Wireless charging issues

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I can't justify the cost of one of those new fancy Samsung chargers so I'm sticking with slow charging wirelessly for now. There's always the option of plugging in if I need speed :)

It's what i'm doing too. It's a PITA but it's doable for the time being. I think I shall let the dust settle on this issue first before exploring any options as it seems that no-one actually has definitive and objective information on this issue yet.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
If you do quick charge using a cable does that kick in the fast/normal option in the phone? I don't use it, normal wireless goes from 35% to 100% in about 2.5 hours. I can be without for that long. I also never fast charged by S7e but that did have the fast/normal our of the box I believe.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If you do quick charge using a cable does that kick in the fast/normal option in the phone? I don't use it, normal wireless goes from 35% to 100% in about 2.5 hours. I can be without for that long. I also never fast charged by S7e but that did have the fast/normal our of the box I believe.

Yes cable charging does fast charge my phone. I only have one socket free by my bed so it's a pain having to disconnect the wireless charger to plug in the cable but I guess I shall just relegate the fast wireless charger to a drawer and stick to cable until this issue is resolved.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
No issues on my S8 + yet with 2 seperate wireless chargers one is fast one is not both Samsung. But its only day 2. I think the cables and plug do matter if I'm not mistaken. Also getting amazing battery life on max brightness all day general use 15 hours now at 30%.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
No issues on my S8 + yet with 2 seperate wireless chargers one is fast one is not both Samsung. But its only day 2. I think the cables and plug do matter if I'm not mistaken. Also getting amazing battery life on max brightness all day general use 15 hours now at 30%.

Well for what it's worth my choetech wireless charger is plugged into a Ravpower brick that has both "smart" and QC 3.0 USB slots. I can't use the QC 3.0 one for fast charging because it pauses repeatedly. I have to keep it plugged into the "smart" outlet and it charges fine, just definitely not "fast charging".

I use either the cable that came with the choetech charger or an Anker or Aukey cable. I've also tried the Samsung adaptive wall charger and cable, no dice. The problem, as far as I can tell, is the wireless charger itself.

Last edited:

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got off a live chat with Samsung support who said to me that TMobile has disabled the fast wireless charging option. I hope to hell they are wrong (as they often are), so can anyone on Tmobile WITH the fast wireless charging option please chime in and confirm?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
An article on SamMobile would seem to disagree with Samsung support as it blames Samsung for (potentially) disabling fast charge on older chargers so they won't harm the S8's battery. Supposition on their part as they also say it could be a firmware bug. No mention of only one carrier.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
An article on SamMobile would seem to disagree with Samsung support as it blames Samsung for (potentially) disabling fast charge on older chargers so they won't harm the S8's battery. Supposition on their part as they also say it could be a firmware bug. No mention of only one carrier.

OK, so with that theory, If I go to Best Buy and put my phone on a new Samsung fast wireless charger, the option should appear.

Basically, before I throw money at a Samsung charger (or a third party fast wireless charger confirmed to work with my S8+), I want to make sure it can fast wireless charge first.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I just got off a live chat with Samsung support who said to me that TMobile has disabled the fast wireless charging option. I hope to hell they are wrong (as they often are), so can anyone on Tmobile WITH the fast wireless charging option please chime in and confirm?

Mine works fine with the older Samsung fast wireless charger. I use one at home and one at work.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Mine works fine with the older Samsung fast wireless charger. I use one at home and one at work.

I knew Samsung was talking out their butt and i'm glad to get it confirmed. Thank you.

Now I just need to drill down to see if the wireless fast charging option appears if I place it on an official Samsung Fast Wireless charging pad.

I think my third-party charging pad, bought before the S8 was available, may be the issue and I hear that newer ones have rectified this but it's hellishly difficult finding out which ones on Amazon or elsewhere have been updated to fix this issue. Especially since the one I bought still says it is compatible with the S8, like it did before the phone was available. SMH

jacker

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a pleson fast charge that I just bought off of Amazon and its been working perfectly the last day and a half.

On T-Mobile as well using an S8+

Last edited:

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Mike1117

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
My Mercedes has a built in wireless charging pad. The S8+ is a hair too long to fit so it actually sits tilting with the top of the phone touching the pad but the back is lifted up in the air about 1/4" at the rear. Even not completely touching the pad the phone was being charged. This charging pad was always slow, so not sure if it would charge faster if I had the S8 and it was fully touching, but it works. I keep a USB C cord in the car to charge it faster if needed.

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I went to Best Buy today and hooked up one of their new leather-faced Samsung fast wireless chargers and the option for fast wireless charging appeared on my phone! Once toggled on, the phone started fast charging wirelessly like a charm, so the issue was either my charger (Elephas third party POS), the lead (third party micro USB from an indeterminate company) or the Galaxy S8 fast charging block (unlikely).

I'm a happy boy now though.

I also got to look at the Gear S3 smartwatches and would've bought the Classic there any then if I didn't have $200 of Amazon vouchers sitting in my account.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I have last years samsung fast charger where the phone stands up. I put the phone on the charger with like 11% for its first ever charge since getting the phone and it said from 11% it was going to take 2 and a half hours for a full charge. Does this sound like my charger is working right? I mean i know it won't take 15 minutes but 2 and a half hours to charge full from 11% does not sound right.
Both of my chargers take 2.5 hours to charge from 10-20% to full. Ones the same as you and the other is a Choetech charging stand. The funny thing is when my Choetech doesn't activate fast charging on my phone it takes the same amount of time as when it does and when I use my Samsung charging stand.

So I'm guessing it's something to do with the software on the phone.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site

I have a T-mobile S8+. Both my fast charging Samsung pad and stand allow me to FAST charge wirelessly.

Hope that helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa