I can't deregister my fingerprint on my Galaxy S5

Diana Rincon

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to deregister my fingerprint because the interface is so balky. (I have to swipe many times, and finally give up and use the password--way too much trouble!)

But the phone won't allow me to deregister. It says that "the fingerprint is currently set as the screen lock type for at least one of the following: Encrypt phone, Exchange Active Sync. Select another method and try again."

I have no idea what this is telling me to do.

Posted via the Android Central App

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Can't deregister fingerprint

try this:
go to settings>lock screen>screen lock>then press swipe.
after that,remove the fingerprint and then you can choose whichever kind of password you want

Posted via the Android Central App

CBS88

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

I'm having the same issue. I was playing around with the fingerprint option and now my phone will only open with that feature and does not allow me to get rid of my fingerprint setting. HELP! I DON'T LIKE IT!!

Marie H

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

This happened to me yesterday. Found the fix. Go to settings, click Security then scroll down to Clear Credentials click ok. Now go back to fingerprint and you can deregister.

Risteard

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

Thank you Marie H - this was driving me crazy. I tried all the help manuals - no help. Your fix was quick and easy - gave me back hours of my life.

randgmom

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site

Thank you so much! Going to Security and clearing the settings worked. I have been trying to get rid of that fingerprint option with no luck. You really helped me! :D

legcard

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

Yes, MarieH.!
Exactly!

It worked. Thank you. It's funny because I thought that it would be safer than plain swipe. Oh, it's safer, you can't get in without swiping 6 or 7 times until you just type the password. By that time, I have forgotten what I wanted the phone for/ Grrr. So many answers tell you to disable fingerprint but if it is still being used by who knows what, it needs the Clear Credentials. Thanks again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty