How do I turn off screen overlays?

Kathy Campanelli

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Screen overlays == How do I turn them off. Help!!!

I have so edge and am also having overlay issues. I've never had clean master in my phone. I was not able to view pdf docs using Hancom emailed to me so installed Google pdf as a work around. I can't use any apps I download that want to use my current location like weather or Uber. I've been searching on all the online forums and nothing. I've tried turning developer options on and off and I uninstalled avast mobile cleanup just in case.
I guess I'll have to go to see the Samsung people at best buy to get this issue solved. What a pain in the rear!

kmlc33

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Dear Amit. I followed your advice and I ended up deleting all my CM apps. That fixed everything. I cannot believe the solution was so easy. Thank you so much for sharing and ultimately helping a lot people. I hope everyone follows your advice. Again, thank you so much.

Margot Gevaert

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site

Hello,
This overlay problem happen to me also after updating my phone to android 6.0. However I resolved this issue. Follow these steps to solve.
1. Goto settings
2. Applications->advanced->draw over other apps
3. Then what you have to do is.. in some mobiles there is an option when u click on below or the top corner list. That option is 'open system processes'.
4. Select that , now disable the overlay for all the apps shown.
5. Now goto whatsapp or which application that asked for turn off overlay.

Now u can enable the storage,camera,contacts and all.

And onemore thing after giving permissions for your app. Come back to the overlay window and enable all the necessary apps ..remember one thing now dont click on the reset option... if u do that again u have to follow from beginning.
If u find it useful please let me know.
Thanq

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've been trying to fix my phone literally all day long and this was the only thing that actually worked for my oneplus 2 out of all the things I read online!

Sylvain Louvet

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
With my new G7 I uninstalled FB messenger and that helped. BUT when I reinstalled it I have again problems (and no cl or developer tricks helped).

I am wondering if by transferring my apps from one phone to the other by special cable if that is the problem. Do i need to uninstall FB and more and then re install fresh copies? ...

Fallen_angel3511

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site

thank you, this was my same predicament, however finally finding the developer options and turning them off, overlays are still being detected...completely lost now

definitely turn off and uninstall any app killer or booster you may have downloaded. Android is now made with a built in safe software..
Hope this helps. Hope you have the problem fixed. I was just barely able to figure mine out. I had the du battery booster. Uninstalled, restarted my phone and all my application permissions are now accessible. Good luck

Cinsity

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I uninstalled the DU Battery Saver and DU Speed Booster & Cleaner apps and rebooted my phone and it worked. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6.

Jzman

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site

This is exactly how it goes to fix screen overlay on my s6. After you find developer options you will find the on/off toggle for screen overlay. Turn off overlay and don't forget to turn off developer options before you leave the screen. Hope it helps. Thanks Mike.

Von Vitto

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I had to uninstall DU booster. Any app you use to save energy, speed up your phone or clean trash will cause you to keep getting that message although you turned off over lay on apps in settings.

Ois Saudila

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site

After the LG G4 update on Friday I had this issue with several apps. I spent 3 hours at the verizon store today luckily with a very patient person. He finally found that the clean master app was the problem. After hours of trying to fix it and being on the phone with several different customer support people he saw the clean master and said I bet this caused a virus. He deleted it and sure enough, my pictures, calendar and mail were working correctly. They were not opening and saying that I hate overlays being detected. I would try and fix it and it would just keep looping back to the overlay detected screen. If you have a cleaning app delete it, restart your phone and see if everything works again.

Great...
I had same problem with my note 5.
Uninstal clean master.. everything work again..
Thanks a lot

anthoniegw

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site

Go to Settings/General/Apps
Click Options button upper right-hand corner
Click Configure Apps
Under Advanced
Select "Draw over othey apps"
Click Option button again and select Show System.
Proceed to turn off "Permit drawing of other Apps"

Doin this I haven't had another issue with the Screen overlay.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Monk123

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I was having trouble pairing my Gear S2 Classic Watch to my new Note 7. The screen overlay error prevented me from pairing the Watch.
I turned on the Developer Options (see instructions below), restarted the phone and it problem solved. Screenshot_20160826-100341.jpg .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sexton1 View Post
I had the same thing happen....however when i went to look for Developer Options it was no where to be found....Finally I found an article telling me how..../////.settings....more......about device......build number.....tap 7 times.....turn off developer options........overlays disappeared.....only took me about 4 hours for find this solution.....good luck

cyndiet71

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site

Hi! I went in to the MetroPCS store.....told them I was having this screen overlay issue. The girl gave me a number to call. So I called it. The man told me a had a hacker and/or a virus in my gmail account, my phone is not the problem he said. And he wanted $100 to fix it!
I didn't pay.

What I did was a factory reset on my phone.
On my laptop I went on my google account and completely removed my gmail account from the Google . You have to replace it with an email that is not gmail, so I made a new hotmIl account. This is important if you want to save your contacts and calendar.
So now I am no longer using that "infected" gmail account. I use the new hotmail acct to sign in to the Google account.

Back to the phone.....factory reset. Then when restarting, use your different email to log in and set it as a new device....DO NOT use a previous back up!
Yes you'll have to reinstall all your apps.

Then I also discovered an update in the system/program part on the phone, some kind of compatibility patch. I downloaded it and got that stupid overlay message again......
Back to square one.
Reset to factory again.
This time I did not download that patch.
So far (knock on wood) my phone is working and I'm not getting the screen overlay message.

Let me know if this helps you

Last edited:

cyndiet71

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site

Also....I tried most of the stuff everyone else posted. I didn't have clean master on my phone. And I did find the devoloper part but that didn't fix it. None of the above stuff fixed it.
I have an LG G Stylio 1 , phone is 6 mos old. My carrier is MetroPCS

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

You guys might want to use your Samsung Plus app and contact Samsung Plus. You must use the video chat, you don't have to turn on your camera. Using the video chat is the only way to get to this department, that phone number in the app won't work. They are not 800 Samsung. This is a new, specialized customer support department.