Lollipop/Does the Good Out Weigh the Bad?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
All the people complaining about the update odds are didn't do no type of factory reset.

Sent from my T-Mobile Nexus 4 LTE using Tapatalk

You're probably at least somewhat right. I know that makes a big difference
but I'm still in no hurry to upgrade (or have to do a FR :-\ )

wellsmanfu

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I updated and was having some issues. I cleared the system cache and that fixed all but the battery life. The battery life has improved some, but it's not as good as it was pre-update.

I've done everything except a hard reset. If the battery doesn't show more improvement soon I'll try that next. I wish we would have gotten 5.0.1 instead of 5.0 because it's supposed to have some bug fixes in it.

Posted via Android Central App

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and I love the update. The problem probably is that these people need to factory reset. I had overheating problems at first. I reset and now it runs amazingly. Battery life has also been great since updating.

What data is lost in a FR? I haven't gotten Lollipop yet, but I really would prefer not to have to set up my phone all over again. That's a lot of work.

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Everything except the OS is deleted from the phone. It will not delete anything stored on your SD card. I do however recommend taking it out prior to a FR just to be safe. You will have to download and set up all of your apps again.

Posted via the Android Central App

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
And unless you have a slow connection or on a limited plan it's not hard.

The problem is not downloading apps; it is reconfiguring everything--widgets, calendars, wallpaper, app folders, logging back into everything, etc. Is it the end of the world? No. Done it before. But it is a PITA and a fair bit of time when all is said an done. I have my phone right where I want it, with all of my personalized tweaks and everything in its place. Which is to say, FR's not a route I want to take if I don't have to.

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
The problem not downloading apps it is reconfiguring everything--widgets, calendars, wallpaper, app folders, logging back into everything, etc. Is it the end of the world? No. Done it before. But it is a PITA and a fair bit of time when all is said an done. Which is to say, that's not a route I want to take if I don't have to.
I personally love it. Gives me a chance to change stuff around I might wouldn't have otherwise. Plus I feel it gives the phone a fresh start and helps it preform better.

PamelaMichel

May 31, 2012
Visit site
At first I loved it. Was so excited to get the new update, especially when I heard Verizon was getting it first along with Sprint, I see now, on this thread. First few days I played with all the new animations, went through all my settings just looking around at the new ways to set up, for example, the lock screen.... THEN I NOTICE A HUGE DROP IN MY BATTERY LIFE. I'm sorry to scream, but I had finally found a phone that I didn't have to charge or change out my battery 3x a day! I had the GS3 before and if you all had it, you know the battery issues, but I kept it because I loved that phone so much I didn't mind changing the battery. Eventually, I would finally let go and made the big jump to the S5 and I was ELATED at the battery life! No more charging in mid day or changing out battery mid day, I had the extra Samsung battery with charger that I kept with me religiously and when I got the S5 for my bday in September, I thought why not? I'm not sure how well this battery is so I got the S5 battery charger and xtra battery as well, THANK GOD I DID NOW!
Yesterday was the worst day since the update when I had to change it out 3X by 9:00pm, since having it on at around 8-9am that morning. I'm also thankful that these chargers do a very fast job getting the battery back to 100%.
It's such a shame when the most anticipated update in the history of Android/Google updates comes out and it tanks due to battery drain. The way I use my Galaxy did not change one bit since getting the update so, it's not that I text for hours or go on Social Media for hours or Online for hours, or get all these notifications that we all know drains the battery. I learned that lesson with my S3.
I LOVE ANDROID AND WOULD NEVER SELL MY SOUL FOR ANYTHING APPLE, but for goodness sakes, they've known how to keep a battery going for days n days since the beginning of the Smartphone! How many years ago.... 13-15?? 😠
Yes I'm aggravated and frustrated and that took away all my bragging rights to! 😂
Oh well, maybe next time with the next update.... It's a shame a darn shame. Other than that, meh.... That really ruined it for me. 😔

🌟Almost forgot, does the good outweigh the bad?🌟

Nope. Not for me. I got so sick of changing my battery on my S3, that's why I went to S5 I may leave Samsung if they cannot fix it, but I will NEVER go to Apple. So I guess in that one HUGE WAY, for me the good does outweigh the BAD. 😨

❤"Imma Google Girl in a Google World!"❤

claudeburdel

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I updated and have had no real problems. I did have to turn off the auto-dim feature because it makes it too dim. The next day after installing the update I downloaded a launcher, and suddenly the battery was draining very quickly. I uninstalled the launcher and cleared the cache, and now the battery life is great like it always was. I never did a factory reset.

