Do I need a Samsung account?

OWybPPgO

Geek Mom
Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you need a Samsung account for anything on the SGS3? Is it required for OTA updates or anything? The remote control stuff looks pretty cool, but I was wondering what else the account was used for.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
That may be a requirement for an unlocked unbranded phone because Samsung owns the update process but for branded US phones software goes through carrier debugging after the OEM is done and the carrier ultimately approves the push. I've never heard a carrier locked phone requiring any OEM registration. There are cases like moto who does pre- release user testing or soak tests which are provided directly by moto to users so you need to register with Motorola to participate, but that's pre-release software and not approved as carrier OTA.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
That may be a requirement for an unlocked unbranded phone because Samsung owns the update process but for branded US phones software goes through carrier debugging after the OEM is done and the carrier ultimately approves the push. I've never heard a carrier locked phone requiring any OEM registration. There are cases like moto who does pre- release user testing or soak tests which are provided directly by moto to users so you need to register with Motorola to participate, but that's pre-release software and not approved as carrier OTA.

I hope that's the case (not required) because I need another account like I need another hole in my head. I'm not looking to immerse myself into the Samsung culture, I just picked it because it looked like the best overall hardware package available to me. My last phone was a Motorola, who knows what my next phone will be. Well, I know it won't be Apple... see the aforementioned "forcing company culture" thing.

Reactions: bigdaddytee

bobzrag

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
find my mobile is enough for me to sign up, i've had a couple friends who have lately had their pads stolen and are now dealing with the aftermath

....KSmithInNY, it's just one more, i'm sure like all of us you already have a bizillion accounts for different sites/services!

Reactions: habanero61

hunnytree

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got my SGS3 and in the pull down menu it asks me to 'sign up' for a Samsung acct.....so I'm reading the terms and conditions....and all and any legal issues are under the jurisdiction of the Republic of Korea. 'Nuff said.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
signing upto samsung account was just part of the phone activating process along side putting my gmail details

find my mobile is enough for me to sign up, i've had a couple friends who have lately had their pads stolen and are now dealing with the aftermath

....KSmithInNY, it's just one more, i'm sure like all of us you already have a bizillion accounts for different sites/services!

do you have a link for that samsung site to control your s3 from mate? i thought i had it b/marked on fiances laptop but no.
cheers

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot bullfrog ... May your lakes be cool and your logs long ... ( ha ha long log )

lmfao mine touch the water and get half way round the U-bend before they break off :thumbup:

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I hope that's the case (not required) because I need another account like I need another hole in my head. I'm not looking to immerse myself into the Samsung culture, I just picked it because it looked like the best overall hardware package available to me. My last phone was a Motorola, who knows what my next phone will be. Well, I know it won't be Apple... see the aforementioned "forcing company culture" thing.

im also NOT a samsung fanboy and if its not needed for ota and u dont wana use the "more services" app then why bother. gota say though, samsung havent pestered me other than the "samsung account" update and i use same password for nearly everything so its no biggy for me :)

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
im also NOT a samsung fanboy and if its not needed for ota and u dont wana use the "more services" app then why bother. gota say though, samsung havent pestered me other than the "samsung account" update and i use same password for nearly everything so its no biggy for me :)

I would think an alternative route is available. I find it hard to believe that OP couldn't easily find the update.zip from a reliable third party. I'd rather flash a stock update than take an OTA + have my inbox cluttered with Samsung's must-read newsletters, but I like to be left alone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I would think an alternative route is available. I find it hard to believe that OP couldn't easily find the update.zip from a reliable third party. I'd rather flash a stock update than take an OTA + have my inbox cluttered with Samsung's must-read newsletters, but I like to be left alone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

lol your Gmail inbox? i havent had any. il check my spambox later :)

ps. OP you can download AndroidLost app to remote control your phone :)

pitzerwm

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I haven't agreed to anything and I used their "system" to "find" my phone. So I don't think that is part of an account. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I might have agreed to crap on their site, while I was trying to register my phone.

In another post, I mentioned that if you buy a phone outside the US and live in the US good luck. There is no place to register it. I bought mine out of PR and apparently Latin America doesn't register the products.