S8+ looked - and felt - great in my hand

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
So thought I should stop at my local BB today, just to make certain I wasn't going to regret plunking down some major $$$ for the S8+. Glad I did, because as far as handling and looks go, it alleviated all my concerns - and the Orchid Gray looked great in person too.

All the hubbub about the fingerprint sensor seems silly, as my hand (right-handed) and index finger fell right into place. I've been using larger phones for a bit (Pixel XL, Moto Z Force, iPhone 7 Plus), so maybe if you're coming from a smaller phone, it'll seem weird, but it couldn't have been a bigger non-issue. As for the Orchid Gray, it is NOT a garish purple, for anybody concerned about that, as I was. In fact, it didn't look very purple at all in the BB light. Seems like a bit of a chameleon, changing color depending on light. Pretty cool.

Now I'm hoping Samsung doesn't **** me off with below average battery life and sluggishness, like happened with the S7 Edge models I tried last year.

Looking forward to giving it a go. Who knows, maybe I'll like it enough to keep the same phone for more than a few months. Yeah, right. :)

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a question how does it feel in your pocket? Do you find it at all awkward especially when sitting down?

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Now I'm hoping Samsung doesn't **** me off with below average battery life and sluggishness, like happened with the S7 Edge models I tried last year.

Ha! SO true! Gave up my S7 Edge for an iPhone 7 within a few months due to massive standby battery drain and noticeable lag and never looked back. My iPhone 7 has phenomenal battery life and amazing responsiveness but I miss the flexibility/customization of Android.

Have an S8+ on pre-order. If this one doesn't work out for me, I think I'll be done with Samsung's for good so I'm REALLY hoping they finally got it right this time after spending nearly a grand on this beast!

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. Let's keep the thread on topic please. If you don't like a post, please behave like an adult and simply scroll past. If you feel a post violates forum rules, please report it so the mod team can take a look. Thanks!

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
So thought I should stop at my local BB today, just to make certain I wasn't going to regret plunking down some major $$$ for the S8+. Glad I did, because as far as handling and looks go, it alleviated all my concerns

Firstly, Congratulations on your new Galaxy S8+. :D This is one of the reasons i never purchase a device before i have held in my hands. We read some things online that make us worried about certain features, weight or size and then we start to doubt out purchase. So i think it's important to hold it in your hand and then make the call :)

Samsung doesn't [annoy] me off with below average battery life and sluggishness, like happened with the S7 Edge models I tried last year.

Ive seen some great reviews about its battery life. Around the 6+ SOT :) Im personally very impressed with that. That was also done with the screen brightness on high. So, if you drop that to below half, who know what numbers you could potentially hit.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
So thought I should stop at my local BB today, just to make certain I wasn't going to regret plunking down some major $$$ for the S8+. Glad I did, because as far as handling and looks go, it alleviated all my concerns - and the Orchid Gray looked great in person too.

All the hubbub about the fingerprint sensor seems silly, as my hand (right-handed) and index finger fell right into place. I've been using larger phones for a bit (Pixel XL, Moto Z Force, iPhone 7 Plus), so maybe if you're coming from a smaller phone, it'll seem weird, but it couldn't have been a bigger non-issue. As for the Orchid Gray, it is NOT a garish purple, for anybody concerned about that, as I was. In fact, it didn't look very purple at all in the BB light. Seems like a bit of a chameleon, changing color depending on light. Pretty cool.

Looking forward to giving it a go. Who knows, maybe I'll like it enough to keep the same phone for more than a few months. Yeah, right. :)

I played with one at Best Buy yesterday and the FPS is in a terrible location.

Just because it's a non-issue for you doesn't mean it's not a non-issue for others.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a question how does it feel in your pocket? Do you find it at all awkward especially when sitting down?

Coming from a larger phone or about the same i couldn't imagine there being any noticeable difference. My note 5 is almost identical in size.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Why should he care either way?

People mention their opinions and assume everyone else shares the exact same opinion. There's 7 billion+ people on this planet with 7 billion+ different opinions. No one opinion is more valid than the other.

By the way, those who disagree can also feel free to post their opinions.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
People mention their opinions and assume everyone else shares the exact same opinion. There's 7 billion+ people on this planet with 7 billion+ different opinions. No one opinion is more valid than the other.

By the way, those who disagree can also feel free to post their opinions.

Don't disagree there. But ultimately purchasing a new device is a personal and subjective thing. In a public forum, sure opinions are heightened because everyone wants to be right.

But as I sit here unboxing my S8, all that nonsense drops away...