How do I configure the Galaxy S7 to receive group texts as sms instead of mms?

Xavier Ochoa

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I just made the switch from iPhone to the Galaxy about a month ago. So far, I really like the Samsung. However, the fact that I can no longer see group messages is really starting to frustrate me. Basically, my phone is telling me that all group texts will be sent/received as MMS messages and this is extremely inefficient for me because I will receive a message but I won't be able to actually download it and see it. All of my family and friends are iPhone users. Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I changed my number as I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile and I am also currently stationed in Germany. Again, it is only group messaging that is a pain in the *** because I will be notified of a message just to see "No subject - Message Size: #KB" and an arrow to download the message, yet very rarely download. I literally woke up to 117 messages and could not download a single one. If you guys could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

You can set up group messages as texts ONLY for those you send (Messages app, Settings, More Settings, Multimedia Messages, switch off 'Group Conversations'; you can also check your auto-retrieve settings there). But bear in mind that should you do this, all replies you do to group messages will be sent out as individual text ones, so the group messaging feature will be lost (people getting your messages will actually just get one text from you, not from the group).

iMessage works differently than MMS. It's more akin to internet-based messaging apps like Whatsapp or Facebook's Messenger and doesn't use SMS/MMS between iMessage users.

In your case, since you're on Android, you'd have to receive those messages as MMS for Group/Picture messages or SMS for individual, text-only messages. A workaround is to have everyone switch to an internet-based messaging system like the aforementioned apps. Also, even though you're getting MMS, you SHOULD be able to download them, so I'd check with your carrier to see why that is not the case.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Had the same problem when I switched from iPhone. I tried doing those settings and still has issues. It really sucks. Yes there are other data based apps like Whatsapp and Hangouts but have to tell your friends to download a separate app just to chat with you is a pain. Sad to say if most of your family and friends are on iPhone you may want to consider switching back. Especially if you're overseas and imessage is the main source of communication.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
movefla19