S7 Active screen looks softer then S6 Active?

djarvik

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

so I got both phones right now (just got the S7 Active). What I did is pull up the same image on both phones and what I discovered alarmed me a bit. The image looks noticeably softer on S7 Active then on the S6 Active. This is a portrait of my son and looking at his hair, and various zooms on both phones I can clearly see that that S6A is sharper!

My question is; I am using the stock gallery APP on both phones; could it be that S7A has a new gallery app? ...that renders the images slightly softer?

A bit disappointed TBH with S7A at this point. The main reason for getting it was the SD card. I take a lot of pics and prefer to keep them on my phone. I am using my phone as a FLAC player as well.... so SD is a godsend. Otherwise I would stay with the S6A (at least for now, after 3 days of impressions). It is thinner, better looking (subjective) and I guess I am very much used to it....drops many, many, many underwater pics, salt and fresh water. No problems at all. Will all the S&A water issues, I am now afraid to take it into the pool with me.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't be too worried about the pool you have gotten yours late enough in the game that the issue should be fixed..there is an app to check your mfr date called phone info, if you were made late July you should be good to go. Just took mine for a little dunk in the pool this morning. IF it does fail they will replace. Honestly its better to try now with the year warranty on it for you than find out you have an issue later on. As for the pictures I'm not too sure I just went from a Nokia 830 to the S7 and I am very impressed with the quality, maybe a person using the phone longer would have more insight.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I may be in the minority, but I still maintain the camera on the Galaxy S6 which would include the S6 Active takes picture with more detail in good light than the Galaxy S7 include the Active. I believe it was Android Central that did a comparison and a 100% crop showed the difference in detail. I have both the S6 and S7 Edge and S7 Active and have taken hundreds of pictures with each.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
The poly coating on the s7 could be dulling the image slightly. The s6 is straight glass, the s7 has a plastic layer. Only way to tell if theres a quality difference is to open the pics on a pc and view them side by side.

djarvik

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
You maybe right, but opening same image that was taken on S6A on PC twice will not help in seeing the difference in screen sharpness on the phones :p

Again, same pic, taken with S6A, copied to S7A. Using stock gallery app and opening same image - S6A looks NOTICEABLY sharper.

Could be plastic as you say. If yes - it sux. I can't "un-see" what I saw now. S6A has a sharper screen. :(

djarvik

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I may be in the minority, but I still maintain the camera on the Galaxy S6 which would include the S6 Active takes picture with more detail in good light than the Galaxy S7 include the Active. I believe it was Android Central that did a comparison and a 100% crop showed the difference in detail. I have both the S6 and S7 Edge and S7 Active and have taken hundreds of pictures with each.

Spot on. S6A camera makes better images when conditions are right. No doubt at this point. Tried this morning same location-same-lighting-type of pics and S6A shows better detail, less software sharpening, and when zoomed it in - S6A is better by a good margin.

Makes me think twice about EVERY review I read. Seems like some bias at play, or marketing money.

S7A does focus better and has less noise. But the excessive sharpening and lack of said noise makes a worse pic, un-natural edges when zoomed.