Battery dropping a lot of charge!! How to fix it?? HELP!!!!

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
On my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 when i go on the internet or playing a game like Temple Run 2, Gangster Vegas, Flick Shoot 2 lots more and it only happens from when i have around 30-35% charge left and downwards for some bizzare reason the battery always drops a lot of charge sometimes it goes from lets say 34% to 18% or from 17% to 8% nearly every time even with the power saving mode being on and it usually happens when i have been leaving the Tab Pro 8.4 on standby for over a day and it is very very annoying and i have never had this problem before. :( :(

And it never happens the battery dropping charge a lot when i watch videos and when i just leave the Tab Pro 8.4 on standby the battery drains normally!!

So i was just wondering Why is the battery dropping a lot of charge??? is the Battery failling and how to fix it?? Or is it because that i have done a factory reset lots of the times so is that why the battery is failing or not working probably/dropping charge a lot??

How to stop the battery dropping a lot of charge?? Has anyone had this problem before?? I really really need some help on this!!!

By the way i have been using the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 for nearly 2 years now!!

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Aside from the condition of the battery after 2 years of use, the apps you are using may be battery intensive. There’s not much you can do other than trying not to multitask when playing these games. Also consider lowering the screen brightness a bit to save some battery while playing.

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Aside from the condition of the battery after 2 years of use, the apps you are using may be battery intensive. There’s not much you can do other than trying not to multitask when playing these games. Also consider lowering the screen brightness a bit to save some battery while playing.

But surely dropping charge a lot like from around 35%, 30% to 18%, 6% instead of just draining the battery normally while playing games and especailly going on the internet web surfing is definitely not right and it definitely should NOT be happening!!!! :/

And even when i put the sceen brightness low is STILL drops charge a lot!!! :/

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The battery might be aging, which means it doesn't hold a charge as well, and drains more quickly. This might seem more pronounced as the battery level gets lower, because the battery sensor software can be less accurate at these lower levels, and therefore give a wider range of error. In other words, a reading of 20% might actually mean the battery is somewhere between 10 and 30%, rather than 19 to 21% On top of that, games are almost always going to use more battery than watching videos or keeping the tablet on standby, so this could lead to the faster drop at that point.

If this is happening consistently, it may mean that the battery is really showing signs of wear. You may have to consider replacing the battery.

Daz2014

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Have you got the Facebook app installed ? If so try force stopping it for a few days and compare battery life then.Facebook is a notorious battery killer

Andie708

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I've attached a screenshot from the Settings/Battery screen of my android phone that shows the battery level can be wildly inaccurate. In the image, each of the three huge jumps in the battery level corresponds to having powered the phone off then on. (The phone was not connected to a charger during any of the period of time shown in the screenshot, but even if a charger had been connected, that wouldn't explain a jump of 50% or more in about a minute.) Also, note the 133% usage reported for the Screen... I don't understand how a service could really use more than 100% of the power. (I've also seen it report usage greater than 100% for Phone Idle.)

Once after the level had appeared to reach 1%; I powered my phone off and on (which caused the percentage to jump) and then played videos for two hours. That proved the battery still had a lot of charge remaining even though the battery level had fallen to 1%.

People often ask for help in forums because it appears their phone's battery drains fast. Then other people always respond that the battery must be replaced or that some power-hungry app(s) must be rapidly draining the battery. I'm posting this message because there's a third possible explanation: The battery might actually have a lot of charge remaining, and only appear to be draining fast because the battery level percentage is very inaccurate.

You can quickly test whether your device has the problem: When the battery level appears low, power the phone off and then on, and see whether the battery level jumped. (It needs to be a power off then on. Simply rebooting the phone won't make the level jump.)

My phone is a ZTE Obsidian. I tried replacing the battery with the battery from my brother's Obsidian, which has almost never been used and is almost always powered off. Using his battery, the battery level still behaved similarly: wildly inaccurate, appearing to drain fast but jumping after a power off/on.

I've tried the battery level calibration procedure (charging to 100%, then discharging until the phone shuts itself off, then charging again to 100%) but that didn't make the battery level behave any better. If anyone knows how to make the battery level behave reasonably, please post the procedure!

Because the battery level is so inaccurate, I've learned to pay more attention to the battery voltage than the battery level. Many third party apps can display the voltage; two examples are Battery Log and Elixir 2. In order to increase the battery's years of service, I avoid deep discharges and avoid full charges. You may have encountered advice to keep the battery within a range of about 20% to 80% to increase its years of service, but the inaccurate battery level interferes with that strategy. So I try to keep the voltage between 3.5V and 4V... I plug in the charger when the voltage drops below 3.5V and disconnect the charger when the voltage climbs to 4V. The voltage can behave oddly too (due to changes in load, or connecting/disconnecting the charger, or needing some recovery time for ions to diffuse back after a heavy load) but not crazy behavior like battery level does. To make it semi-automatic, I installed E-Robot (an automation app similar to Tasker) and created a custom E-Robot script that periodically checks the voltage and makes a sound when the voltage is outside the desired range, which prompts me to connect or disconnect the charger.

ZTE Obsidian Battery Strange Behavior - Screenshot_2016-12-01-23-42-22.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer