Samsung Micro SD - EVO vs PRO (reliability)

Mark 42

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Galaxy S5 Active, now I'm looking for an SD Card.
I intend to buy a Samsung brand in 64 or 128gb
I've had too many problems with Sandisk 32gb cards in my S2 Skyrocket
(and I bought the fastest/best available at that time)

I see 3 different 64gb Samsung SDXC cards:
EVO, PRO and UHS-1

Is one any more reliable than the others, or is it purely a matter of speed?
Is the UHS-1 the same as one of the other two?
I didn't see the 128gb Samsung except in the EVO - anyone know why?
Apparently they may be announcing the 128gb PRO Plus in the future:
Samsung PRO Plus MicroSD Memory Card Review | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The Pro is about twice as fast as the EVO in burst speed. UHS1 is Class 10 (different systems of designating the card speed.)

Mark 42

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Is the slower (EVO) one likely to be more reliable?
I care more about reliability than speed - I'll use it mainly to archive photos & video
and to store my music. I'll probably move some apps I don't care too much about
onto SD storage as well.

I don't intend to have my camera write directly to SD.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I think you would be fine with either. I personally have a Pro one and it has been problem free since launch.

Posted via the Android Central App

fabri866

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,
I bought a Samsung 64 Gb SDXC EVO card to use with my Galaxy S5 (G900F) but the card is not detected by the phone, I checked the net for solutions and tried the Fat32 format to no result, as of today I must have spend at least 6 hours trying to get the card to be detected by the phone and haven't succeeded in it :(

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting the S7 edge on Monday, and I too am confused about the EVO+ and the PRO. I just want it to be compatible, I don't care about speeds. So the EVO will be compatible right? It's a 32 GB I'm getting on sale for $13.

Posted via the Android Central App

Chris Hunkeler

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Motorola Moto G4 takes 128 GB max. I bought a 64 GB EVO+ and when I tried to change the card from portable to internal storage, the phone warned that the card was too slow, apps may stutter and data transfers may take a long time. Motorola's advice was to upgrade to a UHS-1 card first. I plan to upgrade to the fastest highest grade card to avoid future compatibility issues.

ePHOTOzine has an excellent table listing the different speed class and UHS speed class designations, read/write speeds and storage capacity in article Samsung PRO+ EVO+ MicroSD Memory Card Review.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty