text message issues

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I switched to Android about a year ago from an iPhone. At 1st I was having issues with text messages due to the whole I message thing. About 6 weeks ago or so I started having issues sending & receiving text messages on my Galaxy S5. I would send my wife a picture & sometimes she would get it 4 days later, sometimes she would never get it. Friends would send texts to me & I would either never get it or get it days later (not always a picture). I upgraded to the S6, had some battery issues...finally got that resolved but now I'm having text message issues. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm wondering if it's a lollipop issue. I really like this phone but it really stinks not getting texts or not having people getting my texts.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I switched to Android about a year ago from an iPhone. At 1st I was having issues with text messages due to the whole I message thing. About 6 weeks ago or so I started having issues sending & receiving text messages on my Galaxy S5. I would send my wife a picture & sometimes she would get it 4 days later, sometimes she would never get it. Friends would send texts to me & I would either never get it or get it days later (not always a picture). I upgraded to the S6, had some battery issues...finally got that resolved but now I'm having text message issues. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm wondering if it's a lollipop issue. I really like this phone but it really stinks not getting texts or not having people getting my texts.

Call your provider and have them re provision it for you. Basically it's a network reset. You have to call from a different phone and it only takes a minute.

I had this happen a year ago or so and had them re provision it. All was good after that.

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Update...
I called AT&T to have them re provision my phone. Well, I was on the phone with them for about an hour and nothing was really resolved. First he was working on my S6 and said he couldn't find anything wrong. Then he started looking at my wifes iPhone 6 plus. I sent her a test picture and it never went through, he sent her phone 2 test pics and they didn't go through (she finally got them hours later). I have had issues today with not receiving text messages from friends so I know I something is wrong, just don't know what is going on. I started having issues on my S5 about 3 months ago, had issues on my first S6 (which was replaced yesterday due to a bad battery) and now this new S6...so it's not the phone. Very strange...today I was texting 2 friends of mine and could not see anything one of them was texting. Then I was texting with two other friends and I didn't get any of their texts. It's very random.
Is anyone else having issues like this?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Update...
I called AT&T to have them re provision my phone. Well, I was on the phone with them for about an hour and nothing was really resolved. First he was working on my S6 and said he couldn't find anything wrong. Then he started looking at my wifes iPhone 6 plus. I sent her a test picture and it never went through, he sent her phone 2 test pics and they didn't go through (she finally got them hours later). I have had issues today with not receiving text messages from friends so I know I something is wrong, just don't know what is going on. I started having issues on my S5 about 3 months ago, had issues on my first S6 (which was replaced yesterday due to a bad battery) and now this new S6...so it's not the phone. Very strange...today I was texting 2 friends of mine and could not see anything one of them was texting. Then I was texting with two other friends and I didn't get any of their texts. It's very random.
Is anyone else having issues like this?

Did they actually re provision your phone? I mean it should have only taken a few minutes at worst. When they provision, your phone will turn off and back on automatically. Did that happen? Because it sounds to me it's a network issue and all a provision does is reset the phone to the network. Are you in a fringe coverage area?

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the stock messaging app or something else's? I have seen this problem before using goss or hangouts but not with the stock app.

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies...
I am using the stock texting app now, about 2 weeks ago I was using Textra on my S5. As far as the Apple issues...yes, I finally worked though all that junk. Everything was working well until a few months ago (I was wondering if it was something to do with the lollipop update). Again, very frustrating. Sometimes people don't get my texts and sometimes I don't get theirs...now most of these issues are with iPhone users but I think that is because almost everyone I know has an iPhone.

No, he didn't re provision my phone...I told him what you said and he started looking at my account and trying other things. He ended up saying it maybe a network issue but that doesn't really make me feel any better. He opened up a case, not sure that will do any good either. We restarted the phone, went through some settings and found nothing out of the ordinary. At my house I have about 2 - 3 bars of 4G service. The thing is...sometimes this happens to me at work (service is fine there) and in March I was out of state for work and it happened there also. A co worker has a S5 active on AT&T and he is having the same issues. I'm far from a tech guy (and I seem to know more about this issue than the tech people and the folks at the AT&T store) but this is extremely frustrating. I simply want a phone that works...or a network that works.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I had problem before sending messages from my s5 to my mom and brother and they both had iphones. Called verizon and right away they new what it was. It was a simple setting in the iphones that needed to be changed not my phone. I'm sorry it's been a year and I can't remember what setting they had me change in the iphones but once we did it worked great. Kinda wierd. Might not have anything to do with your case but I thought I would just throw that out there. Hope you figure it out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

franky_402

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
On the imessage support site it mentions of your having problems with texting have the iphone user delete your previous thread and start a new one that should fix the issue

