes me wonder, if its something that happened in production this year? I just wanted to put it out there, as this is the ONLY difference between these two phones.

UPDATE: BOTH phones are doing the SAME thing NOW?! Grr....

AT&T tried everything and finally said that it is GOOGLE that is causing the problem with the software updates. Apparently they don't have update/fixes/patches enough, or don't care enough to put them out as often. I guess this is why some of you have been complaining since the beginning of the year.

Either way I am not happy with this at all. There's an entire section of my phone that I am not able to use and I do use it a lot.

It's not just with forwarding, its as soon as I hit "more settings". I get the Network or SIM card error. I've also noticed that "call waiting" is grey? It is not black like the rest of the settings within "more settings". You can't click it at all.

Error message when I try to **004* forward from the keypad is as follows. See all pics.

This is very frustrating and we NEED a fix ASAP! Especially if people are still waiting from earlier in the year?!New Phone Error 1.jpgError 2.jpgError 3.jpg

Last edited:

Jane Paul

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem.
My husband has the identical problem on his S5. Replaced the sim, still has the problem. On my S6, I get the first error, but when I ignore it and make changes, it takes them. When I use that sim in my MotoXPure, the forward that I set up on the S6 shows as disabled, and I get the sim error message if I try to change any others. At least the forwarding I set up does work properly.

Talked to ATT support. They have a bulletin on an interoperability issue with the enhanced LTE services and the newer android versions, especially but not exclusively Samsung. Turning off enhanced services on the phones did nothing so far as the forwarding issue. His answer was pretty much they are aware of it and someone, presumably will be addressing it in software updates in the future, but who knows how long. They can do something through customer support to forward calls, but there is no visibility. I don't know if this is an issue on other carriers or not.

Wish I had better news to report.

travellife

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Just tried what was suggested below with my 2 day old LG G3 but unfortunately it did not work, I'm still receiving the "network or sim card error". My previous phone was a LG Nitro which worked perfectly fine with YouMail. Looks like I'll not have it so easy with the new phone, which I really like so far other than this issue.

Originally Posted by dafuse View Post

Hope this helps.
THANX! You're a ROCK STAR! I restarted my LG G3 with WiFi off & I was able to get to my call forwarding settings & change them. Again, thank you SO much for the post!

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I have the samsung galaxy s6 on att and i have the same issue.. cant access forwarding call info in settings.. network or sim error.. cant get google voice or youmail to work.

In my case im with straight talk. Straight talk + att + youmail/forwarding has worked in the past on different phones.. straight talk gives you the run around saying it might work depending on phone, but they dont support conditional forwarding.. I'm wondering if there are any mods that can be done to the phone to allow access to the forwarding section.

cobraralph

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue. I have a Note 5 on Straight Talk (AT&T) phone and I can not access my more settings menu in my phone menu. It reads " Failed to read data; network or sim card error " I have been on the phone with tech support for youmail, straight talk samsung and at&t to no avail. What the heck is going on here? Anyone have any luck resolving this?

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue. I have a Note 5 on Straight Talk (AT&T) phone and I can not access my more settings menu in my phone menu. It reads " Failed to read data; network or sim card error " I have been on the phone with tech support for youmail, straight talk samsung and at&t to no avail. What the heck is going on here? Anyone have any luck resolving this?

No luck.. tried talking to their support twice.. in both cases same general answers.. they dont support conditional forwarding, if it worked in the past, we got lucky i guess. I get that same error on the more settings on the s6 active.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez