Galaxy S4 camera failed! Please help!

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
So I went to use my camera today and a black screen popped up and then seconds after a warning box appeared and said camera failed! I did a soft boot and factory reset and nothing will fix it! I'm over my 15 day trial period so I can't take it back. Anyone else experience this or have possible fixes?!?!
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1374119993678.jpg
    1374119993678.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited by a moderator:

thekC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s4 camera failed! Please help!

I did a search and found quite a few people dealing with this. (I don't know if I'm allowed to post links to other forums, so I won't).

Some are sure the issue is something called the Camera Module, and are buying replacements for about $20 on ebay. Others have said they power their phone down and leaving it off for 15 minutes, restarting, and are having success with the camera working again. Others are saying they are rebooting 5x and having success that way.

Do a web search "galaxy s4 camera failed" and you'll see the conversations I'm speaking of. Good luck.

CrzyP

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

I just got my SGS4 yesterday and everything was working fine. Today I'm having the same problem as you. I'm going to exchange mine tomorrow if this keeps up.

str8bucs

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

That's crazy.... Good luck with getting it fixed

Posted via Android Central App

Prosty

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

Happened to me, but I just restart the phone and it fixed

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy SIV using Tapatalk 4

Android_S4

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Exchanging the camera Module worked for you? Im facing the same issue, tried every single possible way to solve it. My cellphone is rooted tho. I did a kernel root via Odin

Melissa Carolissen

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

When I want to use my camera it switches to the camera app, but then a black screen shows & my phone reboots altogether.
I've tried the software update, no solution. I've reset to factory settings...to no avail.
It's the most annoying thing EVER. Only on my second attempt of using the camera (after my phone has rebooted) does the camera actually work.

I've asked Samsung SA on twitter, & I haven't received any feedback.

raviprakashd

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

This is mostly due to a connector getting loose if your handset was dropped etc.Try opening the back case and gently press the area in and around the camera.

Anuj Vohra

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

I got it fixed by following these steps:

1. Connect your device to your laptop using data cable
2. Go to folder: Computer\SAMSUNG-SGH-I747\Phone\Applidium Image Cache
3. Delete everything in this folder
4. Go to folder: Computer\SAMSUNG-SGH-I747\Phone\Android\data\com.sec.android.gallery3d\cache
5. Delete everything in this folder
6. Restart your phone
7. Camera works :)

Vince Balassone

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

I found the second file, but I don't have the first. deleted the second one and camera still doesn't work after restart.

breezatl

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

Thanks theKC after trying several things, to fix my camera issue like clearing cache, removing apps, clearing data. As a last result I did NOT want to do a full restore or a full repair with Samsung app. I restarted 5X as you suggested and that fixed my camera. My phone is less than a year old, although refurb, the camera issue didn't start until JB 4.3 Verizon update then the issue just randomly appeared. Your suggestion resolved my issue. 5X in a row restart without touching or any apps or anything just 5X restarts in a row and it worked!:cool:

Emmanuel Ademo

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi I had the same issue and I kept restarting and it didn't work. But what fixed it for me was an app called clean master I just pressed the broom button on the widget( to close all apps and restart them) and my camera worked and evern since then till now thats what I do and i dont have any problems. Try it I am very confident it would work

sarahdubois77

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm having similar troubles, with some exceptions. The camera doesn't work as an independent app, but when I'm in FB I can use it to add a photo to my timeline, but it won't work in a PM. I can use it on another app called VarageSale to take photos, but in text messages it doesn't work.
I have restarted, soft reset, cleared camera cache and date, removed the SD card. Occasionally one of these will work, but then I attempt to turn 'selfie' or frame in frame on, and 'camera fail' again. SO FRUSTRATING

Ty Knotts

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
screenshot_0405164146.png
screenshot_0405164236.pngI have tried everything minus replaceing the camera module. I dont really feel like doing that yet unless there is some solution out there. This is cra* this is a brand new phone. Only had for 2 weeks and the camera went out last week. Help!

sanyka78

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Had similar problem on my S3. What helped to get my camera back was enabling stock paper artist app, which I disabled in settings earlier due to its unimportance to me. Check if some apps you disabled if any, that camera may rely on.