Overheating?

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I've checked, and can't find anything, but I happen to notice that my Moment seems to get really toasty, then shuts down. I have to wait for it to cool down, reseat the battery and then it's able to come back on..

This has happened more than once since I picked it up on Saturday. Anyone else have this issue? If so, what was your resolution, or should I just take it back, and say "Gimme another"?

prncssmelissa

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Honestly - I'd take it back and ask for a replacement - tell them what's happening - as long as you're within 30 days - they'll replace (hopefully) without questioning too much.

I'm on my 3rd Moment - so far, this one seems to be AWESOME! It did something like you describe - cutting itself off/locking up and the only way to restart was to pull the battery. My current phone did it 3 or 4 times after I first got it, but we're going on 3 days now without a battery pull and the charge is holding up REALLY well.

Hopefully the first two I got were just out of a bad batch (from the same Best Buy - the third time I went to the one across town and it's awesome!) - and the third is my charm :)

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Okay, that might be it.. I bought mine at BB as well. I think I'll be switching it during my lunch tomorrow..

SquintySteam

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Mine has gotten pretty warm but has never shut down because of it. It appears when I turn the GPS off it gets cooler but I'm not sure that's the culprit or just coincidence.

I'm still struggling to get the charge to last though. I'm on my 3rd recycling of the battery.

prncssmelissa

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I haven't really "cycled" my battery per se, i've just waited till it was dead/almost dead and then threw it on the charger...I've seen several battery posts about how to cycle it out and whatnot. None of those were successful for me with my first two phones, so this one I'm flying by the seat of my pants! lol...So far - it's working! Good luck!

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Well see how Moment #2 goes. So far brought it home and am doing restores (thank gawd for the backup apps).

Stiv_X

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Well see how Moment #2 goes. So far brought it home and am doing restores (thank gawd for the backup apps).

What backup app do you use? My wife has the Moment (I have a Hero), and I would like to ensure we can do backups if the phone was to die for some reason.

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased mine today. I'm actually typing this post on it! It is a tad toasty though with about 3 apps running not counting the task manager I use.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
What backup app do you use? My wife has the Moment (I have a Hero), and I would like to ensure we can do backups if the phone was to die for some reason.

I'm using myBackup to back it up (but after reading a post by the developer, due to their attitude). Unfortunately to do a restore you have to purchase the Pro version. So I bit the bullet, and it worked.. sort of.. I still had to go back through and reset a lot of settings.. none of the app data stayed, etc.. so I'd suggest looking at maybe Sprite backup, or maybe someone has a better solution..

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've installed a custom ROM, and the CL14 update that I found on the net (since no Sprint stores in my area are able to figure it out), and it doesn't heat up near as much.> i haven't had it shut down since the updates.

robbies7897

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
LOL. That comment just made my day! Thanks for that though. I'm gonna look into it and see what I can find. I'm just afraid of trying anything like that with my phone lol.