how can I tell if my Note 5 battery is in need of replacement?

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
how can I tell if my Note 5 battery is in need of replacement?

it's almost a year old and get fully charged(15% to 100%) at least once per day... (sometimes twice, due to heavy usage from being in the outdoor construction biz)

I know the battery must have less life after a year of use like this, but how can I tell how much life is left? is there an app that can analyze it within ballpark figures?

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
After a year of bringing it down to 15%, I'd guess it needs replacement, but the real answer is - does it seem to hold as much charge as when it was new. If not, it should be replaced.

A lithium battery should never be discharged to lower than 40%.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I got a fairly recent extended warranty replacement when before I was charging my phone three times a day. Hard use, but kept the phone clear of extraneous junk, brightness down to 35% and location turned on when necessary. The battery just degraded. The Note 5 is a fine phone... in the past I would just pop in a new factory battery and be on my way. Sealed batteries... You've got to press hard on Verizon to authorize a warranty replacement.

Last edited:

JohnnytheK

May 20, 2013
Visit site
After a year of bringing it down to 15%, I'd guess it needs replacement, but the real answer is - does it seem to hold as much charge as when it was new. If not, it should be replaced.

A lithium battery should never be discharged to lower than 40%.
Most people say no lower than 20%. I do agree that constantly letting your battery get down to 15% can't be good for it.

Jedi2155

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
This is incorrect. A lithium battery should not be discharged below 0% because the battery will start killing itself at that point.

There is nothing wrong with bringing it to 0 then charging it back up. The real issue is leaving the battery below 40% for long periods of time due to self discharge (i.e. the danger of allowing it to go below 0%). So if you dont plan on using it for a long time (storage or shipping) put it at 40%.

Lithium batteries actually have a huge problem with staying at 90 to 100% where they wear out much faster always trying to hold so much charge.

So the more you have it at 100% the faster it will wear out. You would get more life out of the pack by using it between 20 to 80%.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
This is to the posters who claim running your batteries under 40% is bad.

I'm an engineer in the DC power industry (ie: battery industry). This is 100% not true.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This is to the posters who claim running your batteries under 40% is bad.

I'm an engineer in the DC power industry (ie: battery industry). This is 100% not true.

I used to go to 40% and then charge. On the occasions I did go below 40%, the battery acted strangely, like sudden significant battery drain. Now I use it to 20-25% and it is better.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm confused. If it acted weird when you charged it below 40%, why do you now run it to 20-25% and it seems better?

In my real world usage, I charge to 100%, use the phone (according to GSam Pro, 26.7hr and 4hr38 min SOT average), then recharge when my phone is at 1-2%. It is nearing 1 year old and the battery has not given me an issue yet.

vivadog

Jan 22, 2018
Visit site
I have heavy used my note 5 in every veritable charge known. 3.5 years ,and no prob. Yet still about 90% capacity or more! Amazing battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssiinnoojjandriod