Wireless Charging Issues (S6 Edge + New Charger)

coreymcl

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my S6 Edge and Samsung Wireless Charging Pad. It seems to pause the charging and never start back up. Has anyone contacted Samsung yet? Due to the various wireless charging pads mentioned in this thread it seems to me that the phone may have a software issue preventing it from restarting the charging.

RN50

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my S6 Edge and Samsung Wireless Charging Pad. It seems to pause the charging and never start back up. Has anyone contacted Samsung yet? Due to the various wireless charging pads mentioned in this thread it seems to me that the phone may have a software issue preventing it from restarting the charging.

I think it's the Samsung charging pad that the problem. Its basically a rubbish wireless charger. You have to place it correctly for it to work which defeats to process of just placing it down. I know the Samsung wireless charger is.messed as my old Nokia wireless pass works flawlessly with my s6. I've ordered a different wireless charger as I don't like my yellow Nokia pad these days.

Posted via the Android Central App

chadever

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I have used 4 wireless chargers:

-Itian thee coil stand (Amazon $25)
-Yootech triangular single coil (Amazon #1 seller, $14)
-Samsung wireless charger (co-worker)
- Koolpad (co-worker)

The Itian stand is by far the best. Falls perfectly every time, takes up little desk space, and I can see/use my phone easily while charging.
Yootech is trash. Very difficult to use as you must line it up perfectly every time.
The Samsung charger is nice, but it's difficult to use while charging and can be hard to align.
The Koolpad is the 2nd best. It's not bad, the stand is just better.

I'm returning the Yootech and ordering a flat Itian charger for home.

Alan_in_NC

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I actually had this same exact problem, and wrote a rather nasty review for the charger that I'd purchased. Their tech folks responded almost immediately and told me that my wall adapter was underpowered - that the wireless coils required greater than then 0.7A or even 1.5A typically produced by older chargers. I thought they were just feeding me a line but, in the interest of being fair, pulled out the adapter that came with the Galaxy S6 and noticed immediately that it was labeled as being an "Adaptive Fast Charging" device with 1.67A at 9V, or a full 2.0A at 5V.

Using that adapter instead, the problems went away immediately. No more annoying "dings" each time the screen saver kicks in, no more charging all night long and only reaching 90%, etc.

Go grab the white wall adapter that came with your S6, and use it instead of whatever you're using right now. I think there is a good chance your problems will go away!

Adaptive Fast Charging.jpg

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

Wondering if any body else has been experiencing this and has come across a solution. When I put the S6 Edge on the charging pad (new one that came with the phone at Best Buy) it either works without issue 25% of the time, or the phone will say wireless charging paused after about 30 seconds and then the charging pad will flash 75% of the time. I am being sure to place the phone centered on the pad and on its back. Sometimes it will happen so many times in a row that I try unplugging the pad and restarting the phone and then it works, but I do not want to have to do this every time.

Your edge came with a charging pad??

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Are you plugging the wireless charger into a wall outlet or into a computer data port? Something I've noticed is that if I plug into a wall outlet I have uninterupted wireless charging and it charges very quickly. But if I charge off of my computer's data port it constantly drops the connection and charges very slowly. Even when I use a high voltage data port it charges quickly but constantly drops the connection.

Gene Soo

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Two weeks ago I bought into an S6 and the following charging pad from Best Buy. Samsung - Mini Qi Wireless Charging Pad - Black
Model: EP-PG900IBUSTA SKU: 7250019. I was noticing the same issue of charging to 100% and then the charging pad turns off. I contacted Sprint Support to see if they had any complaints and they also contacted my nearest local Sprint Store. No reports. I then asked for Samsung Customer Support phone number. They supplied 800-726-7864. I described the situation of charging to 100% and the phone sends a signal to the pad to turn off. The only way I was able to get it to resume charging was to lift the phone off the pad and replace it. After a brief offline research the rep came back and reported that it is working as designed and that this was due adhering to the Qi Wireless Charging Standard, I concluded the call by informing them that I would return the product and also requested to supply feedback to development, The feedback was that I thought this behavior of One-Time Charge was less than useful. That the lack of Phone control to turn the pad back on when the battery level fell below 100% or the pads ability to turn itself back on after some period of time was missing. I then contacted WPC(Wireless Power Consortium) a division of IEEE responsible for the Qi Standards. My issue was referred to a senior executive of that organization. He assured me that powering off the charging pad was not a part of the Qi Standards his organization puts out. I don't know whether Samsung can get this fixed by either pushing out a firmware change to their phones or whether an Android Change is necessary but I envision once word gets out about this behavior they are going to have a lot of this product sitting on their shelves. I will be seeking an alternative Charging Pad as documented by several of the other posters to this thread.

