did upgrade on my Samsung Glaaxy 5S and now 4G stays lit even though I'm connected to WIFI

samsung377

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Before I did the recent update whenever I was linked to WIFI the 4G would not be lit anymore but when I went off WIFI it became lit again. Now it is on all of the time. I have called verizon tech support and she told me to turn my mobile data off each time and that just can't be correct. I also went into a verizon store and spoke with them directly and that rep said because of the upgrade my 4G will always be lit and as long as my wifi says connected to a network I am not using data. My question is how will I know for sure if I am really pulling off wifi or actually using my mobile data and being charged? I am not tech savy , I am trying to learn, verizon was of no help, thought maybe a samsung message board might be able to help. any advice? thanks in advance

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It will pull from Wifi. It just stays on because of voLTE. Usually the arrows will light up when pulling data from a connection so you can always look at that. I wouldn't worry about it though.

Sent from my XPS 12-9Q33 using Tapatalk

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
The Verizon employee is correct. Both my fiance's and my S5s keep the 4G logo lit even when connected to wi-fi. You have to look at the 4G logo and you will see that neither the upload or download arrows are being lit up when connected to wi-fi. You can also check your data usage or install the Verizon data usage widget and monitor it. I downloaded a 2GB file off of my cloud storage last night via wi-fi and my current data usage shows as being only 120MB so I know it used the wi-fi network I was connected to and not 4G despite the 4G logo being lit up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87