I'm not that fond of the white background of the clock app. I do like the system-wide animations. The stock Samsung messaging app lets you change the background color, so I changed mine to black.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
At first I loved it. Was so excited to get the new update, especially when I heard Verizon was getting it first along with Sprint, I see now, on this thread. First few days I played with all the new animations, went through all my settings just looking around at the new ways to set up, for example, the lock screen.... THEN I NOTICE A HUGE DROP IN MY BATTERY LIFE. I'm sorry to scream, but I had finally found a phone that I didn't have to charge or change out my battery 3x a day! I had the GS3 before and if you all had it, you know the battery issues, but I kept it because I loved that phone so much I didn't mind changing the battery. Eventually, I would finally let go and made the big jump to the S5 and I was ELATED at the battery life! No more charging in mid day or changing out battery mid day, I had the extra Samsung battery with charger that I kept with me religiously and when I got the S5 for my bday in September, I thought why not? I'm not sure how well this battery is so I got the S5 battery charger and xtra battery as well, THANK GOD I DID NOW!
Yesterday was the worst day since the update when I had to change it out 3X by 9:00pm, since having it on at around 8-9am that morning. I'm also thankful that these chargers do a very fast job getting the battery back to 100%.
It's such a shame when the most anticipated update in the history of Android/Google updates comes out and it tanks due to battery drain. The way I use my Galaxy did not change one bit since getting the update so, it's not that I text for hours or go on Social Media for hours or Online for hours, or get all these notifications that we all know drains the battery. I learned that lesson with my S3.
I LOVE ANDROID AND WOULD NEVER SELL MY SOUL FOR ANYTHING APPLE, but for goodness sakes, they've known how to keep a battery going for days n days since the beginning of the Smartphone! How many years ago.... 13-15?? ??????
Yes I'm aggravated and frustrated and that took away all my bragging rights to! ??????
Oh well, maybe next time with the next update.... It's a shame a darn shame. Other than that, meh.... That really ruined it for me.
#SADNESS

"Imma Google Girl in a Google World!"

Did you do a factory reset?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope... I shouldn't have to... NOT GONNA DO IT! ??????

I don't blame you for not wanting to do it. That's one reason I'm not updating. You're right, you shouldn't HAVE to do a FR, but, it's most likely going to be what it takes to fix
the issues you're having. I asked the guy right above your post if he did a factory reset. He's very pleased with the Lollipop performance. It'll be interesting to see his answer.

PamelaMichel

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I updated and have had no real problems. I did have to turn off the auto-dim feature because it makes it too dim. The next day after installing the update I downloaded a launcher, and suddenly the battery was draining very quickly. I uninstalled the launcher and cleared the cache, and now the battery life is great like it always was. I never did a factory reset..

I wonder if I go thru and clean out some apps that, okay, I don't reeeally need that bad, like ALL the Clean Master apps, too many security apps, Avast, plus Avast Back up, etc.. If that might help? I use Touch Wiz, so no launchers. I guess I will just have to play around with it more, which will def drain battery... Ohhhh it's "I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't"!!
Thanks for idea tho😊

PamelaMichel

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Monicam,
I didn't mean to yell, truly. I had no idea that I would be getting Lollipop so soon! I was shocked when I saw online, looking for something else about my Galaxy, that it was going out, and I immediately went to updates, and there it was! We were with T-MO for 14 years, or however long cell phones have been out, and I never got an update so fast! Anyway, I 'FR'd a lot when with T-Mobile due to area we live, etc, lots of reasons, but I know I'll have to set up EVERYTHING all over again and will I have to do the update again? In some strange way since I already got it OTA?
I see you do understand (thanks for that, btw) and I will keep watching this thread for that guy too. ☺ So much peace to ya! 😊

alkezi

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Monicam,
I didn't mean to yell, truly. I had no idea that I would be getting Lollipop so soon! I was shocked when I saw online, looking for something else about my Galaxy, that it was going out, and I immediately went to updates, and there it was! We were with T-MO for 14 years, or however long cell phones have been out, and I never got an update so fast! Anyway, I 'FR'd a lot when with T-Mobile due to area we live, etc, lots of reasons, but I know I'll have to set up EVERYTHING all over again and will I have to do the update again? In some strange way since I already got it OTA?
I see you do understand (thanks for that, btw) and I will keep watching this thread for that guy too. ☺ So much peace to ya! 😊

Well... It seems like I am very lucky. After upgrading to lollipop, my verizon s5 battery life improved and the performance seems to be snappier too.

Posted via the Android Central App

AG212

May 26, 2010
Visit site
After a few days it seems battery life isn't really better or worse than before, but I'm still planning on doing a reset as there's a fair bit of lag in places I would rather not have it and see if it fixes it.

Overall does seem pretty nice though.

Posted via Android Central App

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm not on Verizon and I HAVE done a factory reset, battery life is worse than on Kitkat, especially noticed a reduction in screentime. Its cack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Anthony