Google maps location battery

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
So I know this has been covered before but I just wanted to give my results. I've had some serious battery drain going on for over a month now. I've isolated it to the Google maps location services. With this active all the time I would barely get 12 hours with 2 hours of screen time. By turning that off every time I stop using navigation, I get over 24 hours and about 4 hours screen time. Basically doubling my battery. It just sucked to have to turn it on and off every time I use the navigation.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy ? S4 via Tapatalk 4

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, Google Maps and other Google apps/services that use or report location will really suck up the battery. You'd think that since it's their operating system they'd do a better job of controlling their power-draining apps. I keep Location Services turned off in settings and disable "Access Location" in the Location section of the Google Settings app, and Google Services stops draining the battery. I'd guess that the majority of people reporting crazy battery drains overnight are suffering from Google "features" like these.

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I keep seeing threads where people have to turn off Google services among other things to get some life out of their phone. I must have a mutant battery. I leave "everything" on and still get 18-36 hours of battery. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, S-Bean, NFC, Sync (9 various accounts), Air Gestures, Air View, Location by GPS, Location by Wi-Fi/Cell Tower, 70+ Screen brightness at all times, gaming, web surfing, and GPS driving. What am I doing differently!? :confused:

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I've had problems with location services using lots of battery in the past, but the most recent updates from Google seemed to have fixed that. I now lose about 2% per hour while idle with all Google Now cards enabled and all of the location services enabled.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I keep seeing threads where people have to turn off Google services among other things to get some life out of their phone. I must have a mutant battery. I leave "everything" on and still get 18-36 hours of battery. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, S-Bean, NFC, Sync (9 various accounts), Air Gestures, Air View, Location by GPS, Location by Wi-Fi/Cell Tower, 70+ Screen brightness at all times, gaming, web surfing, and GPS driving. What am I doing differently!? :confused:

I think you're like the 110 year old who attributed reaching that age to eating lots of bacon, heavy drinking, etc. ;)

steviecapt

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
ive found exactly the same problems with every smart phone ive owned, these features sound great on paper, and when you first get your new phone they seem great, but after a few days you soon notice that by leaving these features turned on your phone wont probably last a day, its a trade off, you either charge your phone every day, or start turning these features off when there not needed, google store and location are the worse culprits, i think its better to turn things off n on when need, it only takes a second, obviously this depends on how much you use these features

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non