Gallery APP Very slow

cjburt22

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi, recently my gallery app has started lagging when trying to view pictures. It takes about 3min to bring up any pictures. I've had the phone for about 6 months and haven't had issues until now. I do have a 64G sd with about 16G used. Only other factors I can think of is I do use several albums have sort my photos and have One Drive installed to back up my pictures on my desk top which I don't think should affect it.
Any help would be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to the App Manager, select Gallery, then Storage, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now open it again, and wait a few seconds for the database to rebuild. Does it still lag?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to the App Manager, select Gallery, then Storage, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now open it again, and wait a few seconds for the database to rebuild. Does it still lag?

Oh my God it's fixed! It's been lagging so much since I can remember. Thank you for this! I though it's just the way it is. Haha! Thank you! And no I'm not the person who posted the original query.

cjburt22

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
No that didn't help at all. As a matter of fact while waiting for it to pull up my pictures it finally popped up a message saying gallery is not responding, do I want to wait or close. I chose wait the first time with no response still and closed the second time. I'm gonna pull the SD and check it's speed and see how it does without it.

cjburt22

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Ok I removed the SD and everything worked fine. I can't find the class but I know I made sure it was at least 80mb/sec or whatever that's supposed to say on the package of the SD. It only has 210 pictures on it so I wouldn't think that's too many. Here's a picture of my SD.20161128_072055.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The SD card could be corrupt, defective, or counterfeit. Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt.

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can the computer read these files? Backup as much as you can right now, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html. If it finds bad sectors, and the photos aren't crucial to save, then go ahead and allow chkdsk to try repairing those sectors.

cjburt22

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Ok thanks, I will perform this in the morning. I've dealt with corrupt cards before and lost a lot of precious videos from my tachyon and go pro cameras. Where can I get a quality card?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Counterfeit cards are more of a problem if you buy them from random sellers on places like eBay or the Amazon Marketplace (i.e., not directly from Amazon). Stick with well-established stores.

SanDisk is definitely one of the better brands out there, but even SanDisk cards can become corrupted. If you're using 3rd party camera apps, perhaps there's a glitch in their code that's causing the corruption. But keep in mind that SD cards in general use relatively low quality memory chips, in comparison with onboard memory chips (according to an acquaintance of mine who's an engineer in that field). My recommendation is to use any SD card with caution, and to backup or sync that data on a regular basis to your computer or the cloud.

cjburt22

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Ok thanks for the info. I believe I bought these from Walmart and I do certainly back them up now. Hopefully your test will give me answers in the morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87