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
So...I just left the AT&T store. I went hoping they heard of this issue & could give me some guidance. Nope. I explained the situation, even showed him text strings I sent & received nothing back then got a screen shot where the people had sent over 10 texts I have never received. It also happened again while I was there. He changed out my SIM card & we went to ensure my phone # was deactivated on iMessage (which it was). So basically they just told me they know there is an issue but that's about it. Today is the last day I have to return the device. I want to keep it but I really need it to work correctly. It would be great if someone could tell me the problem & when it might be resolved.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
So...I just left the AT&T store. I went hoping they heard of this issue & could give me some guidance. Nope. I explained the situation, even showed him text strings I sent & received nothing back then got a screen shot where the people had sent over 10 texts I have never received. It also happened again while I was there. He changed out my SIM card & we went to ensure my phone # was deactivated on iMessage (which it was). So basically they just told me they know there is an issue but that's about it. Today is the last day I have to return the device. I want to keep it but I really need it to work correctly. It would be great if someone could tell me the problem & when it might be resolved.

If it was me and it was my last day to return the phone I would return it instead of taking a chance being stuck with a nonworking phone. I'm sure they will fix the problem but when.
That just my opinion .

Worst case you walk out the store and then walk back in and get another one and have another 14 days to decide.
I'm sure they will charge restocking fee but 35 dollars is cheap compared to being stuck with a phone that don't work right for you.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Thing is, the 14 days doesn't reset. So after today I'm stuck with what ever I choose, which ducks because they know it's not working right. Again, I do think think it's this device in particular but something is not right. Just since my last post I found out I completely missed out on a string from 3 family members. I got nothing from them.

dave0holla

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies...
I am using the stock texting app now, about 2 weeks ago I was using Textra on my S5. As far as the Apple issues...yes, I finally worked though all that junk. Everything was working well until a few months ago (I was wondering if it was something to do with the lollipop update). Again, very frustrating. Sometimes people don't get my texts and sometimes I don't get theirs...now most of these issues are with iPhone users but I think that is because almost everyone I know has an iPhone.

No, he didn't re provision my phone...I told him what you said and he started looking at my account and trying other things. He ended up saying it maybe a network issue but that doesn't really make me feel any better. He opened up a case, not sure that will do any good either. We restarted the phone, went through some settings and found nothing out of the ordinary. At my house I have about 2 - 3 bars of 4G service. The thing is...sometimes this happens to me at work (service is fine there) and in March I was out of state for work and it happened there also. A co worker has a S5 active on AT&T and he is having the same issues. I'm far from a tech guy (and I seem to know more about this issue than the tech people and the folks at the AT&T store) but this is extremely frustrating. I simply want a phone that works...or a network that works.

I also have been having a issue. Some text weren't going thru and I had some calls drop as well, notice the call dropping happens mostly in the car the text issue is a little irritating. It will say the the test didn't go through and was put in draft. I also notice that signal was going from 2 to 4 bars...not sure if it is a phone issue

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with calls. I am still having issues with my texts. I don't know what else to do. At the store they told me, don't worry they will fix it. But they don't even know what the problem is. I've been sending test texts and I'm still not receiving responses from people who have called & said they responded. I may give it another day before I go back to the store & demand a new phone.

Last edited:

Nick Raol

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I am having the similar issue with my new Galaxy6. Its so annoying and making me angry why i switched iphone to galaxy. I should have buy iphone 6. My text message is getting hang. I keep pressing the button and nothing happens. So annoying.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I am having the similar issue with my new Galaxy6. Its so annoying and making me angry why i switched iphone to galaxy. I should have buy iphone 6. My text message is getting hang. I keep pressing the button and nothing happens. So annoying.

Sorry but you are not specifically saying what is your issue other that you press "a button" and nothing happens, so you are hitting Send and it doesn't send?

It may be a lot of different things, and with SMS and MMS common issues are "almost always" carrier specific issues, not phone or even Android specific, and with iPhones users involved, it's very likely that if your messages are not getting to them is because iMessage is basically disappearing them, you should unregister your phone number from all their servers, preferably before you switch to Android, but always can be done after, and like it has been mentioned above, if you were part of group messages ask them to delete that group in order to be able to send and receive messages to those users as it should, shame on Apple for that dirty tactics that scares the hell out of the users and go back running to them after experiences such issues.

For last, the only thing you can try in your phone, IF it's a phone or App issue, is go to your Settings-Applications Manager-ALL and look for the Messages App and clear Cache and data and Force Stop it and then go back and try again to see, for a better experience and to enjoy the benefit of the Android OS where you don't need to get stuck with apps and you can switch to replace any original app in the phone, even main ones, like phone, Messages, calendars and others, you can also try Textra, one of the best Message apps in the whole store.

bullittmustang

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Did switching phones help your battery issues? This S6 has been the worst phone I have ever had, battery wise. Touch ID doesn't work either. I'm only 6 days in. Thinking of exchanging or returning.