S4--SMS Notifications Don't Work--Help!

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a Verizon S4--actually my second one due to a charger issue--and I have had this problem with both. The notifications don't sound when I get a text message. I have checked all settings (I am not new to Android or Samsung phones). If I restart my phone, the notifications work again--vibrate & sound. But after a day or two, the sounds stop playing again--only the vibrate works when I get a text message.

I am using a ring scheduler to silence my phone during work hours--I have tried two different ring scheduler apps with the same problem. For the first day or two after a reboot with the scheduler turned on, it works fine. But then stops working. All other notification sounds work fine with the scheduler and don't have this problem. However, if I uninstall these apps it doesn't have this issue. It leads me to believe that the ring schedulers are causing this issue, but they are so handy! Does anyone use one and not have this problem? If so, which one and I will try that one?

I have also tried a fast reboot app but it doesn't work. I have to do a full restart to make the sounds start working again.

Any ideas?? Please help!

Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It seriously sounds like your ring schedule apps. I'd email the developers and report the bug as that's what it seems to be.. Especially once you uninstall those apps it doesn't happen anymore. It seems the app isn't un-silencing your phone like it should.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
You can always use the pre-installed setting 'blocking mode' & set the time rather than using a third party applications.

msugrad598

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem using a ring scheduler. Once I uninstalled the ring scheduler the notifications worked again.

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
You can always use the pre-installed setting 'blocking mode' & set the time rather than using a third party applications.
Unfortunately, I have the Verizon version. From what I understand, they have blocked this feature on their version of the S4. Infuriating!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
That's funny they "blocked" blocking mode LOL. If that's true (which makes no sense) it's totally time to switch carriers ...

For reasons that no one can seem to fathom or explain, Verizon has been removing Blocking Mode since the GS3...Not sure why. I don't know if this alone would cause me to switch carriers (though Verizon does enough other stuff you could pile on to this), but it is annoying.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Just one question: You don't have the capability of putting the phone on vibration or silence during working hours ? without needing a third party app ?

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Just one question: You don't have the capability of putting the phone on vibration or silence during working hours ? without needing a third party app ?
That is correct. That feature/option doesn't show up on the Verizon S4 at all. It is crazy stupid.

Unfortunately, where I live Verizon is the fastest and most reliable--there really is no other option.

dakhath

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
That is correct. That feature/option doesn't show up on the Verizon S4 at all. It is crazy stupid.

So your telling me that this button is missing on the Verizon variant of the S4?
We really could use a list of all the variations between models. The more I read the more crippled the Verizon model becomes.

P212Qw2iHXrNDJLsZuD7VJRnZOUsNEWBpTXtO5Wdk58

robertdownie

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Can you tell me if the notification sounds work on the galaxy s4. I get no sound at all when I get an e-mail, but it sounds when I get a text. I think there is something wrong with the phone and I'm thinking about send it back as I've only had ot 8 days. I also think its very slow loading pages on the Internet .:(

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Can you tell me if the notification sounds work on the galaxy s4. I get no sound at all when I get an e-mail, but it sounds when I get a text. I think there is something wrong with the phone and I'm thinking about send it back as I've only had ot 8 days. I also think its very slow loading pages on the Internet .:(
This is the only problem I have. And it seems to be caused by the 3rd party ring schedulers that I have been using. All other notifications work for me just fine. Also, mine is pretty quick--doesn't lag at all on the internet (4g or wifi).

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
So your telling me that this button is missing on the Verizon variant of the S4?
We really could use a list of all the variations between models. The more I read the more crippled the Verizon model becomes.
That is correct. This option is missing completely on the Verizon S4. I would love to see a complete list of variations.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g1303bk