Richie McKillop

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I have a S6 withe the samsung wireless charger model EP-PG920I INPUT 5v~2A came with the phone on UK EE.
I use a thin cover and the phone seems to charge Ok. The only thing I don't like is that anytime U want to do sum thing with your phone after placing it on the charger you have to lift it off it says charging paused. Till you place the phone back on, would lifting and placing the phone like this not damage the battery in the long run.?
Another point when I place my phone on the charger over night it seems to charge but when I wake up the charging has stopped and my phone is at bout 96/97% is this coz the wireless pad cuts off at 100%?

shariefc

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with the Galaxy S6 and wireless charging. I found the problem to be a faulty charger. Used my older Galaxy s4 charger into the same wireless charging pad and it works 100%

cubit

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I found a workaround for mine... using a Sony CP-W5 and a S6 Edge.

Got to watching it, and the disconnect always happened when the screen lock engaged. I beat it by setting Daydream (under Settings, then Display and Wallpaper) to happen when charging (it was set to Off by default), so it no longer goes into screen lock when I engage the charger, it locks when I remove it from the charger.

Worked for me.
Toptip, for me anyway.
Beep been driving me mad. Just tried the above and it worked like a charm.
That said, after further checks, eliminated the problem completely by using the Samsung charger. My 3rd party wireless charger was plugged into laptop docking station. Sometimes i got the constant beeps, sometimes not. Correct power adapter resolved the problem.
Daydream still a useful option when no decent charger available - away from desk, nokia charger used in van whilst driving etc.

Last edited:

sheppard83

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Been having a similar problem with my S6 Edge and the official samsung round charger. I had the charger replaced but still having problems. The only way i have managed to get a full charge without the constant disconnections is to turn the phone off while charging. Not ideal i know but i put it on charge when i go to bed and its fully charged next morning. Hope its just a software glitch.

USVI-bum

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Worked for me...

I beat it by setting Daydream (under Settings, then Display and Wallpaper) to happen when charging (it was set to Off by default), so it no longer goes into screen lock when I engage the charger, it locks when I remove it from the charger.

mincers

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I beat it by setting Daydream. Daydream is located under Apps / settings / Display / daydream / more (top right) select when to daydream / both.
My charging pad is called spigen. I got it from eBay and all seems to be going well so far after I applied this fix. I plugged it into an old iPad plug.
I hope this helps

onav

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation. I tried placing a folded tissue paper between the S6E and the charging pad (Samsung EP-pg9201) and it works. The only problem now is the S6E may slip.

Bassbiker

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
OK, so I just got an S charger pad yesterday and I'm currently trying it out now. I have a Rokform case which has an earth magnet in it also. When I first put the phone on it charged up right away going from 62% to 89% fairly quickly. I took the phone off and then put it back on about 20 minutes later and this time I started getting the blinking amber light. Tried using some 1mm thick neoprene and some TPU as a buffer and no luck. Looks like this piece of garbage is going back to Best Buy. Definitely not worth the aggravation.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi, just got the samsung wireless charger. Question! Does the whole thing light up blue? the halo? I plugged it in my office and nothing lights up other than the front of it a little lights blue. but I can't see it as it lays flat on my desk! I see pics of the whole thing lighting blue and then green when fully charged! Is mine defective? please advise!