Rooting Phone - Still able to upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2?

kid320

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I have the Samsung Captivate running in ATT's network. I rooted the phone the other day to enable the sideloading of applications. It occured to me that I was still running Android 2.1, as 2.2 is not yet available for my phone.

My question is: When 2.2 does become available, am I going to be able to upgrade easily, or will I have to take any special steps to do so?

I remember hearing that people with a jailbroken iPhone had trouble updating or had to take special steps. I doubt this is the same from Android, but I am just making sure I don't end up bricking my phone when I do this.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
as long as it is the stock OS with root then there should not be a problem with the 2.2 release. the only problem is that you will lose root access. your best bet is to not update when it is released and instead wait for the file to get uploaded online with root access.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
the only problem is that yes their will probably be a root method discovered in time but the time it will take for sombody to do so is not concrete. it took some time to root 2.1 when it was released for the droid. if you want root access i would wait for a update.zip file instead of updating the official firmware

IOWA

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
the only problem is that yes their will probably be a root method discovered in time but the time it will take for sombody to do so is not concrete. it took some time to root 2.1 when it was released for the droid. if you want root access i would wait for a update.zip file instead of updating the official firmware

if you need root access, then I second this.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

bluflax

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
as long as it is the stock OS with root then there should not be a problem with the 2.2 release. the only problem is that you will lose root access. your best bet is to not update when it is released and instead wait for the file to get uploaded online with root access.

I hope you don't mind me butting in, but this discussion is along the lines of my question so I want to save the forum from a new, and most likely repetitive, post.

I have not rooted my Droid X. Rooting is a whole new world to me and will most likely take some time for me to figure it all out. So that being said and with FroYo on the horizon, would you suggest that I wait until after the FroYo upload before taking on rooting?

Thank you!!

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
the motorola x is a tough one. seeing as the boot loader is locked down, that means you can't really flash roms. this being said, once you do the official update you will lose root access. i wish their was a bright side to is but i can't think of any. from what i understand, once you load the update (rooted or unrooted) you will have to wait for a new exploit to root you X, which could be soon after but who knows.

utahrootbeer

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this is a dumb question but why do you need root access? I rooted my AT&T Captivate to get rid of all of the extra crap, but i will take that back to get flash video that comes with froyo.