Why aren't I receiving texts from anything but the hangouts app?

Portis403

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Not Receiving Texts from Anything but the Hangouts App

Hey everyone,

I'm currently having a major issue that I'm hoping I can get some assistance with. I currently do the majority of my texting from Google Hangouts on my computer. However on my phone, the only Android app that will actively sync these text messages (and receive new ones) is the hangouts android app. I'm trying to switch to another app while still being able to text from hangouts from my computer. Is this possible?

Provider: Sprint (# ported to Google Voice)
Phone: Android Galaxy S6

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Not Receiving Texts from Anything but the Hangouts App

Welcome to Android Central! Open Hangouts on your phone, swipe in from the left, and tap Settings>SMS. Does it say SMS Enabled? If so, tap it to change your default SMS app to something else. If you open any other SMS app on the phone, it will usually let you know it isn't the default, and ask you if you want to make it the default SMS app.

When you say you're texting via Hangouts on your computer, do you mean you're sending Hangouts instant messages? Hangouts IMs are not SMS (although you can merge SMS and Hangout IMs from the same contact in the Hangouts app, so that they appear in one thread). I don't think you can send SMS using Hangouts on your computer, unless maybe it's through Google Voice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress