Anybody know if it'll be sold Factory Unlocked? I don't really want it from carrier, AT ALL!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Probably won't be sold carrier free from target.

The Verizon one is factory sim unlocked, but has carrier bloat and doesn't fully support any of the other carriers.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

jbbrown79

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I would be interested in buying it unlocked as well. When did the S6 have a US version that was unlocked? A couple months after the initial release? Or longer? Maybe it will be similar with the S7.

I'm assuming the unlocked versions get quicker updates too, right? All I've had is an AT&T branded phone, so sorry for the silly question.:)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was talking about this little section:

Unlocked Cell Phones : Target

Last year they had the S6 there sooner than I thought, but it was too late cause I had already bought it from AT&T.

Obviously you don't care about carrier support for problems but....
Some of those might not be officially intended to be sold in the USA,which could be a problem if you need a warranty replacement from Samsung. Some places offer warranties through other third party sources.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I would be interested in buying it unlocked as well. When did the S6 have a US version that was unlocked?

The U.S. has never had a Galaxy carrier free version. They are not available for the U.S. market with its fragmented networks, similar to China.

There are, however, unbranded, unlocked, Global models that are GSM and will not work on the CDMA networks of Verizon, Sprint, U.S. Cellular, etc; and may only be partially compatible with some of the U.S. GSM bandwidths, depending on the carrier. These Global models are without bloatware, rootable and updated directly by Samsung but you may not be able to access some of your carriers features that are baked in to the various U.S. carrier models.

Last edited:

daviddlt

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I tried to get mine on Monday at best buy and when I asked they gave me the deer in the headlights look. After talking to a few reps I was told it may take a month until you see unlocked version sold here in the US. Ended up buying an inactivated S7, even then I had to give them an AT&T phone number for sim activation..bs!!

Posted via the Android Central App

jbbrown79

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
International Unlocked S7 on Ebay for $599 - Samsung Galaxy S7 SM G930F 32GB International Unlocked 4G LTE GSM Smartphone New | eBay

Really good price. I'm debating between this or getting an AT&T branded one. I've heard the GPU is suppose to be better on the US version and I don't know much about the Exynos processors. I've heard the camera sensors are different between US and International version as well. I would love quicker updates though!

daviddlt

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Problem with buying international is no warranty. I have read of others purchasing unlocked international only to have samsung deny warranty.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38