Silencing Incoming Notifications (Phone, Text, etc) - S7 Active

daniel.michael4724

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I've searched Google, here, and several other forums trying to find the answer for this and I'm not having any luck.............

I moved into my S7 Active back in January from an iPhone 6 Plus. I'd been using the 6 Plus for nearly 2 years so of course there was a little "learning curve" coming back to Android as well as retraining my muscle memory when it came to moving around on the screen and in menus, but I really like the phone & especially so since we recently got the update to Android Nougat.

One of the things I miss from my iPhone is that when I received a notification whether it was a phone call, text, whatever, I could just reach down and hit the volume up or down to silence it while it was in the holster on my belt. On my S7 Active it seems that isn't a luxury it has so it's a little frustrating. Even my Note 3 I had before the 6+ could do that. Where it comes in handy is when I'm on duty (public safety) and the phone goes off I could just reach down and silence it without pulling it out.

I have tried and tried with the Active to make that happen and I'm not getting anywhere. I've even gone page by page through the menus and settings and no luck. So I'm reaching out to the collective brain trust here to see if I'm missing something or if there's another way to make this work.

Please accept my thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!!

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The only way I see to make it work is to either have DND or Mute on while on duty.

Agreed, I just went through the manual and the only way to mute the ringer once it starts is to cover the screen or turn the phone face down on a table or desk. That obviously can't work if it's in your holster case so best bet is to put it in vibrate mode or DND/Mute, like 'TwitchPuppy' stated...

daniel.michael4724

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone. Unfortunately putting it on DND or Mute while on duty isn't an option because of an app we use called Active911 when being dispatched to a call that alerts us with the address, cross streets, and other pertinent call info, and as a compliment to that we also get an SMS/text message from our 911 center with the call address, etc. AND (lol), we use our phones for mobile CAD and receive messages that way also. I've tried putting it on vibrate but when it's in the OtterBox and in the holster on my duty belt you never feel it go off. The biggest thing is when I can't get to it right away to pull it out of my holster because of being hands on, or if I've got someone else's body fluids on me I don't want that transferring to my phone. To much s**t going around these days for all that LOL.

I'll keep exploring options. Thanks again for the help and suggestions!!!

*****EDIT******
WAIT lol............ I misunderstood how DND works. I thought it blocked out everything, I didn't realize you could pick and choose. I'll investigate this option a little more.

Last edited:

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone. Unfortunately putting it on DND or Mute while on duty isn't an option because of an app we use called Active911 when being dispatched to a call that alerts us with the address, cross streets, and other pertinent call info, and as a compliment to that we also get an SMS/text message from our 911 center with the call address, etc. AND (lol), we use our phones for mobile CAD and receive messages that way also. I've tried putting it on vibrate but when it's in the OtterBox and in the holster on my duty belt you never feel it go off. The biggest thing is when I can't get to it right away to pull it out of my holster because of being hands on, or if I've got someone else's body fluids on me I don't want that transferring to my phone. To much s**t going around these days for all that LOL.

I'll keep exploring options. Thanks again for the help and suggestions!!!

*****EDIT******
WAIT lol............ I misunderstood how DND works. I thought it blocked out everything, I didn't realize you could pick and choose. I'll investigate this option a little more.

Yeah, I allow "My Favorite Contacts" to bypass DND and it works fine - you could set up something like that!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty