Uh-oh Cracked Screen! (Only 3 weeks old - Gear S2 3G on Verizon)

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
gearS2crack.jpg

Bummer.

Well look what I found on my Gear S2 watch! Spiderweb crack on the backside! (I smudged out the device info in photoshop) I have no idea how this happened as the watch has NOT been dropped or banged hard at all. I've had a Gear 2 Neo for 1.5 years and no issues at all and it's been banged around a lot. This is 2 weeks old! I'd imagine a front screen cracking one day but I never thought about the back/underside screen cracking (where the heart rate monitor is located!)

It's too bad too because I got this as a gift for my wife and she was resistant at first but I've seen her use it more and more over the last 2 weeks. She doesn't even know it's cracked yet but I just picked it up while she was sleeping and happened to look at the underside and saw the spiderweb crack and small hole! Ugh!

Last edited:

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Just called Verizon and I can apparently return/exchange it before Jan.15th as part of their Holiday return policy. Still crazy that that happened. No idea how. (UPDATE: NOPE! Can't return it because it's damaged...even though its still within the return period!)

Last edited:

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Crap!

Well now despite what the VZW phone rep said, when I went to the Verizon Store they won't take it back because even though their Holiday return policy goes to the 15th and it's only the 12th, because I had disconnected the line that apparently voided the warranty. I disconnected the line because my wife doesn't use the watch independent of her phone but I knew she'd find the phone speaker useful. So it works essentially like the BT version, but with a bigger battery, GPS, and speakerphone. After further investigation and calling Verizon back, they were nice and didn't seem to understand why I couldn't return it. So THEY called the store and they said the store told them that because it was damaged I couldn't return it. Even though it was within their return period.

But I'm stuck now wondering what the heck to do about this screen. I'm gonna look for where it says that you can't return a damaged item within the return period. They said "try Samsung" but that's a lost cause as I just did a support chat through Samsung with Paneep and I wasn't even sure if he knew what a Gear S2 was. After a long delay he basically said, we can't help. Wow, this is killer support all around.

But even if I wanted to pay for it to get fixed, who does that for the back of these watches? I'll look into 3rd party places but man this sucks.

Last edited:

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh what a day...

Called Verizon - They said it's returnable (within their return period) so just return it.
Walked in to Verizon Store where I bought it - They said they can't return it because I disconnected my line.
Called Verizon - They said I should be able to return it. So they called Verizon Store and the store said it's damaged so return policy is voided.
Called the Store to hear it first hand - Got VZW support line and they said I should call Samsung.
Called 1-800-Samsung - and after a 30 minute call she said I can bring it to the Samsung CS place in LA (not far from me) and they'll fix it for a price. She didn't have an estimate because she had no record of this before.
Called the Samsung CS place just in case and they said they don't fix watches so I should call the corporate office in Texas. She gave me that number... 1-800-Samsung.

Round and round we go. Such a lovely experience!

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Sent the watch in to Samsung to be fixed. They finally got back to me and it's gonna set me back $70.31 (which includes return shipping from Texas back to Southern California). So not too bad. But I'm still bummed that any physical damage isn't covered by any sort of warranty. On one hand I guess that makes sense, but still at only a few weeks old, to know the original warranty is already gone is a bummer. Granted, they said I'll get another 90 days of warranty after the fix. Figured I'd post this in case it happens to any one else.

It is what it is.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Sent the watch in to Samsung to be fixed. They finally got back to me and it's gonna set me back $70.31 (which includes return shipping from Texas back to Southern California). So not too bad. But I'm still bummed that any physical damage isn't covered by any sort of warranty. On one hand I guess that makes sense, but still at only a few weeks old, to know the original warranty is already gone is a bummer. Granted, they said I'll get another 90 days of warranty after the fix. Figured I'd post this in case it happens to any one else.

It is what it is.
How is the warranty gone if they won't cover this damage under warranty?! That's not right!

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
How is the warranty gone if they won't cover this damage under warranty?! That's not right!

Apparently any physical damage is not covered and voids the warranty. Lovely isn't it. The watch is now on hold as they don't have the "parts". Figured they'd have the parts being that it's sent to Samsung's headquarters in Texas. Hmmm. And so it continues...

Dora Hart

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
View attachment 213014

Bummer.

Well look what I found on my Gear S2 watch! Spiderweb crack on the backside! (I smudged out the device info in photoshop) I have no idea how this happened as the watch has NOT been dropped or banged hard at all. I've had a Gear 2 Neo for 1.5 years and no issues at all and it's been banged around a lot. This is 2 weeks old! I'd imagine a front screen cracking one day but I never thought about the back/underside screen cracking (where the heart rate monitor is located!)

It's too bad too because I got this as a gift for my wife and she was resistant at first but I've seen her use it more and more over the last 2 weeks. She doesn't even know it's cracked yet but I just picked it up while she was sleeping and happened to look at the underside and saw the spiderweb crack and small hole! Ugh!

Dora Hart

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi
My gears s2 has done the exact same and I have owned it less than a month and I am so careful with it. Samsung want me to send it to them so their tech people can look at it I think it exploded on the charger like their s7 notes are. I know they will try and blame me but it only goes from my wrist to charger.

LauraSomebody

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
My Gear S2 has exactly the same thing - and it radiates out from the near center like that - I bought it this summer and wear it daily and have never had any problems with it and didn't EVEN KNOW it was cracked until finally decided to change the wrist band. I have no earthly idea how long it has been cracked. But give the few folks here with same issue - I'm giving serious consideration to the "overheated battery" notion. I mean, it is cracked at the point where it makes contact with the magnetic wireless charger. This concerns me.

But THANK YOU for posting the update on how much it cost to fix. I will likely do the same since it is my daily tool - I have become very dependent on it.

LauraSomebody

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for updating on how much it cost to fix and that they did indeed fix it. I JUST NOW noticed mine is cracked nearly exact same position/pattern with an odd "blowout hole" in the center just like your picture. And I have no idea how long because this is the first time I have changed the wristband and that is when I noticed it. I wear it daily for last 6 mos and charge it 2-3 times a week. Given the similar pattern and the other user who has same problem it does give merit to the whole "overheated battery" notion that Samsung has been plagued with. Anyone else have this issue?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty